Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What to do if you think you have a really bad batch (tainted)?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Andicus
Bar Fly

What to do if you think you have a really bad batch (tainted)?

Post by Andicus »

About 2 months ago, I was having pretty severe digestive issues. I'll leave out the details.

I attributed it to different foods, and started cutting them out of my diet. It would still happen, so I then thought it might be a health issue. At this point, I stopped drinking beer, altogether, and was eating very select foods. Things seemed to have improved, and I had a beer with a slightly risky dinner (dry rub chicken thighs with some Frank's hot sauce). Digestive issues were back. Kind of stupid of me to reintroduce 2 things at once, but I suspected the beer, again. I've partly confirmed that by having the chicken again, without issue. Have not tried the beer again, however I have had a completely different beer, without issue.

I'd add that I've been drinking this beer steadily for over 20 years, and never had a problem. I did actually think the flavour was a bit different with this batch, but attributed it to having been sick a few weeks earlier, and thought it had affected my taste.

My question is, how do you go about approaching a brewer to have things checked out? I have 4 or 5 cans, left, from the suspect batch. It's a medium sized brewery, owned by a much larger brewery. I don't particularly want to give specifics, as I'd hate to name/blame them without being certain that it's the cause, though it seems very likely.

Any suggestions?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Have you tried the same beer from a different batch?

I'd start by having one from a different batch and seeing what happens.
- If nothing, try one from the suspected batch and see. If the suspected batch does something after the new batch does nothing, talk to the brewery.
- If something happens from the new batch, it's probably the beer itself and not the batch. Maybe an ingredient change, maybe an overall brewery issue. I'd still let them know as well.

If you're the only person who says something, they'll probably just shrug and do nothing. But maybe other people have said something as well, and adding another voice may make the brewery in question look into it.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

I have considered that. The only problem is, it's not a common beer, near me, so if I buy more, I will be surprised if it's not the same batch. I am easily the biggest consumer of this particular beer, in my area. Having said that, I do see it as available at a different beer store than my local. I guess I could pick up a can, there, and hope it's a different batch. I'm not sure how their codes are deciphered.

I'll admit that I'm very hesitant to try it, especially the batch I have, due to its effect.

I appreciate the suggestions.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I don't think there is anything wrong with getting in touch with the brewery, explaining what you've told us, and expressing your concern. If you use good EQ and aren't being unjustly accusatory, they should appreciate hearing from you. The last thing they would want is for some bad beer to be out there and they don't know.

As Matt said, if there are others that have said something similar, adding your voice will help.

Consider a situation where you got sick and suspected food poisoning from a restaurant you had been at the day before. They would probably appreciate hearing about it. At least I hope they would.