Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Diue Du Ciel--Solstice D'Hiver

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mgmoney

Diue Du Ciel--Solstice D'Hiver

Post by mgmoney »

WOW...Kicked my ass...had had a few pints before i tried this, my mistake, thoghts?

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

mgmoney wrote:WOW...Kicked my ass...had had a few pints before i tried this, my mistake, thoghts?
The 2 different bottles I had last year also kicked my ass. They were undrinkable fusel bombs.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The one I had last year was great, a challenging brew and one I look forward to again. Probably should be aged a while.
In Beerum Veritas

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I had one a few weeks ago. It was good, but not great. I generally don't like Barleywines and would have preferred something more hoppy (like the SN 30th Barleywine) but it was still good considering.

ritzkiss

Post by ritzkiss »

Kind of meh, bordering on not that great. Probably one of the few let downs for me in the DDC stable. That said, the barrel aged version is light-years ahead and really awesome.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It's not hopped up like American versions... and there's some quality malt. Let it mellow in the cellar for a year and it's very good!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Its hoppy now, what are all ya'll talking about? I had some fresh the other day and it was a balanced and quite drinkable. And it was HOPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know this because I hate sweet beers that have no hop profile, and I easily drank this.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It's well-attenuated, not much residual sweetness, but the hopping & bitterness are restrained... not like say a SN Big Foot.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

i bought 2 bottles and found both to be pretty underwhelming. i didnt really find much to indicate cellaring potential either.

here's me rb review:

341 ml bottle from the lcbo. pours deep red with a minimal tan head. not much going on in the flavour or aroma. minimal malt nose. flavour is bland and watery. no trace of the abv. dissapointing.

austin

Post by austin »

This is a quality brew which will age very well. Gets a solid 98 from ratebeer. Glad I picked some up.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

I have vintages of this from first ever, to the 2009 (both oak aged, and normal) and the more recent 2010.

It is exceptionnaly good when aged, like its Rigor Mortis ABT. It takes at least 6 months for the flavours to integrate. In my humble opinion, it is sold a tad too quickly.

Hold on to yours, and you wont be as dissappointed.

Though I must say that if you feel that it has not much in flavour and aroma now, you might have drunk it too cold, in the wrong glass, with bad food, after a bad day at work, or after an IPA or something like that.

If not, and it was drunk in a pint glass or a chalice at 15'C, after a bit of water and bread, and you thought it had no flavour or aroma... and dont smoke... I dont know man, maybe you just werent meant to drink that beer that night.

To each his own, but in this case I'd gladly have yours ;)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

iguenard wrote: To each his own, but in this case I'd gladly have yours ;)
HOMER!

No I agree - it's bullshit to say 'no flavor' and SDH clearly has aging potential. ANY beer like this probably changes in, oh, 6-12 months. What are people talking about? (Sorry Matthias in Cambridge, Waterloo!)

My hands are stained with beet juice, it won't come out... luckily I am two sheets to the wind and don't care! Blessed strong ales... rejoice with me brethren.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
iguenard wrote: To each his own, but in this case I'd gladly have yours ;)
HOMER!

No I agree - it's bullshit to say 'no flavor' and SDH clearly has aging potential. ANY beer like this probably changes in, oh, 6-12 months. What are people talking about? (Sorry Matthias in Cambridge, Waterloo!)

My hands are stained with beet juice, it won't come out... luckily I am two sheets to the wind and don't care! Blessed strong ales... rejoice with me brethren.
Amen.
What were you doing with the Beets, Jonas? :)
Gary's Mattress.

I will rejoice and be glad in it, rejoice in the glory of the strong ale and beety hands.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Boiled beets, peeled and chopped beforehand - I let the cooking water reduce to an inky bloodiness...

Hence the Macbethian moment. You really can't beat beets.
In Beerum Veritas