Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Dry Stout

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

markhenry

Dry Stout

Post by markhenry »

What is the driest stout brewed in or reasonably close to Ottawa?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Interesting question. I feel this has been a bit of an endangered species as brewers have either put more energy in to imperial stouts or gone all in with lactose and goofy adjuncts. The closest (geographically) suggestion that I would have is St-Ambroise Irish Stout.

There really must be more going on in Ottawa to choose from, but for some reason that I can't recall, I haven't been there for a few years.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I have had stouts from Big Rig, Flora Hall, and Kichesippi, but none have them currently listed on their websites.

Nita has a dry stout listed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I've yet to try it but Beyond the Pale has an oatmeal stout, the Darkness. Based on the description it's probably on the drier side; roasty coffee, dark chocolate, "gentle hit of hops". Generally favourable reviews too.

markhenry

Post by markhenry »

Thanks for all that, folks. I will chase it down.

RobbieBTP

Post by RobbieBTP »

Good day!

I can confirm The Darkness is currently available, you might even find some cans in the LCBO as it was a featured winter seasonal.

Having said all that, we brewed a Dry Irish Stout two weeks ago and will be packaging it early next week. You won’t find this one in the LCBO but it will be in the brewery can sop some time next week. It’s called Dublin’ Or Nuthin’ and it’s 3.6% ABV.

Happy hunting.
Cheers!

markhenry

Post by markhenry »

That's good news Robbie!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »