Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Montreal

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the kind words! It was a fun time for sure and nice to be away for a couple of days.

To answer some of the q's:

- Poincaré does not have a brewery (at least not one I could see) - it is a pretty small space. It says on their menu that the kolsch is made by les Grands Bois. The other lagers are named "mystery" so maybe made by different breweries? I didn't ask but I wasn't really bothered about it.

- The Benelux in Verdun is a totally different vibe and feel than the Sherbrooke one. IMO it is 100% worth the effort to go there. If it wasn't named the same thing you wouldn't know they were related. And they're only a block from the l'Eglise stop on the green line so it's an easy trek from downtown.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cass wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:48 am The other lagers are named "mystery" so maybe made by different breweries? I didn't ask but I wasn't really bothered about it.
I saw that on the website menu and was like WTF? I wonder if that means it's some secret contractor, or if it rotates and they just don't bother to tell you who made it this week? LOL

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

JerCraigs wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:06 pm I saw that on the website menu and was like WTF? I wonder if that means it's some secret contractor, or if it rotates and they just don't bother to tell you who made it this week? LOL
I was thinking about this - maybe it's a way for people to not fixate on the brewery but decide based upon the style? I could be overthinking it. You might be right, they may just have rotating breweries that make them beer and its easier to say 'mystery' than keep track on the menu of which one it is!

jimmay

Post by jimmay »

Hey all. Can anyone recommend bottle shop in Montreal or Quebec City where i can grab some local QC beer? Is Depanneur Peluso still the place to go? Heading there tomorrow!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

jimmay wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:38 pm Hey all. Can anyone recommend bottle shop in Montreal or Quebec City where i can grab some local QC beer? Is Depanneur Peluso still the place to go? Heading there tomorrow!
Suggestions I have learned from this forum and tried and enjoyed before the plague are:

https://fromagerieatwater.ca

Recommended for great selection, very reasonable prices (by Quebec retail standards) and the added bonus of lots of other tasty things to buy while there.

If you are driving:

http://legobelet.com

Little place in Vaudreuil. I find it a bit pricey, but has a pretty esoteric section of local breweries.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

The breweries right when they have new releases
Reliable Beer Critic

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

northyorksammy wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:10 am The breweries right when they have new releases
good to see you today, enjoy the beer

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Boy am I glad I made it there when I did! Crazy how things changed so fast. Hopefully we’ll all be able to get out and about visiting places again soon.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm finally going to shed my baby/chicken legs and do some intercity travel. I plan to be in Montreal next week and my schedule should allow for at least one late afternoon into evening of beer exploration. I have many favourites, but the world has changed so much in the last two years. Any suggestions? My preference is to stick to walking distance of downtown core, but will make an effort for brewers who do the same. ;-)
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I was there end of May. Vices and Versa was great, lovely shaded back patio and great, mainly Quebec, tap list. Short walk to Jean Talon market. https://vicesetversa.com/

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Tapsucker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:46 pm I'm finally going to shed my baby/chicken legs and do some intercity travel. I plan to be in Montreal next week and my schedule should allow for at least one late afternoon into evening of beer exploration. I have many favourites, but the world has changed so much in the last two years. Any suggestions? My preference is to stick to walking distance of downtown core, but will make an effort for brewers who do the same. ;-)
This might be too late, but I was really impressed by Poincaré in Chinatown which bills itself as a Kolsch bar. Definitely "below the hill" in the downtown core, although a bit east. The Time Out market in the mall right downtown probably has the best beer in that part of town. Dispensaire was a nice little brewery tap room not too far up the hill from downtown. And there's always Amere a Boire on St-Denis, where the rest of the beer world has caught up to their lager-focused selection - they were a trailblazer with those styles.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Cass wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:23 pm
Tapsucker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:46 pm I'm finally going to shed my baby/chicken legs and do some intercity travel. I plan to be in Montreal next week and my schedule should allow for at least one late afternoon into evening of beer exploration. I have many favourites, but the world has changed so much in the last two years. Any suggestions? My preference is to stick to walking distance of downtown core, but will make an effort for brewers who do the same. ;-)
This might be too late, but I was really impressed by Poincaré in Chinatown which bills itself as a Kolsch bar. Definitely "below the hill" in the downtown core, although a bit east. The Time Out market in the mall right downtown probably has the best beer in that part of town. Dispensaire was a nice little brewery tap room not too far up the hill from downtown. And there's always Amere a Boire on St-Denis, where the rest of the beer world has caught up to their lager-focused selection - they were a trailblazer with those styles.
Was in Montreal last week and I can vouch for Dispensaire, nice little spot with patio space in the pedestrian mall, or one can takes some cans to go to the large park a block away.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I did not know about Dispensaire. That sounds like it would have been great to check out.

I did manage to get to Amere for a night cap and it was as pleasant as always. I had lunch at VIces, it's the best time to go as it's not crazy busy like at night and I was nearby for work anyway.
Benelux is still solid. Les Soeurs Grises provided a nice quick stop. Cheval Blanc is generally hit and miss, this time there were a couple of bulls eyes on the beer list, so it was well worth the visit. I didn't get to check much else out

I'd say he biggest observation/disappointment is how expensive craft beer in stores (Provigo for example) is. Average cans are in the $4-5 range each, and that's before HST. Wow. Bar prices are high too, but not as far out of line with what we see here as store prices. And despite the years I've spent in Quebec, I have to admit, I have never figured out where to return my empties, if indeed there is a bit of a deposit to get back. :oops:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.