Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Brewpub (Queen's Quay / Jarvis)

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sstackho
Bar Fly

Great Lakes Brewpub (Queen's Quay / Jarvis)

Post by sstackho »

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I hope this is better executed than the Amsterdam brewpub. Yeah have some of the flagship beers on, hopefully brought in from the main facility, while the on-premises equipment should be used for experimentation (and be well stocked!) and anything that proves popular scale up for broader distribution at the Etobicoke location.
lister

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I'm excited to check it out post-pandemic.

Something I would love to see is the ability to pre-order some of the one offs / new releases etc for pick up at this location vs trekking out to Etobicoke on transit.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

lister wrote:I hope this is better executed than the Amsterdam brewpub. Yeah have some of the flagship beers on, hopefully brought in from the main facility, while the on-premises equipment should be used for experimentation (and be well stocked!) and anything that proves popular scale up for broader distribution at the Etobicoke location.
Yeah, as I understand, Amsterdam contracted the kitchen out to the Gaby's people to run. I've just never been impressed with that service or food. Location, environment (when not too noisy) and the beer have been great though.

I hope they resist the urge to fill the place with screens and have loud sportscasters yelling and blabbering at everyone.

I wonder if there will be an octopus tank?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

This is great news. And it seems like a really well thought-out space. The area could use something like this!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Tapsucker wrote: I wonder if there will be an octopus tank?
Keeping a live octopus in a tank is probably not cool. Painting a giant octopus mural ON a beer tank would be though!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I hope they use a bunch of those coat hooks under the bar or something.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

An octopus dish would be the very first thing I’d put on the food menu.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

JerCraigs wrote:
Tapsucker wrote: I wonder if there will be an octopus tank?
Keeping a live octopus in a tank is probably not cool. Painting a giant octopus mural ON a beer tank would be though!
I recall being told, perhaps incorrectly, that they had an octopus at the brewery. I always imagined it sneaking out at night for samples. :D

On the other hand, it was probably just a joke about the mess of hoses on the floor. :oops:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Tapsucker wrote:I recall being told, perhaps incorrectly, that they had an octopus at the brewery. I always imagined it sneaking out at night for samples. :D
I wouldn't put it past them to do that. I figure at some point the octopuses, dolphins and crows will get together at some point to devise a plan to get rid of us.
lister

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

JerCraigs wrote:Something I would love to see is the ability to pre-order some of the one offs / new releases etc for pick up at this location vs trekking out to Etobicoke on transit.
Yeah that would be cool too.
lister

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

So who's been here? I went during the first week and had a good first impression. Nice space - not too small and not too large. Long bar and a nice mix of hightops and table seating.

Unfortunately when I went the refrigerator conked out so the tap lines had to be shut down. First week hiccups so no fault there. I don't believe they had started brewing anything on the downtown system yet so the beers were all Etobicoke.

Location is right across from the Loblaws, and north of Cherry Beach. They're kind of tucked in the condo quad so don't really face much traffic which is nice if they get a little patio going.

Looking forward to more from them downtown!

Beer menu: https://www.greatlakesbrewpub.com/beer-menu

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Cass wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:14 pm So who's been here? I went during the first week and had a good first impression. Nice space - not too small and not too large. Long bar and a nice mix of hightops and table seating.

Unfortunately when I went the refrigerator conked out so the tap lines had to be shut down. First week hiccups so no fault there. I don't believe they had started brewing anything on the downtown system yet so the beers were all Etobicoke.

Location is right across from the Loblaws, and north of Cherry Beach. They're kind of tucked in the condo quad so don't really face much traffic which is nice if they get a little patio going.

Looking forward to more from them downtown!

Beer menu: https://www.greatlakesbrewpub.com/beer-menu
I stopped by last week to pick up a few cans after a long walk back from the CNE. Ended up staying for a pint, a flight, and a pizza.

The space is unassuming, with a few other new businesses nearby. Great tap list and a couple of exclusives.

The staff was really friendly and generous — I went solo and ended up chatting with the bottle shop cashier, bartender and chef in turns. The Detroit-style pizza was outstanding. I'd say it's among the best I've had in this style. Seriously, get in there!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I have heard very good things about their pizza. Got to give it a try next time for sure!

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I've really got to get down there, if not just for Pompous Ass on nitro, but that menu looks delicious; nice balance of staples with just enough of a twist. Also that rhubarb crumble really catches my eye, takes me back to homemade pies with rhubarb grown in our garden.