Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:19 am Wavemaker has their Lagerbier listed in the LCBO; no inventory yet. They describe it as a Franconian-style lager which was just discussed on the Elora Brewing thread.

From the Wavemaker website:

Pouring a hazy golden yellow, this unfiltered, Franconian-style lager is very expressive while maintaining a very smooth, easy drinking finish. Plenty of fruity yeast esters present from a warmer-than-usual lager fermentation, finishing very crisp.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Craig wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:29 am The other is this one: https://elorabrewingco.myshopify.com/co ... n-landbier A Franconian Landbier. What is a Franconian Landbier? I admit I had no idea when this popped up. From looking it up, it seems to just be a very loosely defined style/naming convention adopted in the German countryside. I'm expecting something darker than a Kellerbier but lighter than a Dunkel or Marzen. I'm also expecting it to be unfiltered and hoppier than neighbouring styles. Anyone know more about this style than I do? I got all that from 5 minutes on Google.
seangm wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:44 am As far as Landbiers, I've had precisely one actual German landbier from Privatbrauerei Einsiedler. It was filtered and definitely more commercial, but right as you described between a kellerbier and dunkel with regards to malt. It was coppery in colour with a solid malty backbone and touch of fruitiness. Hop character was present, actually a bit earthy. It seems to be a rustic lager but open to interpretation, as some other commercial German landbiers are a lighter golden, looking closer to a kellerbier or even helles.

So I guess what I'm saying is, what to expect is a bit of a mystery lol

I havnt had it in probably 18 months or so…but it was pretty damn tasty when I grabbed a bunch of cans last. Easy drinking and satisfying. Probably the best beer I’ve had from Wavemaker.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:47 am
cfrancis wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:02 pm Just noticed that Founders Backwards Bastard is back on the LCBO site. No inventory.

Anyone know is this is coming back?

Please, please. I love this beer.

It’s in store now. I just grabbed a few bottles today(Guelph)
You just made my year! Merry Christmas to all!!

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Apparently Goose Island BCBS went on sale this morning online and is already gone.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Gedge wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:14 pm Apparently Goose Island BCBS went on sale this morning online and is already gone.
Yep, we have a chat going in a BCS thread:

viewtopic.php?t=11126

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

There’s a good number of 3F Intens Rood in stores now, and it looks like pretty wide distribution.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Online pic and listing says "online exclusive" but it's not available online and is in 20 stores. Okay, thanks LCBO.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Craig wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:26 am Online pic and listing says "online exclusive" but it's not available online and is in 20 stores. Okay, thanks LCBO.
HAH, I noticed that. I think it WAS an online exclusive in the past, maybe they re-used the listing?

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Not many stores have it, but those that do mostly have a lot. Peterborough, for example.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

I picked up a couple of bottles of the 3F Intens Rood. Also noticed an Ontario classic back on the shelves (or perhaps i just haven't noticed it) in the form of Saint Andre Vienna Lager, though now called Bohemian Lager.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

The St Andre is only $2.00 for a tall boy???!!!
F5BF7326-D21A-44B6-BB26-629D9425F1AE.jpeg

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Didn't St Andre disappear for some time? Or am I misremembering? I recall it used to be on tap at C'est What years ago.
lister

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

lister wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:58 am Didn't St Andre disappear for some time? Or am I misremembering? I recall it used to be on tap at C'est What years ago.
Lol I remember drinking it on tap there close to 20 years ago when dating my ex who lived at Church/Esplanade. It was my go-to before I even had a thought of what craft beer was.

And yes, it's only $2 for a tall boy. Picked up a couple for nostalgia's sake a week or two ago at the LCBO by Wilson/Dufferin. Cool is brewing it these days (not sure if they always did, but I don't believe so).

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet - Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique : https://www.lcbo.com/en/les-trois-mousq ... que-244376

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

distr0 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:47 am Not sure if this has been mentioned yet - Les Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique : https://www.lcbo.com/en/les-trois-mousq ... que-244376
Absolutely love this beer, thanks for posting!
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Oh, I love that too! We used to get LTM beers fairly regularly, but I can't recall the last time I saw one.

It holds up great over time too, I'll get a few of these!