Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Goose Island Black Friday & Bourbon County Stout

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Picked up my bottles last night, no hassle. Might be a nice holiday treat!

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Cass wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:20 pm Just got my pickup email!

Interesting about the bottles being back in stock, I guess they are cancelled orders?
Haven't received my pick-up email yet. Hoping my two are not among the 76 bottles that reemerged...

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Naturally received the pick-up email shortly after bitching about it. Something about BCBS that makes me get a little bit crazy...

BINGEBOT

Post by BINGEBOT »

Picked up mine today, woot! Also grabbed some Backwards Bastard while I was at it... Only took a month later than expected..

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

For anyone that may be interested, they got some BCS back on LCBO.com. Possibly cancelled orders? 66 bottles available as of right now.

https://www.lcbo.com/en/goose-island-bo ... out-549691

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

Cass wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:21 pm Info for those who celebrate :)

https://www.gooseisland.ca/bourboncountystout

LCBO.com release at 10am on 25th. Looks like a non-ticketed event at the brewpub this year pouring it.
This was such great fun that I dropped by today to ask if there might be a repeat of last year's festivities and I was informed that they would have to sell BCS at such a high price to break even that it was a non-starter.

Let's hope we can get some bottles from the LCBO instead.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

BigBob wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:17 pm This was such great fun that I dropped by today to ask if there might be a repeat of last year's festivities and I was informed that they would have to sell BCS at such a high price to break even that it was a non-starter.
That's a real shame, I always enjoying going to the tasting. Their rationale is a bit strange as they often have BCS on tap throughout the year but they usually don't make a big deal about it. But like everything I'm sure costs have skyrocketed.

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

Cass wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:09 pm
BigBob wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:17 pm This was such great fun that I dropped by today to ask if there might be a repeat of last year's festivities and I was informed that they would have to sell BCS at such a high price to break even that it was a non-starter.
That's a real shame, I always enjoying going to the tasting. Their rationale is a bit strange as they often have BCS on tap throughout the year but they usually don't make a big deal about it. But like everything I'm sure costs have skyrocketed.
Another possibility is that I received bad information. It is a faint hope, but a hope just the same.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

BigBob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:41 pm Another possibility is that I received bad information. It is a faint hope, but a hope just the same.
They never responded to me on Instagram about it, so not looking too promising.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Confirmed by Goose Island TO (via their IG) - no BCBS this year.

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

Cass wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:07 pm Confirmed by Goose Island TO (via their IG) - no BCBS this year.
Does this refer to both the on tap event at the brewhouse and the release at the LCBO?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

BigBob wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:19 pm
Cass wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:07 pm Confirmed by Goose Island TO (via their IG) - no BCBS this year.
Does this refer to both the on tap event at the brewhouse and the release at the LCBO?
My presumption is both, this is what they said: "Unfortunately, we have made the difficult decision to not bring Bourbon County Stout to Canada this year. This was driven by the supply chain complexity of importing the product."

BCBS is not on LCBO.com and I think it would be in the database by now if they were indeed doing a sale on Thursday.

They did, however, mention that BCS'22 is currently on tap at the Brewhouse so I might head down and have a glass anyway.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

I contacted the LCBO and they confirmed that BCBS 2023 is not on order this year. Devastating.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

To each their own, but I think there are way better stouts, at a better price point, than BCBS. I had my first one (actually 3) last year and was underwhelmed for sure.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:59 am To each their own, but I think there are way better stouts, at a better price point, than BCBS. I had my first one (actually 3) last year and was underwhelmed for sure.
I think I'm inclined to agree. I had my first and only from the 2020 release and while I did think it was excellent, I didn't feel compelled to buy any of the following releases.