Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

St. John's, Newfoundland

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

St. John's, Newfoundland

Post by Cass »

I tried to do a search and came across random ancient threads, so I thought I'd make an executive decision to create a new one :)

I'm heading to St. John's NFLD for the first time in my life this weekend with a bunch of guys who were/are participants or lurkers on the forum.

Any particularly noteworthy recommendations that we should check out? Very excited to finally be heading out to the Rock.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

My mom and sister went to Nfld last summer and brought back a couple beers. It was probably already on the radar, but the stuff from Quidi Vidi was solid. They make the gimmicky Iceberg beer, but they've got a lot more than that. Also the location looks absolutely stunning.

Tried one from Dildo Brewing as well. It was ok, but I figure it might be worth it for the lols. Also like pretty much everywhere in Newfoundland, the surrounding scenery is gorgeous.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Sent you an email with notes from my 2019 trip. Let me know if you didn't get it. Landwash was great. We drank a decent amount of Quidi Vidi Day Boil while we were in Newfoundland.
Craft beer prices at the liquor store in NFLD (and the maritimes in general) skewed higher in my experience. Decent selection of NB and NS out of province beers at the liquor store when i was there but check freshness days on the out of province stuff.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

JerCraigs wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:11 pm Sent you an email with notes from my 2019 trip. Let me know if you didn't get it. Landwash was great. We drank a decent amount of Quidi Vidi Day Boil while we were in Newfoundland.
Craft beer prices at the liquor store in NFLD (and the maritimes in general) skewed higher in my experience. Decent selection of NB and NS out of province beers at the liquor store when i was there but check freshness days on the out of province stuff.
Thanks a ton for that @JerCraigs! Very helpful information. We were chatting about if Landwash would be work the small trek and I think it is for sure.

Will report back any findings!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Landwash is the original Folly Brewery owners/brewers.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:25 pm Landwash is the original Folly Brewery owners/brewers.
Yup, thanks. I had pieced that together as I was reading about the beer scene. I remember they had moved out there but couldn't remember the name or where they were. Looks like a short cab ride from downtown so it's definitely on the list.

Chris was a BarTowel participant back in the day, perhaps I can convince him to come back and visit :)

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Well St. John's was just awesome. Such a fun town w/ lots of bars & nightlife and incredible cliff & ocean views (and whales!) that are all "right there". Everyone was friendly and wanted to know who we were and what we were up to in town. Lots of bartenders shared locals recommendations which helped us find some new spots to visit.

Some quick highlights:

Bannerman: the best beer locally, IMO. Really interesting beer lineup (porter with blueberries, DIPA with raspberries) and an airy space (it was old firehall). Very hipster-y (not in a bad way) and a popular locals spot day and night (it’s a coffee shop in the morning) so a nice place to settle in .

Brewdock: a taproom right across the street from Bannerman. About 20 taps featuring the local micros (Quidi Vidi, Port Rexton, Banished, Iron Rock, etc.) Nice spot to pair with Bannerman.

Toslow: Really cool spot that’s a blend of cafe, bar and funky, casual hangout. Super friendly staff with a few beers on tap plus house cider Mauzy. Great sandwiches during the day and a Cajun menu at night thanks to their chef who’s from Louisiana. Top notch vibe and we went multiple times. Just a couple of doors down from Bannerman.

Yellow Belly: old school brewpub right on the edge of George St. We sat in the basement “Underbelly” which was a cozy, rough-rock walled space.

Many of the other bars in St. John’s usually feature some kind of local option like QV Day Boil or Iceberg. There’s also the macro brands that are exclusive to NFLD (India Beer, Black Horse, etc.)

Of the downtown places, the standouts were The Ship and Erin’s, which were off George St. and seemed to have a bit more a locals vibe. Live music at both locations regularly.

Other spots we visited - O’Reilly’s (a bit more of a normal pub vibe on the George strip), Celtic Hearth (nothing to write home about, but stays open 24hs a day for food), Blue on Water (decent place in the lobby of a boutique hotel) & Duke of Duckworth (cozy British style pub known for fish & chips).

And then there’s Quidi Vidi Brewing, which is one of the most uniquely scenic breweries I’ve been to. Right on the water in the Quidi Vidi harbour facing the cliffs. There’s an upper and lower patios on the water which I highly recommend if the weather is nice. An awesome spot. It's about a 10 min drive or 30ish minute walk from the northwest part of downtown (where Bannerman is).

While you’re in QV it’s worth checking out Mallard Cottage for some food, which is a really cozy resto in a historic building. Evidently they have gone through some ownership issues and were closed for a little bit, but opened up again and the staff said they did a “reset”. Regardless, the food was excellent and a couple of beers in can & bottle available.

Unfortunately we didn’t make it to Landwash, our group was 7 guys and it was kind of challenging to coordinate cabs and timing.

St. John’s is a great visit and highly recommend it. A fun & unique place that we don’t have to leave our borders for. Worth it big time!

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Some beer pics...
Attachments
IMG_9582.jpeg
IMG_9534.jpeg
IMG_9517.jpeg
IMG_9353.jpeg
IMG_9362.jpeg
IMG_9487.jpeg
IMG_9492.jpeg