Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Breweries Selling outside beers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Breweries Selling outside beers

Post by Craig »

A trend that has started, and I wholeheartedly approve of, is breweries starting to sell stuff from other breweries. A few times this year I've bought from Willibald and got them to send me stuff from Matron and other PEC breweries. It's nice for me because I get the free shipping from Willi, which I wouldn't from Matron.

I was on their site today and noticed they're selling Jester King bottles. (https://drinkwillibald.com/collections/ ... ibald-farm) Presumably this was brought in by keep6, I can't imagine they're importing directly from JK. I'm surprised, I didn't think that was allowed. Anyone know how this works? Maybe they just got a bottle shop license or something?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Craig wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:29 am A trend that has started, and I wholeheartedly approve of, is breweries starting to sell stuff from other breweries. A few times this year I've bought from Willibald and got them to send me stuff from Matron and other PEC breweries. It's nice for me because I get the free shipping from Willi, which I wouldn't from Matron.

I was on their site today and noticed they're selling Jester King bottles. (https://drinkwillibald.com/collections/ ... ibald-farm) Presumably this was brought in by keep6, I can't imagine they're importing directly from JK. I'm surprised, I didn't think that was allowed. Anyone know how this works? Maybe they just got a bottle shop license or something?
they probably have a bar license, same license as a bottle shop

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

You can ship beer with a bar license?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Maybe as long as a food item is included?

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Cass wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:36 pm Maybe as long as a food item is included?
I think this is it. A $1.00 bag of chips will do. As I understand it, the law changed during COVID to help restaurants by allowing them to add alcohol to take-out orders. This is an exploitation of that law. I find it really stupid. If you are going to allow this loophole to be exploited, then just relax the law and allow it.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Well then willi owe me like 4 bags of chips.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

I've noticed the food thing has been enforced at some breweries, others never bothered. I'm guessing everyone's just playing fast and loose with the rules these days because they're mostly b.s. anyway.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:38 pm
I think this is it. A $1.00 bag of chips will do. As I understand it, the law changed during COVID to help restaurants by allowing them to add alcohol to take-out orders. This is an exploitation of that law. I find it really stupid. If you are going to allow this loophole to be exploited, then just relax the law and allow it.
Apparently they might be cracking down on some of the fine print that has been added, things like contact details for those purchasing, minimum number of seats on site - bottle shops might be in for a rough ride. With the convenience store lobby winning the right to sell booze, they will be paying licenses and will really push back on the current status of bottle shops getting a free ride.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

seangm wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:13 am I've noticed the food thing has been enforced at some breweries, others never bothered. I'm guessing everyone's just playing fast and loose with the rules these days because they're mostly b.s. anyway.
I had a couple of orders where I paid for chips and didn't get them. It's like a $1 so who cares, but often by that point I was looking forward to the snack LOL

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Napalm Frog wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:26 pm
S. St. Jeb wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:38 pm
Apparently they might be cracking down on some of the fine print that has been added, things like contact details for those purchasing, minimum number of seats on site - bottle shops might be in for a rough ride. With the convenience store lobby winning the right to sell booze, they will be paying licenses and will really push back on the current status of bottle shops getting a free ride.
Hopefully bottle shops are given the option to get the appropriate licence and continue existing, it'd be a shame if they were forced to close down.
JerCraigs wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:53 pm I had a couple of orders where I paid for chips and didn't get them. It's like a $1 so who cares, but often by that point I was looking forward to the snack LOL
Haha yea, if I paid for those chips I'd certainly want them.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

seangm wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:01 pm Hopefully bottle shops are given the option to get the appropriate licence and continue existing, it'd be a shame if they were forced to close down.
The big thing will be the cost, I know Loblaws pays 10s of thousands for a license, and 7/11 will likely by a good chunk for increased traffic.