Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Something in the Water

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BartOwl

Something in the Water

Post by BartOwl »

I went to this brewery (the one in Liberty Village Toronto), last night. Their oatmeal stout was fantastic. It was an English variety, so I enjoyed the hops and the character-full taste and aroma due to the English ale yeast strain. I also had one of their NE IPAs, which was well made. Their gingerbread stout had a strong ginger taste, and was overall good, but could use some more hops or ester complexity. Overall, this is a great addition to Liberty Village, and I will be back in the future. It's a bit small, but they reserved a table for us, when I called ahead of time. They serve sandwiches too, but its not a full kitchen. The Cali sandwich I had was quite tasty too.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Thanks for the info! I remember it opening but don't find myself in Liberty Village much nowadays. Will have to go and check it out!

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

I got their Outro ESB to go. I got the last two, and I think it is seasonal, so I am not sure if there is more. However, it too was very good. It had plenty of malty complexity and plenty of hop flavour. It was better than some others I have had in the province.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

See, I'd love to try that oatmeal stout or ESB, but instead they send things like their lime lager or (yet another) hazy IPA to the LCBO- thus I've yet to try anything from them. Good to hear the beer is good though, I usually grab food and a beer in LV before I go to shows at the Amphitheatre, but I find most choices in that neighbourhood to be average at best. Did you try any of the food? Looks like just sandwiches, but that's a good pre-show combo in my eyes.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

seangm wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:47 am See, I'd love to try that oatmeal stout or ESB, but instead they send things like their lime lager or (yet another) hazy IPA to the LCBO- thus I've yet to try anything from them. Good to hear the beer is good though, I usually grab food and a beer in LV before I go to shows at the Amphitheatre, but I find most choices in that neighbourhood to be average at best. Did you try any of the food? Looks like just sandwiches, but that's a good pre-show combo in my eyes.
the lcbo chooses what to carry, so the beers you want not being at the lcbo is an lcbo problem not a brewery problem

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

seangm wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:47 am See, I'd love to try that oatmeal stout or ESB, but instead they send things like their lime lager or (yet another) hazy IPA to the LCBO- thus I've yet to try anything from them. Good to hear the beer is good though, I usually grab food and a beer in LV before I go to shows at the Amphitheatre, but I find most choices in that neighbourhood to be average at best. Did you try any of the food? Looks like just sandwiches, but that's a good pre-show combo in my eyes.
As mentioned in the original post, I tried their Cali sandwich, and it was quite good. Others there liked their sandwiches too. It's not a big meal though. I agree that the oatmeal stout and the ESB were more enjoyable than the lime lager and the hazy IPA.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

They also purchased Stone City in Kingston and rebranded it.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

BartOwl wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:25 pm
As mentioned in the original post, I tried their Cali sandwich, and it was quite good. Others there liked their sandwiches too. It's not a big meal though. I agree that the oatmeal stout and the ESB were more enjoyable than the lime lager and the hazy IPA.
Wow, I must've been tired yesterday. Indeed it's right there that you tried the food! My bad lol