Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I just wanted to share my fondness for What're you drinking right now? posts that are timestamped 7:42 AM.

Kudos!
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I feel attacked! :lol:

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

It's 5 o'clock somewhere, right? lol

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I recently overheard someone say "wine o'clock is my favourite time of day. The sunrise is so beautiful".
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Having a Granite Brand New Day. I've grown a little tired of NEIPAs, mostly due to their astringency, but this one worked well last year and in back in fine form. The aroma is the ticket to ride. I'm glad it looks like it it wasn't just a one off, but might be a seasonal rotation.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Tapsucker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:50 pm Having a Granite Brand New Day. I've grown a little tired of NEIPAs, mostly due to their astringency, but this one worked well last year and in back in fine form. The aroma is the ticket to ride. I'm glad it looks like it it wasn't just a one off, but might be a seasonal rotation.
NEIPAs should not be astringent, are you experiencing this from a certain producer or with the style in general?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

matt7215 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:03 am NEIPAs should not be astringent, are you experiencing this from a certain producer or with the style in general?
I would not say the style in general, just many examples. There are definitely good ones out there, they are just not always easy to find. This is why I appreciate the Granite. Just steps from my door. :P
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I know what you mean, you often hear about hop burn in the style and it can be described as an astringent, sort of vegetative flavour. I've definitely experienced it, especially in some of the more hyped local breweries whose hazy IPAs are often overkill to my palate. In a seemingly counterintuitive manner, introducing a hint of bittering hops can actually help mask the astringency.

There's a good article on it here: https://www.pastemagazine.com/drink/cra ... uidelines/

On the topic of what are you drinking, and pertaining to IPAs, I was actually quite impressed with Big Rig's Shakedown Awakening. It's nice to see more west coast IPAs popping up again and they nailed that classic profile. Perhaps we're finally hitting a haze fatigue.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

seangm wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:33 am I know what you mean, you often hear about hop burn in the style and it can be described as an astringent, sort of vegetative flavour. I've definitely experienced it, especially in some of the more hyped local breweries whose hazy IPAs are often overkill to my palate. In a seemingly counterintuitive manner, introducing a hint of bittering hops can actually help mask the astringency.

There's a good article on it here: https://www.pastemagazine.com/drink/cra ... uidelines/

On the topic of what are you drinking, and pertaining to IPAs, I was actually quite impressed with Big Rig's Shakedown Awakening. It's nice to see more west coast IPAs popping up again and they nailed that classic profile. Perhaps we're finally hitting a haze fatigue.
any beer with hop burn is either poorly packaged or bad qc, if you are experiencing hop burn you are drinking solids (yeast or hops or both) in the final product

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

seangm wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:33 am Perhaps we're finally hitting a haze fatigue.
its definitely happening but not super quickly, still by far the most popular style of craft beer in terms of sales, and no other style seems poised to dethrone it

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

matt7215 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:18 pm
seangm wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:33 am I know what you mean, you often hear about hop burn in the style and it can be described as an astringent, sort of vegetative flavour. I've definitely experienced it, especially in some of the more hyped local breweries whose hazy IPAs are often overkill to my palate. In a seemingly counterintuitive manner, introducing a hint of bittering hops can actually help mask the astringency.

any beer with hop burn is either poorly packaged or bad qc, if you are experiencing hop burn you are drinking solids (yeast or hops or both) in the final product
Any unfiltered beer will have yeast and/or hop solids in the final product (in addition to proteins and other possible solids). In the case of hop burn astringency it's generally believed to be from increased polyphenols that are the result of (significantly) higher hop levels and hop contact. It seems to be less of an issue in hops added during the boil, but rather as they sit for extended dry-hopping periods those polyphenols leach into the beer.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Phew! This is radler weather.

Had Waterloo Tart Cherry yesterday. Just opened a Nickel Brook Stay Rad Lemon 'N' Lime now.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Alla Caccia (On The Hunt) from Lake of Bays. Billed as a "Crisp Dry Pilsner" - which it certainly is - and an "Italian Style Pilsner" which I don't think is a thing but I could be wrong. Anyway, this is like nothing I've tried before and so I'm probably more impressed than I should be. It's been a long time since I had an interesting pilsner - I'm thinking PC Pils from Founders which the LCBO sold briefly around 2017.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Philip1 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:04 pm Alla Caccia (On The Hunt) from Lake of Bays. Billed as a "Crisp Dry Pilsner" - which it certainly is - and an "Italian Style Pilsner" which I don't think is a thing but I could be wrong. Anyway, this is like nothing I've tried before and so I'm probably more impressed than I should be. It's been a long time since I had an interesting pilsner - I'm thinking PC Pils from Founders which the LCBO sold briefly around 2017.

Personally I wasn’t impressed much…but maybe I was unfairly comparing it to superior Italian pilsners. Left Field and Indie Alehouse versions blows this out of the water. Wellingtons was pretty decent as well.

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:37 pm
Philip1 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:04 pm Alla Caccia (On The Hunt) from Lake of Bays. Billed as a "Crisp Dry Pilsner" - which it certainly is - and an "Italian Style Pilsner" which I don't think is a thing but I could be wrong. Anyway, this is like nothing I've tried before and so I'm probably more impressed than I should be. It's been a long time since I had an interesting pilsner - I'm thinking PC Pils from Founders which the LCBO sold briefly around 2017.

Personally I wasn’t impressed much…but maybe I was unfairly comparing it to superior Italian pilsners. Left Field and Indie Alehouse versions blows this out of the water. Wellingtons was pretty decent as well.
I just looked up Left Field's & India Alehouse's versions, neither of which are available at the somewhat stagnant LCBOs near me, but I'll try the local Sobey's as they, surprisingly to me, have had the most consistently original rotating lineup of beers in my area.

As for the style despite numerous pre-pandemic trips to Italy and drinking exclusively in beer specialty bars in Rome, Florence, Bologna, Verona, Milan, and Genoa, I never encountered any unique Italian style of pilsner. Then again, in Italy this style might not be served in such places and I generally skip over anything pils anyway. I'll know next time. Here's an article on Italian pilsner:

https://www.hopculture.com/what-is-an-italian-pilsner/