Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

BartOwl wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:04 pm I just did a brewery crawl in the east end of Toronto. I started at Eastbound brewery, and I had a glass of their Hefeweizen. Sorry I can't remember the actual name of the beer,. However it was very tasty and well made to style. Highly recommended.

Next we went to Saulter Street Brewery, where I had an About Bloody Time English pale ale. It had a nice caramel flavour with some traditional English hops in the finish. If you like the style, you will probably be satisfied with this brew. Then I had the Krampus barley wine, aged one year in cognac barrels. It was decent, but I prefer my barley wines with more hop flavour.

Finally, we went to Radical Road. I hsd their Duncan's Vixe dunlkeweiss. This was good, but not quite as good as the eastbound hefeweizen.

Avling was closed today. In conclusion, there are some good breweries to try near or on Queen street on the east side of town.

Cheers.
Good to hear! A bit further east, I'm a fan of Black Lab and, of course, Rorschach.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

St. Ambroise Imperial Barrel Aged Porter

Carbonation was low, beer was great.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

A bottle of Barncat’s Flanders Red. One of the unlabelled last minute releases in their final days. I ended up buying a case, as the price was a steal, and I’m glad I did. Nice cherry tartness playing off lots of oak flavour. Will make for a killer Carbonade Flamande. My stash of Barncat is slowly dwindling, but enjoying each one as they go.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

GLB Karmageddon.

*tries to channel Borat voice* - Is niaace!

Well balanced for a big beer. Oddly, the aroma has a hint of grilled meet. Not off putting, just weird.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Burlington Dark Ink Baltic Nitro Porter

I stopped in here quite some time ago now. I have to say I found most of their beers pretty average. I still had this one around and had it tonight, and I will give this one high marks.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:14 pm Burlington Dark Ink Baltic Nitro Porter

I stopped in here quite some time ago now. I have to say I found most of their beers pretty average. I still had this one around and had it tonight, and I will give this one high marks.
Good to hear. Polk did a pretty scathing review on one of their beers so hopefully they are improving.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Driftwood Fat Tug IPA — Can BB May 06 2024 tasting very good and making me wistful for the west coast IPA era.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

beerstodiscover wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:45 pm Driftwood Fat Tug IPA — Can BB May 06 2024 tasting very good and making me wistful for the west coast IPA era.
Is that back in Ontario? Where did you find it?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Picked it up at Queens Quay LCBO in Toronto. It seems to be around the province.
Tapsucker wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:25 pm
beerstodiscover wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:45 pm Driftwood Fat Tug IPA — Can BB May 06 2024 tasting very good and making me wistful for the west coast IPA era.
Is that back in Ontario? Where did you find it?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Just opened an Achel 8 Bruin bought long ago at the LCBO. The date stamp is 06/11/15, not sure if that's bottle or best before, but it's a nice treat. Tasting much better than the Rochefort of similar vintage.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I'm only drinking NA beers for 100 days, lol.
Had Chester from Bazaar recently, an NA Berliner weisse with black currants. It was quite good!
Grabbed the new Swoon stout from Burdock, and picked up Nickel Brooks NA beer to try soon.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Mascot Mondo West Coast Session IPA

4.9%

It was pretty darn good.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I've been drinking a bunch of Fairweather High Grade IPA, which I'm very glad is in my local 'BO.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

El Pinguino wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:37 pm I'm only drinking NA beers for 100 days, lol.
Had Chester from Bazaar recently, an NA Berliner weisse with black currants. It was quite good!
Grabbed the new Swoon stout from Burdock, and picked up Nickel Brooks NA beer to try soon.
Bazaar is pretty great. Gimmicky dessert beers are the future of N/A, in my opinion. Where did you grab it from? (And the Swoon, for that matter?)

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Quite surprise to see Bellwoods Greenbelly TIPA in the LCBO. I don’t tend to get behind tipas as they’re usually too seeet for me. Had a Greenbelly a couple years back though and it’s one of the very few I enjoyed.