Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Alcohol regulation changes

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Chris

Alcohol regulation changes

Post by Chris »

I was surprised I hadn’t heard about this:
https://trnto.com/toronto-will-see-a-r ... framework/

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

All good changes. I didn't even realize that some of these rules exist. No liquor infusions? There are definitely some cocktail bars that are doing this already. Unless the rule only stipulates that you can't serve modified liquors straight up, but there is no prohibition on using them in drinks. And brewpubs can't serve beer higher than 6.5% ABV?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Here's a couple of the key ones from the AGCO just so they're in the thread:
-Oversight of distribution and off-site warehousing will be transferring from the LCBO to the AGCO; this change will impact Ontario liquor manufacturers.
Manufacturers will be permitted to deliver the liquor products of other licensed manufacturers that have an on-site retail store; a delivery endorsement will enable this activity.
-A new temporary extension endorsement will allow manufacturers with an on-site retail store to sell liquor products at industry promotional events, in addition to farmers’ markets.
-All licensed grocery stores will be able to offer beer, wine and cider (as applicable) online for curbside pickup at the store, as permitted under their licence.
Licensed grocery stores will be permitted to display non-liquor products, excluding energy drinks and products that promote immoderate consumption, within the contiguous aisles where liquor products (i.e. beer and cider, wine) are displayed.
-The ABV limits that wine and brew pubs are currently subject to will be removed. Previously, wine pubs could not sell wine with greater than 14% ABV, and brew pubs could not sell beer with greater than 6.5% ABV.
-Ferment on premise facilities will be permitted to combine multiple customers’ ingredients, allowing innovative practices such as barrel aging.
-Liquor Sales Licence holders will be permitted to infuse liquor to create drinks or change the flavour of liquor through practices such as barrel aging, as long as the customer is informed.

It's wild that the brewpub ABV rule lasted this long. Drinkers of a certain age such as myself will remember how the likes of Denison's and Granite had to deal with this rule, severely limiting the kinds of styles they could brew. Once tied houses were permitted, everyone who was left (like Granite) switched over and there were basically no legal brewpubs left. So this rule change basically only affects a handful of places (3 Brewers, maybe a couple others scattered around). I wonder if any bar owner out there is considering becoming an actual brewpub?

The allowance to sell on-site retail at 'industry promotional events' is an interesting one, as it opens it up fairly broadly. Farmer's Markets are very narrow in definition and not everyone can be one. But any old event could call themselves an industry promotional event and sell beer-to-go. Wonder if they will have a specific definition around what that kind of event is.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

There are loads of little beer festivals that would benefit from that. Like anywhere they're pouring samples, why shouldn't you be able to grab a few cans to go if you like the sample? Or, heaven forbid, fill a growler?!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Is industry promotional event defined anywhere?
I'm curious about whether the layperson interpretation (e.g. beer festivals and other events with a license can sell beer to go) matches the potential legal interpretations (e.g. they can only do this if the event license holder is the same as the retail store license holder.)

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cass would know, he's organized a bunch of these things.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

It’s hard to say how it will eventually be defined. For an SOP, there is a category for this defined as:
Industry Promotional Events: For events held to promote a manufacturer’s product through sampling. There can be no intent to gain or profit from the sale of alcohol at the event.
This is very different from regular beer festivals that have tickets. And this definition implies a single manufacturer.

However, I wouldn’t be surprised if eventually the definition is expanded but I feel like there will be some limitations. Would something like Cask Days be able to sell beer to go? Not sure. Something like Brewer’s Backyard? Seems a bit more feasible.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

This is a big one. Might warrant a new thread, but posting here for now.

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2021/1 ... staurants/

Chris

Post by Chris »

That is huge…and I am very excited to see this for restaurants… But at the same time why does this government always seem to follow up bad news (COVID) with some sort of alcohol announcement?

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Chris wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:50 pm That is huge…and I am very excited to see this for restaurants… But at the same time why does this government always seem to follow up bad news (COVID) with some sort of alcohol announcement?
It makes sense to me, so we can drown our sorrows lol

Chris

Post by Chris »

They're going to run out of announcements at some point! :P

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

This is pretty great news. Weird timing with everything COVID, but I will always happily take positive changes for the industry.

Looking at it a bit, it says purchases from the LCBO, which would obviously include imported beer, wine & spirits and private orders. I don't think this would apply to keg beer (which either comes direct from Ontario brewers or TBS). I wonder how it would work with Ontario packaged beer, not sure if that's purchased via the LCBO or if it is direct from breweries.

For a place like Bar Hop, Volo or C'est What that are predominately draught sales, I wonder if this will make a significant difference for them.

I think it's safe to say that the wholesale pricing change will not give a cut to what the customer pays.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cass wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:39 am I think it's safe to say that the wholesale pricing change will not give a cut to what the customer pays.
I would assume not in most cases, I would expect the measure is meant to improve profitability for bars and restaurants not reduce the cost to the customer - particularly given the timing. I'd guess it will be more of a boon to restaurants selling bottled wines than draught beer, but who knows.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I just saw a fairly brief article on CBC about upcoming changes to various rules and regulations. It included this paragraph about alcohol sales.

Ontario is also extending rules governing the purchase of alcohol across provincial borders. Consumers will be allowed to buy alcohol directly from businesses in other provinces until Jan. 1, 2026.

:o
So we can now order on-line directly from any brewery in Canada??