Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2023 LCBO Summer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Ah, I should've separated those thoughts better. I couldn't find Equilibrium on the LCBO website. I found the Dupont listing, but it doesn't seem like the latest order has rolled out yet, at least near me anyway.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Craig wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:44 am I've always thought it tasted better out of the big green bottles too, but I just chalked that up to tasting with my eyes or my imagination or something.

The beer I really miss is Avec Les Bons Voeux. I used to get tons of that every holiday season, haven't seen it in ages.

I’ve got one lonely bottle kicking around that I can’t bring myself to crack. It would be nice to see them being back the magnum sized bottle at the holidays again, it was great for Christmas dinner sharing. I wish I had bought more than 3 of them and made them last.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Great news about Boon! I bought 2 cases, last time, and only have 2 bottles left. I made the mistake of using 1/2 bottle in making ribs, and really enjoyed it, so have made a habit out of it.

I'll be stocking up, again.

Looking forward, however, to trying Lambiek Fabriek - Brett-Elle. Will have to do so, early, so I can stock up if I like it.

Just wish they would get my old (Oude!) favourite back, Oude Geuze Boon. As I've related, previously, this is the beer that lead me to The Bar Towel, way back when.

Speaking of beer I wish they would stock, again, I'm missing Schneider Weisse Original. I like the Helle Weisse and Aventinus, but the original remains my preference. I suspect it's not here because they don't appear to can it. I would expect that it's significantly more expensive to transport bottles, these days.

I've been hesitant to order another case of Helle Weisse, as the last one wasn't particularly fresh.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Boon's Oude geuze was also my first of many Lambics. Nothing else I'd ever had before it.

One thing I really like about Boon is their production levels and therefore prices. I'm sure that the Fabriek beers will be good, but I doubt they will be 70% better than a normal Boon. I'm much more looking forward to A&G, as the last one I had was excellent.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I'm so happy St. Bernie wit is back! The perfect summer beer for my taste.

emma999

Post by emma999 »

Cass wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:00 am And here's the summer 2023 beer release at the LCBO!

Always love to see Boon back!

SKU # Product name Size
31346 Wildbrau Helles 500
19429 Armand & Gaston Oude Geuze 375
31364 Good Robot Thembot Guava Blackberry Sour 473
322529 Hofbrau Hefe Weizen 500 mL 500
31366 ST. BERNARDUS WIT 1320
31367 LAMBIEK FABRIEK - BRETT-ELLE 375
31370 Le Trou du diable - Perroquet IPA 473
32237 Equilibrium Astrophysics IPA 473
489435 Saison Dupont 330
23743 Kriek Boon 375
Thanks for sharing the exciting beer releases for summer 2023 at the LCBO. It's always a treat to see familiar favorites like Boon back on the shelves.

The lineup looks fantastic, with a great variety of styles and sizes to choose from. The Wildbrau Helles, Armand & Gaston Oude Geuze, and Good Robot Thembot Guava Blackberry Sour sound particularly intriguing. And of course, classics like Hofbrau Hefe Weizen and Saison Dupont are always a reliable choice.

I appreciate you listing the SKUs and sizes for each beer. It's helpful for those who are interested in trying out specific ones or looking to explore new options.

I can't wait to check out these releases and perhaps discover some new favorites. Cheers to a fantastic summer filled with great beers!

If anyone has any recommendations or thoughts on these releases, feel free to share. Happy tasting, everyone!

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

The Equilibrium is pretty terrible. Syrupy sweet, tasting like cotton candy,bubblegum and dextrose all at the same time.
My cans(bought two at the same Waterloo location) may have been compromised though. They both were overly frothy when pouring them, to the point that I could only get half the can in the glass.
Curious what other peoples cans were like.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

On the plus side I just drank a beautiful can of Superflux colour and shape picked up from the LCBO. Big tropical fruit flavours with a nice bitterness in the finish. A nice addition to the LCBO options.

portwood

Post by portwood »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:02 pm The Equilibrium is pretty terrible. Syrupy sweet, tasting like cotton candy,bubblegum and dextrose all at the same time.
My cans(bought two at the same Waterloo location) may have been compromised though. They both were overly frothy when pouring them, to the point that I could only get half the can in the glass.
Curious what other peoples cans were like.
Similar experience for me (I've only opened one of the two cans I bought), of which I commented on untappd: This can is either way past its "best before" date (damn the brewery for not printing dates on the can & damn the LCBO for stocking it!), or it's just not a good beer (IMO). There are 10% triple IPAs that feel less boozy than this one.
@markhamwhisky

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:04 pm On the plus side I just drank a beautiful can of Superflux colour and shape picked up from the LCBO. Big tropical fruit flavours with a nice bitterness in the finish. A nice addition to the LCBO options.
Out of curiosity, what was the canning date? My gf brought some back for me from BC a couple months ago; really enjoyed it but I know I'd want to have it relatively fresh since I did the last time I had it lol.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Still no sign of Boon. Should I be worried?

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Andicus wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:35 pm Still no sign of Boon. Should I be worried?
I saw the Boon Kriek in the Yonge/ Wellesley (?) store two weeks ago. LCBO app/website leaves much to be desired.

Brett-Elle (unfruited geuze from Lambiek Fabriek) seems to be in stores, too.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

anthony9 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:00 pm
Andicus wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:35 pm Still no sign of Boon. Should I be worried?
I saw the Boon Kriek in the Yonge/ Wellesley (?) store two weeks ago. LCBO app/website leaves much to be desired.

Thanks, it's good to hear that it's actually here, but very disappointing that it's not even listed on the website.

I'll be ordering a couple of cases, when I can. Hopefully my local store will be able to look it up.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Andicus wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:01 pm
anthony9 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:00 pm

Thanks, it's good to hear that it's actually here, but very disappointing that it's not even listed on the website.

I'll be ordering a couple of cases, when I can. Hopefully my local store will be able to look it up.
This could just be me or maybe something I was eating earlier, but the Kriek tasted different than the last time I had it. I understand it's 4th/5th tier kriek from Boon, but I would say get one to try before buying a few cases.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

anthony9 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:40 pm This could just be me or maybe something I was eating earlier, but the Kriek tasted different than the last time I had it. I understand it's 4th/5th tier kriek from Boon, but I would say get one to try before buying a few cases.
That's a bit concerning. I'll do what I can to try it, first.

Thanks again.