Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Best canned "lawnmower" beer?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

heebes

Post by heebes »

I had a Welly Imp Stout on the lawnmower once this summer...do not recommend this.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I was actually thinking about this topic with the warm weather. I've been drinking the crud out of Junction Craft Ale. They seem to be moving lots of stock and replenishing frequently with fresh cans. It's just insanely drinkable tasty stuff and it's quite inexpensive.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

1 more for Crazy Cannuck

Also, Creemore Kellerbier is my go to in these cases. In parts of Southern Germany, Kellerbier is treated like the local lawnmower beer.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

Creemore Kellerbier is another one that comes to mind.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Denisons Hefe!

I love drinking hefeweizen while working in the heat... sometimes diluted as a Radler.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Finally had some mower time over the weekend.
My initial report as follows:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Scottish Pale Ale from Neustadt?
or, Lake of Bays Crosswinds Pale Ale?
or, St Ambroise Pale Ale?
Haven't had the first two and didn't find them in my local LCBO. Will check again soon.

St Ambroise Pale Ale I haven't had in ages (huge fan of the Oatmeal Stout) and I didn't know it was available in cans. Will try sometime. Might fit the bill in this context.
Ceecee wrote:Fuller's ESB and Wellington Arkell Best Bitter have served me well as lawnmower beer. Both are $2.60 a can.
Had the ESB before. Not my favourite style for hot weather, but it is getting cooler now. Haven't had the Wellington Bitter, again maybe not my favourite style but will try, I could surprise myself.
Ceecee wrote:Crazy Canuck?
Baulz wrote: +1
Light, hoppy, and inexpensive.
MatttthewGeorge wrote:duh! Can't believe I forgot that one!
instantkamera wrote:+1 to Crazy Canuck.
Tapsucker wrote:1 more for Crazy Cannuck
Some ringing endorsements! This beer I was able to get and have now had some good lawnmower sessions with. I can see why you all recommend this. I had never had this beer before. Quite thirst quenching and just the right amount of flavour for hot weather. I think it would be particularily good in very hot weather, but I didn't and won't get the chance until next year for that. Definitely on the list for me now.
instantkamera wrote:I would say Dead Elephant, but it's even higher in abv than EyePA.
ercousin wrote:I've had two bad (oxidized) pints of Dead Elephant in a row now and have pretty much written off Railway City for a while.
This was the winner for me! Never had this one before. Outstanding! My choice now. What I was looking for (lower AVB) and what I ended up liking most just didn't match. I guess that is just me! The 3 cans I had all seemed to be of fine quality (no oxidation).
instantkamera wrote:Maybe Augusta Ale, since you like Kensington's other offering?
Tried this and was hopeful, but no this beer did nothing for me and was far inferior to me in all respects than the EyePA. Weird they come from the same brewery.
JeffPorter wrote:Junction Craft Ale.
Will have to try.
Tapsucker wrote:Creemore Kellerbier is my go to in these cases.
Inkling wrote:Creemore Kellerbier is another one that comes to mind.
Will also have to try.
Derek wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Denisons Hefe!
I was (am) a fan of the Denisons Weissbier and was thinking of that being a good choice for a beer in hot weather, but I've only ever had that on tap at Volo ages ago and thought it never made it to distribution. I had no idea it was available in cans at the LCBO. Will have to try it.
ercousin wrote:You could also get yourself something like a stainless growler and just pour bottled beer into that?
If I really couldn't find something in cans this is an option but I prefer to have the cans and open them one by one when I want them. Sometimes I take four out and only drink one.

-------------------------

So in summary the Dead Elephant is my new go to so far.
Thanks all once again. I'll have to pick this up next year as all testings will now be skewed with the cooler weather.

-------------------------
Malcolm wrote:Soon you'll be able to put a plow on the front of it and crack a Welly Imperial Stout.
Funny you should mention it I've got a snow blade on order for my lawnmower and will have to try this!

Cheers All,
ST

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Maybe a little late to the party here…..
But I’m going to throw this out there. The new(ish) Mexican lager by Cowbell that’s in 4 packs at the LCBO is IMO fantastic for what it is. I’ve had it stocked in my fridge constantly since first discovering it. Works on all levels, refreshing, flavourful enough, in-offensive enough for non craft drinking guests and fairly priced.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I had this on draught at Cowbell and disliked it. To each their own.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:25 pm Maybe a little late to the party here…..
I love this revisiting a decade later stuff. Not out of nostalgia, but what we have learned and how we and the options have changed. Good fun.

FWIW, I'm up voting Great Lakes Lager.

BTW - don't mow your lawn, let it grow and have the butterflies take over, then you can sit back and drink anything you fancy while you enjoy the action. 8)
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Left Field Ice Cold is a summer staple for me, straight out of the can. Gardening, yard work; whatever I might be doing outside, it fits the bill. Seems to stay ice cold too since those small cans disappear quickly. Seconded on GLB lager too, if not just for the fact a 2-4 is fifty bucks.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Tapsucker wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:38 pm
I love this revisiting a decade later stuff. Not out of nostalgia, but what we have learned and how we and the options have changed. Good fun.

FWIW, I'm up voting Great Lakes Lager.
Love it! I'll throw out Sunnyside Session IPA or a nice cold Absacker Helles. Gaslight from Muddy York also hits the spot too.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Kingston Brewing Company make a light beer called Yardwork. A hoppy blonde ale, it's perfect IMO. Not sure how available it is outside of Kingston though.