Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

JaseWescott wrote: have you tried Nickel Brook's Ginger Beer? very spicy.
Sounds like a good option for the Northern Buck, and I believe Milos sells this and the Root Beer at his pub, so I will give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Belgian wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:have you tried Nickel Brook's Ginger Beer? very spicy. Nickel Brook Root Beer is amazing! :D it's hard to find Root Beer that's made from scratch, most of them (A&W, MUG, Stewart, Barqs, Pop Shoppe, etc) are brewed with extract.
I have not, will check out NB sodas these sound fun.

I do like Muskoka stuff. There's some flavor and balance. Those would mix like a champ. Reeds possibly as well.
cratez wrote:
JaseWescott wrote: have you tried Nickel Brook's Ginger Beer? very spicy.
Sounds like a good option for the Northern Buck, and I believe Milos sells this and the Root Beer at his pub, so I will give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up.
oh yeah, this is a real Ginger beer and I was not prepared for how spicy it would be going down the throat (it's definitely no Canada Dry :oops: ) so if you are not into that I would recommend the Root beer ALL DAY LONG specially if you got kids.

https://nickelbrook.com/collections/sod ... inger-beer

https://nickelbrook.com/collections/sod ... -root-beer

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Question for those of you exploring the craft soda scene. Anybody come across a good unsweetened tonic water in the local market?

Personally I just don't like sweetened drinks, sugar or otherwise. I get that quinine can be a potent substance without some sweetener, but I actually had a totally unsweetened one years ago. It was at place in San Francisco, I don't recall the name of the place. It was near 21st Amendment. The person I was the guest of talked me into having a gin and tonic made with a local artisanal gin and artisanal tonic. The bartender actually insisted I sample both ingredients on their own before he mixed them. The tonic turned my face inside out, but it was amazing! I was a bit concerned it would overpower the gin, but the cocktail was perfect. It was like I could identify every singe herb in the gin dancing in my mouth.

So far the closest I have gotten is the Spirit Tree Light tonic, but it pales in comparison.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Tapsucker wrote:Question for those of you exploring the craft soda scene. Anybody come across a good unsweetened tonic water in the local market?

Personally I just don't like sweetened drinks, sugar or otherwise. I get that quinine can be a potent substance without some sweetener, but I actually had a totally unsweetened one years ago. It was at place in San Francisco, I don't recall the name of the place. It was near 21st Amendment. The person I was the guest of talked me into having a gin and tonic made with a local artisanal gin and artisanal tonic. The bartender actually insisted I sample both ingredients on their own before he mixed them. The tonic turned my face inside out, but it was amazing! I was a bit concerned it would overpower the gin, but the cocktail was perfect. It was like I could identify every singe herb in the gin dancing in my mouth.

So far the closest I have gotten is the Spirit Tree Light tonic, but it pales in comparison.

Fever tree(I’m assuming that’s what you mean, not Spirit tree)has some nice tonics...the elderflower being my top choice.
But, your best route would be to buy one of the high end Tonic syrups available. Add your own sparkling water and you can adjust it exactly how you like it. It’s much more cost effective than Fever tree.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

sofakingdrunk wrote:But, your best route would be to buy one of the high end Tonic syrups available. Add your own sparkling water and you can adjust it exactly how you like it. It’s much more cost effective than Fever tree.
This is completely foreign territory for me. Where do you buy these tonic syrups?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:Question for those of you exploring the craft soda scene. Anybody come across a good unsweetened tonic water in the local market?

Fever tree(I’m assuming that’s what you mean, not Spirit tree)has some nice tonics...the elderflower being my top choice.
But, your best route would be to buy one of the high end Tonic syrups available. Add your own sparkling water and you can adjust it exactly how you like it. It’s much more cost effective than Fever tree.
Yes Fever Tree. My bad.

Tell us more about these syrups. The only ones I have seen, and it has been a while, were sweetened. A straight up extract would be very interesting. I already keep an extra keg of seltzer hooked up to my home brew keg manifold.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Badlands Evolve Or Die. This is such an outstanding beer. So many hops went in this can.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Having the new Pivovar Godspeed Pilsner Style Lager which is a tribute to the Czech original. Extremely fresh at just over two days since packaged, with a long bitter Saaz hop palate and a biscuity body, it's another winner. Apple fruit and bread, yummy. This beer actually wants a schnitzel with it, so maybe I'll go by Polonez and get takeout.

Also picked up the Dunkel-esquire Czech Amber Lager, another new one also made with the Saaz hop. Nice early Christmas presents, thank you Bim!
The Shop.

Update, wow the Poltomavy Lezak 11° Czech Amber Lager is utterly delicious. Another killer offering from our local on Coxwell. Packaged on 25 November and now just fully settled down and ready to enjoy.

Also, Godspeed just released a Vermont-inspired IPA featuring the addition of blood orange!

In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Over the last couple days:

Muddy York Jail Fire
Godspeed Poltomavy Lezak 11 - Agreed with Belgian on this one - glad I have a few more for to bring me into the new year
Left Field BBA Blackburne
Left Field 10 cent Beer Night
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Tapsucker wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:

Yes Fever Tree. My bad.

Tell us more about these syrups. The only ones I have seen, and it has been a while, were sweetened. A straight up extract would be very interesting. I already keep an extra keg of seltzer hooked up to my home brew keg manifold.

I’ve only had a couple, and I’m pretty sure there is some sweetener in them...but not nearly as much as usual. Plus you can use as much or little as you like.
I’ve enjoyed the Jack Rudy and 3/4oz brands. Both bought at Cocktail Emporium in Toronto. Although I’m sure google etc will have all sorts of syrups out there.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

A couple of real standouts recently.
Barncat Sweet Release-Their BBA barley wine was outstanding and is the best beer I’ve had all year hands down. Can’t believe I only bought 2

Barncat Brandy barrel aged Rat Queen-also excellent and probably my favourite variant I’ve had of this beer. So good.

Nickelbrook Kentucky bastard-I think this might be their best batch to date, tasting great.

Reverance barrel works Basic-I downright hated this beer. Something about the bourbon/cinnamon/lactose flavours mingling just completely turned me off, I don’t think I even finished the bottle. I seem to be in the minority on this one, but not for me. Not sure what I’m going to do with my other bottle.

Reverance Baltic Void-this one was a masterpiece. A bit sour-Bretty,smoky,sweet/tannic/bourbon all at once. Very interesting.

Tooth and Nail Pilsner-pretty much perfection.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Hey Man,

I need to commend you on this 'review'.
sofakingdrunk wrote:Reverance barrel works Basic-I downright hated this beer. Something about the bourbon/cinnamon/lactose flavours mingling just completely turned me off, I don’t think I even finished the bottle. I seem to be in the minority on this one, but not for me. Not sure what I’m going to do with my other bottle.
One thing that has always bothered me is when people state opinions as facts. Happens a lot if you look for it, and sometimes it's OK if the opinion is widely held, but it's often one of those things that just grinds on me.

But this was not done at all here. You hated the beer, which is fine. But you didn't say the beer itself was bad. So you clearly gave an opinion without trying to state it as a fact about the beer. For me, this is great.

Now, maybe you were influenced by others, as you say you seem to be in the minority, but regardless, IMHO, this is how a negative review should be done.

Cheers.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Collective Arts Rhyme & Reason - It's been a while since I had one of these but I'm pleasantly surprised that this two-month old can is quite tasty. The nose takes me right back to the West Coast Era, when this was one of the best things hoppy in Ontario. I'll be on the lookout for some fresher cans which I imagine will be even better.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Boon Kriek Mariage Parfait.

Same beer I had exactly one year ago. Nice, not fading too much but time to drink it.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Hey Man,

I need to commend you on this 'review'.
sofakingdrunk wrote:Reverance barrel works Basic-I downright hated this beer. Something about the bourbon/cinnamon/lactose flavours mingling just completely turned me off, I don’t think I even finished the bottle. I seem to be in the minority on this one, but not for me. Not sure what I’m going to do with my other bottle.
One thing that has always bothered me is when people state opinions as facts. Happens a lot if you look for it, and sometimes it's OK if the opinion is widely held, but it's often one of those things that just grinds on me.

But this was not done at all here. You hated the beer, which is fine. But you didn't say the beer itself was bad. So you clearly gave an opinion without trying to state it as a fact about the beer. For me, this is great.

Now, maybe you were influenced by others, as you say you seem to be in the minority, but regardless, IMHO, this is how a negative review should be done.

Cheers.

Cheers, yeah absolutely agree. One’s opinions is so often stated as being factual; from either an ignorant or self-indulgent point of view, that it becomes quite annoying.