Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:45 pm If my eyes didn’t deceive me, I think I just saw the Vim&Vigor is coming to the LCBO. Happy days.
Your eyes didn't deceive you. I enjoyed one on the weekend. A classy Ontario made pilsner.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

cannondale wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:41 am
sofakingdrunk wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:45 pm If my eyes didn’t deceive me, I think I just saw the Vim&Vigor is coming to the LCBO. Happy days.
Your eyes didn't deceive you. I enjoyed one on the weekend. A classy Ontario made pilsner.

That’s great news, I love Vim&Vigor. Right up there for best Pilsner in the province, for me along with Donna.
I’m hoping it ends up being a wider distribution and not only Ottawa area.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I see the Jart-Elle Oude Kriek is available now, but at $11.95 for 375ml, it better be pretty damn good.

Anyone had it, yet?

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Andicus wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:35 pm I see the Jart-Elle Oude Kriek is available now, but at $11.95 for 375ml, it better be pretty damn good.

Anyone had it, yet?
Yes, I have had it. It was good, but if you want a strong cherry component, you will be disappointed.

I think I could get into my displeasure for high prices, but it may be more helpful for LCBO relative value. The 3 Fonteinen kriek that was released a couple of years ago was a few dollars more and was a better price/taste proposition.

I would say buy it, as I did, but don't buy more than one. A bit of a checking off a brewery box for me.

tyke66a

Post by tyke66a »

Since I wanted the label to add to my collection, :roll: I must admit I didn't even look at the price until afterwards so it was a bit pricey for 375ml

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

anthony9 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:33 am
Andicus wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:35 pm I see the Jart-Elle Oude Kriek is available now, but at $11.95 for 375ml, it better be pretty damn good.

Anyone had it, yet?
Yes, I have had it. It was good, but if you want a strong cherry component, you will be disappointed.

I think I could get into my displeasure for high prices, but it may be more helpful for LCBO relative value. The 3 Fonteinen kriek that was released a couple of years ago was a few dollars more and was a better price/taste proposition.

I would say buy it, as I did, but don't buy more than one. A bit of a checking off a brewery box for me.
I picked one up the other day. I saw that there were only 3 left in stock, locally, so that got me off my butt.

And, yes, I was also thinking of 3 Fonteinen regarding the price. I wasn't able to get one of those, so I won't be able to make a personal comparison.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

My earlier comment was basically saying 3F is more expensive than Lambiek Fabriek, but I think the quality is greater if we are only looking at the two companies in a vacuum.

If you've never had it the Armand and Gaston, part of the summer release, is great. Pricing seems to fluctuate, so the price could be higher or lower than the previous release by a significant percentage.

I hope you enjoy the kriek.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Yes, that's what I took your reply to mean.

I completely missed the Armand and Gaston. I have to read more carefully. As it's not a brewery I'm familiar with, I totally missed that it was a gueuze.

I will definitely be giving that a try. Cheers!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Andicus wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:55 pm
anthony9 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:33 am

Anyone had it, yet?

I picked one up the other day. I saw that there were only 3 left in stock, locally, so that got me off my butt.

And, yes, I was also thinking of 3 Fonteinen regarding the price. I wasn't able to get one of those, so I won't be able to make a personal comparison.
You'd have to travel a bit, but there's lots of 3F Intens Rood in stores right now: https://www.lcbo.com/en/storeinventory/?sku=21838

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

I don't know about others, but I saw when that first got listed and I have a hard cap for LCBO stuff and it's above that. $20 is a lot for a half bottle.

tyke66a

Post by tyke66a »

Harviestoun Bitter and Twisted back in small 330ml bottles (31065) at $3.20 with deposit. Still a top UK beer with multiple CAMRA awards

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

3 Fonteinen Armand & Gaston Oude Geuze is listed, but not available ($11.95, same as the LF Jart-elle, much better, though not apples to apples).

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

3F Armand is in stores now, i just cracked one. Sensational and worth every damn penny.

Jaipur ipa is also back after a 10 or so year hiatus…and I think it’s cheaper now than it was back then. It’s still a tasty drink, but our ipa selection has come so far now that it’s nothing special anymore.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Not sure how new these are:

Small Pony Barrel Works Tropical Apocalypse - 473 can

Timmermans Lambicus Strawberry - 330 bottle

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

anyone know when equilibrium astrophysics batch was canned. It came out in NY State in January 23.
Reliable Beer Critic