Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

A Barncat Bourbon barrel Rat Queen. Terrific.

I had the port barrel version not that long ago, which was good, but the bourbon barrel is still the best for me. I can't wait to try the double barrel, but at 16.2% I might need to save that for a night with a friend.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Robohop. Big bold and beautiful. I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

It’s never a bad thing when beer appears at my door, and today I found a box from Spearhead with their new Oatmeal Cream Ale. Can’t say I can ever remember this combination of words in a beer before :D

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Tapsucker wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:16 pm Robohop. Big bold and beautiful. I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
I had one last night as well. I found it really sweet,almost getting into TIPA territory. It’s been going more and more this way the past couple versions that I’ve had. It’s a long long way from the big bitter bastard that it used to be IMO. I’ve got one more in the fridge, after that I doubt I’ll buy again.

Also had a Fracture last night. It’s still got that big bitter finish to it and hasn’t changed as much…although definately hazier and juicier than in the past I think.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I've been cracking into all of my bigger, high-octane bottles that should have been cellared by now, except I don't have the space for it. Thinking I should invest in a good champagne stopper, because some of these could last me a couple of nights!

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:30 am
Tapsucker wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:16 pm Robohop. Big bold and beautiful. I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
I had one last night as well. I found it really sweet,almost getting into TIPA territory. It’s been going more and more this way the past couple versions that I’ve had. It’s a long long way from the big bitter bastard that it used to be IMO. I’ve got one more in the fridge, after that I doubt I’ll buy again.

Also had a Fracture last night. It’s still got that big bitter finish to it and hasn’t changed as much…although definately hazier and juicier than in the past I think.
Is this the NE version of Robohop? Because I also found it to be sickly sweet, although last year's was more balanced than the year before. Not sure I'll bother trying it if it's even sweeter now.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

tempImageacy3q6.gif
Snowmageddon beers!

On a whim I ordered a 12 pack of Creemore Urbock from their online store, mostly for nostalgia's sake. (A decent deal, $35.95 for 12 x 473ml including doorstep delivery.) Honestly wish I could remember what it used to taste like from the old days, as I remember it being Creemore's break from their traditional lager. I can't really anymore, but it's a totally drinkable brew today.

I searched back in the forum about Urbock and found numerous posts from Howard Thompson inviting the Bar Towel forum folks up for a personal tour & visit to the Creemore brewery pre-acquisition while Urbock was being made. We didn't do it, and now I kind of wish that we did.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Yes it's the 'double' NE version.

I'm having another one now, and I'm not picking up on the sweetness mentioned. And I'm sensitive to that. I much prefer my beers quite dry. This certainly doesn't have the offensive treacle notes of some Scotch ales or dopplebocks, if that's what you are describing.

It's possible the alcohol level is masking it with it's heat. I also find many NEIPA style beers to be poorly PH balanced and bordering on acrid, or having hop burn. This doesn't seem to have that, so it's possible that's what is being interpreted as sweet?

I'm finding this, for what's described as a big NEIPA, to be pretty well balanced. But, hey, not everybody is going to like the style. I do think it comes up short on hop aroma. Amplifying that up would make this more fun.

That said, I would love to revisit the west coast inspired versions of the past.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Tapsucker wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:42 pm Yes it's the 'double' NE version.

I'm having another one now, and I'm not picking up on the sweetness mentioned. And I'm sensitive to that. I much prefer my beers quite dry. This certainly doesn't have the offensive treacle notes of some Scotch ales or dopplebocks, if that's what you are describing.

It's possible the alcohol level is masking it with it's heat. I also find many NEIPA style beers to be poorly PH balanced and bordering on acrid, or having hop burn. This doesn't seem to have that, so it's possible that's what is being interpreted as sweet?

I'm finding this, for what's described as a big NEIPA, to be pretty well balanced. But, hey, not everybody is going to like the style. I do think it comes up short on hop aroma. Amplifying that up would make this more fun.

That said, I would love to revisit the west coast inspired versions of the past.
It's usually an excessive malt sweetness, unbalanced by any hop bitterness since extremes of the NE style seem to have almost zero bittering hops; some brewers just add straight up sugars as well since the trend these days is for fairly sweet beers. Interestingly I like sweet, dark malty styles like the ones you've mentioned, but I'm not a fan of sweet IPAs.

I do recall liking last year's NE RoboHop better than the year before though, if I recall the first time it came out GLB had "sugar" listed in the ingredients. Best course of action is to probably just try this year's and find out!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:34 pm A decent deal, $35.95 for 12 x 473ml including doorstep delivery.
Decent? That's an understatement. $3/beer?? LCBO listing is $3.40

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

seangm wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:36 am

It's usually an excessive malt sweetness, unbalanced by any hop bitterness since extremes of the NE style seem to have almost zero bittering hops; some brewers just add straight up sugars as well since the trend these days is for fairly sweet beers. Interestingly I like sweet, dark malty styles like the ones you've mentioned, but I'm not a fan of sweet IPAs.

I do recall liking last year's NE RoboHop better than the year before though, if I recall the first time it came out GLB had "sugar" listed in the ingredients. Best course of action is to probably just try this year's and find out!
If it's a simple sugar like dextrose, that would actually ferment out and make a dryer beer. Unless for some reason they pasteurized and then added the sugar. That would really make no sense. I think it's more likely the lack of bittering hops that would explain the experience.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Cass wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:34 pm On a whim I ordered a 12 pack of Creemore Urbock from their online store, mostly for nostalgia's sake. (A decent deal, $35.95 for 12 x 473ml including doorstep delivery.) Honestly wish I could remember what it used to taste like from the old days, as I remember it being Creemore's break from their traditional lager. I can't really anymore, but it's a totally drinkable brew today.
Always loved Creemore's Urbock! I think I have one in my cellar from 2007...not sure how it holds up, but looking forward to cracking it someday.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Cass wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:34 pm tempImageacy3q6.gif

Snowmageddon beers!

On a whim I ordered a 12 pack of Creemore Urbock from their online store, mostly for nostalgia's sake. (A decent deal, $35.95 for 12 x 473ml including doorstep delivery.) Honestly wish I could remember what it used to taste like from the old days, as I remember it being Creemore's break from their traditional lager. I can't really anymore, but it's a totally drinkable brew today.

I searched back in the forum about Urbock and found numerous posts from Howard Thompson inviting the Bar Towel forum folks up for a personal tour & visit to the Creemore brewery pre-acquisition while Urbock was being made. We didn't do it, and now I kind of wish that we did.

I used to absolutely love the Creemore Altbier that was a collab with a German brewery, I thought it was a great beer.
I may pick up a van if the Urbock next time I see one. It’s been years….

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Tapsucker wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:08 pm
seangm wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:36 am

If it's a simple sugar like dextrose, that would actually ferment out and make a dryer beer. Unless for some reason they pasteurized and then added the sugar. That would really make no sense. I think it's more likely the lack of bittering hops that would explain the experience.
The latter seems likely regarding flavour. It makes sense if sugar was added to boost the fermentables seeing as it's a double, perhaps to avoid increasing the malt bill since NEs tend to have a lower malt profile.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:00 pm Decent? That's an understatement. $3/beer?? LCBO listing is $3.40
You got that right! I noticed that when I ordered and looked it up on LCBO. It's not in TBS, so I guess it's a brewery webstore exclusive in 12 packs. Good deal for sure.