Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Goose Island Black Friday & Bourbon County Stout

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Goose Island Black Friday & Bourbon County Stout

Post by Cass »

Looks like they will be selling BCBS online again on Nov. 26th for those who are interested in it!

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... ZJucC_70lI

I'm sure they'll do some kind of tasting again down at the pub, which I do enjoy hitting up as the value is always pretty great to have it on tap there. Says on their site there will also be things (TBD) at Banknote, Carbon Bar & Door 55 in Mississauga.

https://gooseisland.ca/bourboncountystout

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

GI's doing two tasting sessions on Nov. 26th with a '19-'21 vertical tasting. I'm a sucker for BCBS so I'm going to the evening session. Please say hi if anyone else is going!

https://gooseislandtoronto.ca/products/ ... 21-release

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Anyone know how the LCBO release is going to work? Online only, or at a particular store (has been Summerhill in the past). I did a quick search of the LiCBO web site but could find nothing more than "Coming Soon".

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

midlife crisis wrote:Anyone know how the LCBO release is going to work? Online only, or at a particular store (has been Summerhill in the past). I did a quick search of the LiCBO web site but could find nothing more than "Coming Soon".
I would bet online only like last year.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

OK thanks. The old "lining up" days were almost fun (almost) with coffee and donuts in the line, some swag one year, etc. Maybe I've been confined to the house too long if I'm looking back nostalgically at an hour-long queue!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I think it is like last year, so online only. IIRC there is a $50 minimum for store delivery, so last year I bought 2 bottles and 1 bottle of some random thing to get up to the $50 mark.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

midlife crisis wrote:OK thanks. The old "lining up" days were almost fun (almost) with coffee and donuts in the line, some swag one year, etc. Maybe I've been confined to the house too long if I'm looking back nostalgically at an hour-long queue!
Haha, fair enough! I just checked the Goose Island website and it has lcbo.com - available starting at 10 am listed for Ontario availability, along with several bars. I believe they are going to be hosting tasting events alongside the Goose brewhouse, so I'm wondering if you can buy bottles there as well; an excuse to leave the house perhaps.

https://gooseisland.ca/bourboncountystout#find

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote:Haha, fair enough! I just checked the Goose Island website and it has lcbo.com - available starting at 10 am listed for Ontario availability, along with several bars. I believe they are going to be hosting tasting events alongside the Goose brewhouse, so I'm wondering if you can buy bottles there as well; an excuse to leave the house perhaps.
They definitely are having a tasting at the brewhouse with a 2019-2021 vertical. I believe they *could* sell bottles to go nowadays, since the government changed the bar off-sales rule during the pandemic. If they do though, is another story, and I haven't heard that they will.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

A big allotment if anyone is interested in buying it at the LCBO.
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at 10.07.54 AM.png
https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... aD4QS_72lM

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

down to 1,300 already

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

all gone...

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

2 hours or so for 1700+ bottles.

Unlike #beertwitter, there's clearly a lot of people happy to buy at the price point. (I bought two bottles.)

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The price tag actually scared me off. It's a great beer, but there are local, cheaper options I like better now. Boy we've come a long way.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I'm still a sucker for it even though it is expensive. Takes me back to the days of when I used to go to Chicago for Black Friday at the GI brewpub (immortalized in an old BT podcast). Not that drinking it at home during a pandemic is any comparison to that :D

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Yeah, I get that. I don't really have a nostalgic connection to it, but to each their own.

Shame we didn't get any variants. Those I would pay for!