Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Side Launch - Mountain Lager discontinued - WTF?

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S M A

Post by S M A »

Am I the only one that feels like this media release came through a rip in the space-time continuum, direct from Bizarro World? I mean, sure, spin it up a bit. But, Equals Brewing (of which I'd never previously heard tell) is one of Ontario's most successful brewers? Side Launch Wheat is the world's #3 wheat beer? And yes, I know it is (or has been in the past) well-regarded.

I must know: what other outstanding achievements in the field of excellence does this partnership have in store for Ontario beer, seltzer, and Newspeak enthusiasts?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Side launch has actually fallen to 4th now, but it's definitely not news it's a world-class hefe:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/wei ... eweizen/7/

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

S M A wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:10 pm Am I the only one that feels like this media release came through a rip in the space-time continuum, direct from Bizarro World? I mean, sure, spin it up a bit. But, Equals Brewing (of which I'd never previously heard tell) is one of Ontario's most successful brewers? Side Launch Wheat is the world's #3 wheat beer? And yes, I know it is (or has been in the past) well-regarded.

I must know: what other outstanding achievements in the field of excellence does this partnership have in store for Ontario beer, seltzer, and Newspeak enthusiasts?
Yeah, this reads from the deep end of the post truth PR pool. It's all "cuz we say so".

I was charmed by this line in Ben's Beer Blog, though:
"because in 2014 it was actually illegal in Ontario to open a brewery without a beer that “marries the best of traditional English and modern American pale ale styles.”"
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

As touched on in Ben's article, Side Launch was just all over the map lately. Sounds like there's desire to keep and expand the existing facility but Side Launch definitely needs to revisit its branding, build something cohesive. Something tells me there are gonna be Side Launch seltzers in no time though...

What I really wish is that Hancock takes his core recipes and resurrects the Denison's brand and brewpub. I still bought Side Launch Wheat regularly, but I swear it never quite tasted the same. I wasn't as enamoured by the SL branding either, I miss those old Denison's cans.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

seangm wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:42 pm What I really wish is that Hancock takes his core recipes and resurrects the Denison's brand and brewpub.
I wonder if any enterprising brewery in Ontario has approached him to bring the brand back as a part of a broader portfolio. I'm sure he doesn't want to do all the heavy lifting at this stage of his career. Would be a shame if he signed away the brand name to SL.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Cass wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:03 pm
seangm wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:42 pm What I really wish is that Hancock takes his core recipes and resurrects the Denison's brand and brewpub.
I wonder if any enterprising brewery in Ontario has approached him to bring the brand back as a part of a broader portfolio. I'm sure he doesn't want to do all the heavy lifting at this stage of his career. Would be a shame if he signed away the brand name to SL.
That's what I was thinking, since it seems like he won't really be a part of SL's future. Would be a shame indeed. Sadly I don't have the capital to get it done lol

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

seangm wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:42 pm ... Side Launch definitely needs to revisit its branding ...
And they have.

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2023/0 ... -branding/

Did they give you an honorarium for your suggestion? :D

cboden

Post by cboden »

Equals Brewing has purchased Sidelaunch. I've heard they've reached out to Hancock to consult, with the desire to brew the beers staying true to his original recipes.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

cboden wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:12 am
Equals Brewing has purchased Sidelaunch. I've heard they've reached out to Hancock to consult, with the desire to brew the beers staying true to his original recipes.
Not sure if this is permanent, but Godspeed has done this with Weizen & Dunkel:

https://www.godspeedbrewery.com/shop/arbeit-hefeweizen
https://www.godspeedbrewery.com/shop/ar ... izen-36wss

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:41 pm
seangm wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:42 pm ... Side Launch definitely needs to revisit its branding ...
And they have.

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2023/0 ... -branding/

Did they give you an honorarium for your suggestion? :D
Hah, I wish. No one ever gives me credit for all my great ideas.