Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Lakes Brewpub (Queen's Quay / Jarvis)

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

GLB has managed to annoy me. A fellow beer lover and I today decided to check this place out. We travelled a considerable distance to check it out. Before setting out, I checked the website to see if it was open. It stated it was. When we got there, it was closed for a private event. No, not an emergency closure, a private event, which would indicate they knew they would be closed at least some time in advance This kind of thing just pisses me off. How hard is it to post event/closures on your website? It's a simple courtesy to your customers.

And don't give me some lazy ass reply that this was twatted or fleecebooked to the world. Don't make people join that crap just to give you their business.

GLB aren't the only place I have experienced this, so I am putting this out to the entire hospitality industry. Make a little effort to treat your patrons with some respect.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Tapsucker wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:49 pm GLB has managed to annoy me. A fellow beer lover and I today decided to check this place out. We travelled a considerable distance to check it out. Before setting out, I checked the website to see if it was open. It stated it was. When we got there, it was closed for a private event. No, not an emergency closure, a private event, which would indicate they knew they would be closed at least some time in advance This kind of thing just pisses me off. How hard is it to post event/closures on your website? It's a simple courtesy to your customers.

And don't give me some lazy ass reply that this was twatted or fleecebooked to the world. Don't make people join that crap just to give you their business.

GLB aren't the only place I have experienced this, so I am putting this out to the entire hospitality industry. Make a little effort to treat your patrons with some respect.
Dang, sorry to hear that. I've experienced that before...very frustrating.

I had to admit that "twatted" and "fleecebooked" made me laugh! Now I want to hear your pet names for other social media platforms...

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Tapsucker wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:49 pm GLB has managed to annoy me. A fellow beer lover and I today decided to check this place out. We travelled a considerable distance to check it out. Before setting out, I checked the website to see if it was open. It stated it was. When we got there, it was closed for a private event. No, not an emergency closure, a private event, which would indicate they knew they would be closed at least some time in advance This kind of thing just pisses me off. How hard is it to post event/closures on your website? It's a simple courtesy to your customers.

I haven't experienced this, but I empathize and completely agree with your sentiments.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Funny enough it wasn't even on their twatted or fleecebooked, it was only on instagram.

I don't trust any website or even google nowadays, I just do the old fashioned thing: call.
I went out last night in Kitchener and called beforehand as website and google said different things. Glad I did.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Chris

Post by Chris »

I don't trust 3rd parties like google or Facebook … but businesses have no excuse for not posting on their website. If their hours of business are there they open they should post exceptions. If not they are just disrespecting their customers. Assuming your customers are on any of the social platforms are infuriating.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

All bars, breweries & restaurants should post basic details such as hours and location prominently on their home page, and keep it up to date. It's maddening how this info is buried on sites, if present at all.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Chris wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:50 am I don't trust 3rd parties like google or Facebook … but businesses have no excuse for not posting on their website. If their hours of business are there they open they should post exceptions. If not they are just disrespecting their customers. Assuming your customers are on any of the social platforms are infuriating.
I don't use social media and I'm glad to see others also feel that the business website should be the defining spot for posting hours of business.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Cass wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:01 am All bars, breweries & restaurants should post basic details such as hours and location prominently on their home page, and keep it up to date. It's maddening how this info is buried on sites, if present at all.
the only 2 things that need to be on a breweries website should be the hours when they are open and the product they have available

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

matt7215 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:25 pm
Cass wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:01 am All bars, breweries & restaurants should post basic details such as hours and location prominently on their home page, and keep it up to date. It's maddening how this info is buried on sites, if present at all.
the only 2 things that need to be on a breweries website should be the hours when they are open and the product they have available
Some are much better than others and making sure this is accurate and up to date. Ever gone somewhere and found out they are "sold out" of something that was listed?

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

matt7215 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:25 pm the only 2 things that need to be on a breweries website should be the hours when they are open and the product they have available
I like when some get really creative and also list their address on their website. Sure it's kind of pretentious, but still a nice touch. :wink:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

As someone actively chasing newly opened breweries you'd be surprised how often it's a challenge to find out the basics like address, hours, whether or not you are legally open to sell beer, whether they are an actual brewery or a contract brewery, do you have packaged beer or draft only. etc. Also determining whether I can trust your website and if not, which of your social media sites they actually update. Does anyone actually respond to emails?

I assume for many of the non-Toronto breweries the the locals just show up so it doesn't matter as much if they have an online presence but it can be maddening sometimes. There is a point at which they'd be better off to just have a basic website that says 'we never update this. Call us if you have questions.'

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:12 pm
matt7215 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:25 pm
Some are much better than others and making sure this is accurate and up to date. Ever gone somewhere and found out they are "sold out" of something that was listed?
when beers sell out during retail hours I think its understandable, should still be updated before the next day
I was more referencing sites that dont even list what might be available

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Tapsucker wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:18 pm
matt7215 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:25 pm the only 2 things that need to be on a breweries website should be the hours when they are open and the product they have available
I like when some get really creative and also list their address on their website. Sure it's kind of pretentious, but still a nice touch. :wink:
having the address of your business on your website is pretentious?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

matt7215 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:55 am
Tapsucker wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:18 pm
having the address of your business on your website is pretentious?
He's being sarcastic, saying 3 things need to be on the website, not 2.

matt7215 wrote: when beers sell out during retail hours I think its understandable, should still be updated before the next day
this!
I visit a website, see a product I want, get there and they say "sorry it sold out today", I say "dammit"
I visit a website, see a product I want, get there and they say "sorry it sold out a few days ago", I say "well fuck you"... but probably not to their face lol
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge