Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I definitely come across some great traditional English style ales, but like most releases they're brewed sporadically, as is the trend these days. Town's Three Lions was a fantastic ESB, Chronicle Hero's Handbag is a great dark mild that shows up on occasion. Great Lakes seems to release English styles on a semi-regular basis; they have Retronym English IPA and Monty's Mild available at the moment. As far as the LCBO there are fewer and fewer options, but I'll typically grab Hockley Dark when I see it.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I'm also thirsting for English ales. I picked up a "cask in a box" of Granite 's Best Bitter Special and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, I highly recommend Paniza Brewing's Supernova (English Pale Ale/Strong Bitter). It was on tap at Toronto Fall Beerfest. I am not sure where else to get more of it, but I'd love to!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Grabbed some Jubelale and Timothy Taylor at a local LCBO today. Looking forward to enjoying over the holiday times!

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Cass wrote:Grabbed some Jubelale and Timothy Taylor at a local LCBO today. Looking forward to enjoying over the holiday times!
I did as well and added some Left Hand Nitro and also will try the Blood Brothers Guilty Remnant when it shows up.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Having a Jubelale tonight. It’s exactly what I have been hankering for - rich, malty, spicy Xmas ale. Packaged 9/9/21 so not too bad by LCBO standards.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Same here, got the Jubelale, Left Hand and Timothy Taylor. Tried the Jubelale so far and it's quite nice, somewhat herbaceous, reminding me a bit of a herbal liqueur like Jager (in a good way because I enjoy that stuff).

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Couldn't agree more RE: the Jubelale. It had been 7 years since I last tried the packaged product and this current iteration is tasting glorious. Also enjoying the Timothy Taylor Landlord; despite the July 22 bottling date it is holding up extremely well. Another nice LCBO find was Cascade Brunch Line 2017. This one is supposed to be online-only but there's a full case of the stuff at the Crossroads store (401 & Weston).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote:Picked up this year's Amsterdam Flight Pack as it contains Tempest. However it also contains their Kerstmis Bier doppelbock with retro graphics, from what I can find this is a resurrection of a discontinued beer from the early 2000s. Amsterdam is funny in that I can't find any mention of it on their website or social media, but it's in the pack.

Curious if anyone remembers that one, it's a bit before my craft beer drinking days.

Edit: Upon closer inspection now that I'm home, it seems they've revived the name and label but it's now a 10.5% Belgian-style dark ale brewed with curacao orange and spices. Either way, sounds interesting.
Amsterdam just did a post about the pack on IG a couple of days ago. Kind of funny they didn’t explain Kerstmis, as I’m sure many current drinkers have no idea about the beer & branding.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWeN9q8JRij/

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Cass wrote:
seangm wrote:Picked up this year's Amsterdam Flight Pack as it contains Tempest. However it also contains their Kerstmis Bier doppelbock with retro graphics, from what I can find this is a resurrection of a discontinued beer from the early 2000s. Amsterdam is funny in that I can't find any mention of it on their website or social media, but it's in the pack.

Curious if anyone remembers that one, it's a bit before my craft beer drinking days.

Edit: Upon closer inspection now that I'm home, it seems they've revived the name and label but it's now a 10.5% Belgian-style dark ale brewed with curacao orange and spices. Either way, sounds interesting.
Amsterdam just did a post about the pack on IG a couple of days ago. Kind of funny they didn’t explain Kerstmis, as I’m sure many current drinkers have no idea about the beer & branding.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWeN9q8JRij/
Several weeks after it hit the shelves no less, definitely would've been nice if they gave us a bit more info. I wonder if they'll reincarnate it each year in a different style or something. More Christmas beer specials would definitely be nice.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cass wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:55 am
seangm wrote:It's certainly unbelievable how the craft beer landscape has changed; now we get new beers weekly! I agree about the Deschutes, will be nice to see a traditional winter warmer. I used to look forward to Sam Smith's Winter Welcome, but unfortunately it hasn't been around for a few years now.
Indeed, I'm having a hankering for some traditional winter warmers this year for sure. I saw in the winter Food & Drink that St-Feuillien Cuvee de Noel is coming to stores.

I saw Sam Adams announce that Old Fezziwig was coming back - I remember that from a million years ago when it got an LCBO release. Would love to try that one again!
Royal City just released a "strong winter ale" that might fit the bill for this. I'm actually not really sure if it's more of a winter warmer, or more of a Belgian quad sort of thing. I might try one tonight and see. :D

https://royalcitybrew.ca/collections/be ... gian-ale-1

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Craig wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:21 am
Cass wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:55 am
seangm wrote:It's certainly unbelievable how the craft beer landscape has changed; now we get new beers weekly! I agree about the Deschutes, will be nice to see a traditional winter warmer. I used to look forward to Sam Smith's Winter Welcome, but unfortunately it hasn't been around for a few years now.
Indeed, I'm having a hankering for some traditional winter warmers this year for sure. I saw in the winter Food & Drink that St-Feuillien Cuvee de Noel is coming to stores.

I saw Sam Adams announce that Old Fezziwig was coming back - I remember that from a million years ago when it got an LCBO release. Would love to try that one again!
Royal City just released a "strong winter ale" that might fit the bill for this. I'm actually not really sure if it's more of a winter warmer, or more of a Belgian quad sort of thing. I might try one tonight and see. :D

https://royalcitybrew.ca/collections/be ... gian-ale-1

If your referring to the “longest night”
Then it’s excellent. I ordered a couple last week and really enjoyed it.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Nope, the Niklaas. I got some Longest Night too, but it didn't sound like a Winter Warmer to me. I'll probably try them tonight, because they do sound great.

The Niklaas is in the WW vein. Not terribly spicy, but it's definitely a boozy warmer sort of beer.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Cass wrote:I have seen some of the chatter about Timothy Taylor and I have to admit I didn't realize it had such a reputation.

I’d completely agree with this statement.
A pint of Landlord on cask is maybe the most enjoyable
Beer I’ve ever drank.
They really are few and far between being made here, and even decent imports have been less and less the last couple years.
Welly still puts them out occasionally, and they brought back the Arkel best in store. I always make a point of picking up some Iron Duke when they bring it back.
I still enjoy Neustadt brown ale but I admit I rarely see it anywhere.
The Death Dealer Porter that Third Moon did, about this time last year was really good.

I was up at Neustadt recently and Val and Andrew have retired. There's a new brewer from Wellington County taking over and and unfiltered 7% IPA was the new addition to the traditional lineup.

It was pretty good - not a strong hop presence but nicely balanced all the same. The tasting room there is pretty cozy.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:54 pm
Cass wrote:I have seen some of the chatter about Timothy Taylor and I have to admit I didn't realize it had such a reputation.

I’d completely agree with this statement.
A pint of Landlord on cask is maybe the most enjoyable
Beer I’ve ever drank.
They really are few and far between being made here, and even decent imports have been less and less the last couple years.
Welly still puts them out occasionally, and they brought back the Arkel best in store. I always make a point of picking up some Iron Duke when they bring it back.
I still enjoy Neustadt brown ale but I admit I rarely see it anywhere.
The Death Dealer Porter that Third Moon did, about this time last year was really good.

I was up at Neustadt recently and Val and Andrew have retired. There's a new brewer from Wellington County taking over and and unfiltered 7% IPA was the new addition to the traditional lineup.

It was pretty good - not a strong hop presence but nicely balanced all the same. The tasting room there is pretty cozy.
You've just reminded me that I haven't come across Neustadt 10W30 in what seems like ages, a shame since that was a go-to for me when I could find it more regularly. Seems the closest LCBO to me is Hamilton- not very convenient when you're in the east GTA.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Got a tweet from https://twitter.com/LCBOWatch for a British Chocolate Stout by Siren Craft, looks and sounds yummy
https://www.sirencraftbrew.com/stories- ... -cake-2021
CCC-Nitro-1.jpg