Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

tupalev wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:44 am Jordan had a good write up about the event: https://www.goodfoodrevolution.com/expe ... only-cafe/
Thanks for sharing.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

dale cannon wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:06 pm
MatttthewGeorge wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:46 am
dale cannon wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:30 am Anyone else tried the RR jazz hands and care to share their thoughts on it?
There's already 3-4 comments in this thread about how good Jazz Hands is.
I sought supplementary opinions with a sincere intention to reach a consensus on the product’s merits. If my actions inadvertently breached any social conventions, I extend my heartfelt apologies.
um, ok. I just thought maybe you didn't see/read the previous comments bro.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:43 am
dale cannon wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:06 pm
MatttthewGeorge wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:46 am

There's already 3-4 comments in this thread about how good Jazz Hands is.
I sought supplementary opinions with a sincere intention to reach a consensus on the product’s merits. If my actions inadvertently breached any social conventions, I extend my heartfelt apologies.
um, ok. I just thought maybe you didn't see/read the previous comments bro.
It was a weak attempt at deadpan humour on my part. All good brother.

In the article about The Only NOLO event St. John also had positive feedback on Jazz Hands. I’ll have to get my jazz hands on some.

Recently tried the Sierra Nevada Trail Pass IPA. I was looking forward to this one based on initial reviews but wound up mildly disappointed. It was thinner than I’d anticipated, and had a hint of the regrettable raw wort flavour that is nearly always present in these. It had decent but relatively faint hop aroma and was certainly enjoyable, but still a far cry from say, Sam Adams just the haze as far as reasonable facsimiles of leaded IPA go.

The Sierra Nevada hop splash on the other hand exceeded my expectations. I anticipated deciding that hop water was no more than an overpriced fad. When you’re not going in ready to compare with true beer, you can focus more on the positives. Bright hop aroma and flavour with a satisfying mineral bite and refreshing. Hop water will be in the fridge going forward.

I have a shipment inbound containing:
Sam Adams gold rush
Sierra Nevada trail pass golden
Rescue club ipa
Alesmith speedway stout NA
Lord hobo life
Flying dog deep fake
Brooklyn special effects ipa
Lagunitas hop refresher

Will share thoughts once consumed.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

@dale cannon Curious, where did you order all those from?

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

dale cannon wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:21 pm https://proofnomore.com/
I'm guessing you have an American postal box, or a mule?
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:21 pm Royal City has just released one that’s really quite solid.
Sweet, wasn't aware of this one. Will have to seek it out.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

dale cannon wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:29 pm
It was a weak attempt at deadpan humour on my part. All good brother.

In the article about The Only NOLO event St. John also had positive feedback on Jazz Hands. I’ll have to get my jazz hands on some.

Recently tried the Sierra Nevada Trail Pass IPA. I was looking forward to this one based on initial reviews but wound up mildly disappointed. It was thinner than I’d anticipated, and had a hint of the regrettable raw wort flavour that is nearly always present in these. It had decent but relatively faint hop aroma and was certainly enjoyable, but still a far cry from say, Sam Adams just the haze as far as reasonable facsimiles of leaded IPA go.

The Sierra Nevada hop splash on the other hand exceeded my expectations. I anticipated deciding that hop water was no more than an overpriced fad. When you’re not going in ready to compare with true beer, you can focus more on the positives. Bright hop aroma and flavour with a satisfying mineral bite and refreshing. Hop water will be in the fridge going forward.

I have a shipment inbound containing:
Sam Adams gold rush
Sierra Nevada trail pass golden
Rescue club ipa
Alesmith speedway stout NA
Lord hobo life
Flying dog deep fake
Brooklyn special effects ipa
Lagunitas hop refresher

Will share thoughts once consumed.
I've had most of those, but curious about the Alesmith and Flying Dog.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Sorry for the multiple messages...forget how these message boards work, lol.

On the NOLO fest, I thought Jazz Dance was mediocre. It was tasty, but had that lemony taste that a LOT of non-alcoholic IPAs have and starts to feel generic over time. I've tried probably about 300 NA beers, and have another 50 or so here to go through in the coming months, and that is one thing I notice in a lot of the IPAs, is a zippy/zesty/lemony taste that dominates.

Some of the NA IPAs I've liked are Harmon's Jack Pine, One for the Road Got Hops, Woodland Farms West Coast IPA, Nogne Himla Humla, Drop Bear Tropical (pretty much all their NA stuff is good), Vandestreek Grapefruit IPA, Athletic Run Wild (I'm an Ambassador for Athletic, so can send anyone a discount code if you buy their stuff).

Fruited sours seem to work best, not just the Bellwoods stuff, but Bazaar, BSA, La Barberie, Untitled Art...

I do like Guinness 0.0 but find stouts are the most lacking in the NA realm. Gruvi Nitro Mocha Stout is ok. I think maybe the Vandestreek Hard Pour Coffee Nitro Stout is my favourite NA stout.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:42 pm
I'm guessing you have an American postal box, or a mule?
US package forwarding.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

El Pinguino wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:33 pm Sorry for the multiple messages...forget how these message boards work, lol.

On the NOLO fest, I thought Jazz Dance was mediocre. It was tasty, but had that lemony taste that a LOT of non-alcoholic IPAs have and starts to feel generic over time. I've tried probably about 300 NA beers, and have another 50 or so here to go through in the coming months, and that is one thing I notice in a lot of the IPAs, is a zippy/zesty/lemony taste that dominates.

Some of the NA IPAs I've liked are Harmon's Jack Pine, One for the Road Got Hops, Woodland Farms West Coast IPA, Nogne Himla Humla, Drop Bear Tropical (pretty much all their NA stuff is good), Vandestreek Grapefruit IPA, Athletic Run Wild (I'm an Ambassador for Athletic, so can send anyone a discount code if you buy their stuff).

Fruited sours seem to work best, not just the Bellwoods stuff, but Bazaar, BSA, La Barberie, Untitled Art...

I do like Guinness 0.0 but find stouts are the most lacking in the NA realm. Gruvi Nitro Mocha Stout is ok. I think maybe the Vandestreek Hard Pour Coffee Nitro Stout is my favourite NA stout.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I’ve noticed IPA is not a style that lends itself well to NA. I’ve found golden ales to work better, such as Athletic Upside Dawn and the Sam Adams Gold Rush. And I agree on fruited sours. I tried Bellwood’s Jelly King raspberry blackberry and thought it was fantastic. Funnily enough, I do not gravitate to either the golden ale or fruited sour styles in conventional beers, but this underscores to me that there is a clear premium on replication of the authentic beer experience (minus the buzz).

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Cheers thanks. I was wondering if maybe US companies were shipping to Canada since technically it's not real alcohol, although package forwarding does sound useful in general.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

El Pinguino wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:33 pm Sorry for the multiple messages...forget how these message boards work, lol.

I'll take a code, please and thanks! Been enjoying the Cerveza, probably one of my more frequently purchased NA beers so far.

For me the taste I seem to often get in NA IPAs is a super floral veering on perfume-y note, like potpourri. At least that's how I perceive it. Reds/ambers have been the most successful for me, probably since they're a generally neutral style but have enough elements to balance some of the quirks in a lot of NA beers.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

seangm wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:42 am

I'll take a code, please and thanks! Been enjoying the Cerveza, probably one of my more frequently purchased NA beers so far.

For me the taste I seem to often get in NA IPAs is a super floral veering on perfume-y note, like potpourri. At least that's how I perceive it. Reds/ambers have been the most successful for me, probably since they're a generally neutral style but have enough elements to balance some of the quirks in a lot of NA beers.
Sent you a DM with link / code Sean.

I get that floral, perfumey vibe from many NA pale ales and enjoy it usually.

The Cerveza Athletica is a good one, and I agree with Dale that the Upside Dawn is solid. I don't tend to drink goldens for normal beers either.

The Italian Pils from Untitled Art is probably the best NA pils I've tried so far, if you can find it.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

El Pinguino wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:07 pm
seangm wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:42 am

Sent you a DM with link / code Sean.

I get that floral, perfumey vibe from many NA pale ales and enjoy it usually.

The Cerveza Athletica is a good one, and I agree with Dale that the Upside Dawn is solid. I don't tend to drink goldens for normal beers either.

The Italian Pils from Untitled Art is probably the best NA pils I've tried so far, if you can find it.
Looks like we can get Untitled Art through Sobr Market here in Toronto, thanks for the recommendation.