Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Innocente Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

I loved conscience when I grabbed it early last month. I really hope they are not tweaking it too much because ian's description sounds nothing like what I had.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

ckoop wrote:I loved conscience when I grabbed it early last month. I really hope they are not tweaking it too much because ian's description sounds nothing like what I had.
Definitely agree with this. Picked up Conscience at the brewery mid-July, having had it at Winking Judge Beer Fest. Loved it.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

iguenard wrote:I just "had' the americn IPA Conscience... overly hopped, green, messy sweet caramelly what the heck is this kind of beer. Is it awful? Probably not, but calling this an american IPA is steering expectations WAYYYY out in left field.

The two gulps I had before pouring it out reminded me of a very sweet english brown ale, with way too much earthy caramel and hops in it. Tasted more like an unfiltered imperial english pale ale, if such a thing exists.

I think it tends to try to be Alpha King-kind of bitter, but with too noble a hop. Just didn't work out for me at all. Sorry Innocente!
I agree with this assessment. Green tasting. Also, maybe the galaxy isn't the best hop here.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Innocente makes one of the best Pilseners and best Porters in the province. Saying they’re one of the worst breweries in the province just shows that “hazebros” shouldn’t rate beer. It’s like having someone only into peat bomb scotches tell me what bourbons they hate.
I've only stopped in at Innocente once, and that was a few years ago. Have picked up their LCBO offerings more recently. I didn't know they made a pilsner. Will have to keep that in mind and stop in again next time I am out that way.....which doesn't look like it will be anytime soon. :(

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

I've changed my mind on Innocente, they are now one of my favorites. I was wrong.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

duckdown wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:42 pm I've changed my mind on Innocente, they are now one of my favorites. I was wrong.
Steve Innocente was a garbage human being during covid. attended and spoke at many rallies. 35 enforcement actions against him.
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/35-enforce ... -1.5447202

spend your money as you wish. but most people will feel that Innocente doesn't deserve a single penny

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

atomeyes wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:39 pm
duckdown wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:42 pm I've changed my mind on Innocente, they are now one of my favorites. I was wrong.
Steve Innocente was a garbage human being during covid. attended and spoke at many rallies. 35 enforcement actions against him.
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/35-enforce ... -1.5447202

spend your money as you wish. but most people will feel that Innocente doesn't deserve a single penny
Might want to read that article again: 35 enforcement actions in Waterloo Region, one of which went to Innocente.
Also Steve is a great guy. Very opinionated and outspoken, but besides being welcoming and friendly with me, he was one of the very first places making hand sanitizer at the beginning of Covid, and spent his own money to do so. I know because he bought supplies from my company. What he disagreed with was forced lockdowns and mask-mandates, and welcomed anyone who agreed with him to his brewery; everyone what was in his space was there by choice. I'm not too sure how that makes him a garbage human being, even if you disagree with him on lockdowns and masks.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:25 pm What he disagreed with was forced lockdowns and mask-mandates, and welcomed anyone who agreed with him to his brewery; everyone what was in his space was there by choice. I'm not too sure how that makes him a garbage human being, even if you disagree with him on lockdowns and masks.
I don't really want to delve into here too much, I'm not sure it's useful or productive, but I would suggest that this is a more generous assessment than many people are inclined to give him considering some of the things he said and did, and the people he was vocally associating himself with during the pandemic.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

JerCraigs wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:43 pm
MatttthewGeorge wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:25 pm What he disagreed with was forced lockdowns and mask-mandates, and welcomed anyone who agreed with him to his brewery; everyone what was in his space was there by choice. I'm not too sure how that makes him a garbage human being, even if you disagree with him on lockdowns and masks.
I don't really want to delve into here too much, I'm not sure it's useful or productive, but I would suggest that this is a more generous assessment than many people are inclined to give him considering some of the things he said and did, and the people he was vocally associating himself with during the pandemic.
"I don't really want to delve into here to much"... but I'm going to make some accusations without providing any proof.

Ok, thanks.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

distr0

Post by distr0 »

None of you are wrong. He was super nice to me as well. The sanitizer production during early covid was awesome. He also posted some absolute trash over the following couple years which has made me pretty uninterested in ever visiting again.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

"I don't really want to delve into it here too much" = I am conscious of the potential for this whole discussion to go sideways quickly. It's easy enough for people who want the details to google the Twitter and Reddit threads where it has already been discussed.

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

JerCraigs wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:02 am "I don't really want to delve into it here too much" = I am conscious of the potential for this whole discussion to go sideways quickly. It's easy enough for people who want the details to google the Twitter and Reddit threads where it has already been discussed.
As I am able to read books, view art and watch films created by individuals whose politics differ from mine, I don't anticipate much trouble drinking their beer. Perhaps I am uncommon in this regard.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

atomeyes wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:39 pm but most people will feel that Innocente doesn't deserve a single penny
Only the ones who get outraged easily

Nothing wrong with the beer, good service, you're just a mad guy on the internet who disagrees with someones politics and insults them over it