Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Great Divide private order interest?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

flip

Post by flip »

Awesome work, inertiaboy!

I'd be interested in a case of the Hercules and Oak Aged Yeti.

If you need help with the aggregate orders, let me know. I'm not too far from Downtown either, so I should be able to help with distribution if anyone's on the west side of Toronto.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I'll likely be in for a case of the Oaked Yeti, and maybe a Hercules, price dependent.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Blankboy wrote:Hence the username with no contact info. :)
You might want to check your YIM link on your posts - I think your name is there :lol:

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

1 case of Hercules for me...
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com

Beer Geek

Post by Beer Geek »

inertiaboy wrote:We definitely don't need to commit until we see the pricing. The LCBO will provide a quote before we need to order. No ETA on when we can get that. I expect it will be quicker that I thought before because the LCBO has ordered with Great Divide before.
Great Work! Will you be receiving prices for all their available beers? I’m definitely interested in a case of something!

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

Don't mean to put a damper on things but--working through the LCBO is one thing, but you'll have to convince the agent for Great Divide to do this as well. That is, the LCBO will contact the agent with the information, and it will be the agent's decision whether or not to go forward with the order. The agent may decide to go ahead with the order, but it will be on his/her terms--added onto a pending order, money up front--and you can almost forget the five cases, they'll go to licensees first.

Also, one person here will have to co-ordinate the purchase--and I believe that has already been done--but that person will have to pay the entire cost before any of the beer is released. That is, you won't be able to just pick up your case.

My advice is to start speaking directly with the agent, and stop wasting your time with the LCBO.

Steve-E

Post by Steve-E »

I'm in for 1 case of Hercules please.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

Joey, as far as I know, Great Divide does not have an agent. Ralph at Volo had to coordinate this himself when he originally brought it in last year. And the whole one person paying up front thing is actually what we were geting at earlier, and what the LCBO seemed to be discouraging.

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

tupalev wrote:Joey, as far as I know, Great Divide does not have an agent. Ralph at Volo had to coordinate this himself when he originally brought it in last year. And the whole one person paying up front thing is actually what we were geting at earlier, and what the LCBO seemed to be discouraging.
As far as I'm aware, there would have to be an agent in there somewhere. Perhaps Ralph did all the work, but someone else would have to act as the agent--and presumedly make some money--bar owners in Ontario are prohibited from being agents.

However, if the LCBO is willing to co-ordinated this . . . god bless em.

Good Luck.

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I believe in this case, and I am really just talking out of my ass here as I am not privy to all the LCBO details, the LCBO acted as the agent (Great Divide basically would have preferred Ralph just be the agent, but as you mentioned that was restricted).

And again I'll reiterate that if we need someone to place this order upfront paid, I'll happy to do it, but then I'll also show up to everyone's house with hired goons to collect pronto...

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I'm also in for a case of non oaked Hibernation and a case of Hercules.
Last edited by Jon Walker on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

tupalev wrote:And again I'll reiterate that if we need someone to place this order upfront paid, I'll happy to do it, but then I'll also show up to everyone's house with hired goons to collect pronto...
I've seen his goons, they are quite scary. :o
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

If I had to estimate a cost, based on what the bottles go for at Premier and what they go for at Volo, I'd say were looking at approx. $12 a bottle. So around $144.00 a case.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Blankboy wrote:
tupalev wrote:And again I'll reiterate that if we need someone to place this order upfront paid, I'll happy to do it, but then I'll also show up to everyone's house with hired goons to collect pronto...
I've seen his goons, they are quite scary. :o
Seen them...he sent me a picture of them

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Just to clarify a few questions that have come up:

1) When I talked to the LCBO, they were aware of Great Divide but did not mention an agent. They directed me to talk with Brian at Great Divide about minimum, which leads me to believe that there isn't an agent to talk to.

2) Once I hear back from Great Divide, I will ask the LCBO for quotes on whatever is available. It looks like there are about 8 or 9 products right now.

3) Once we have quotes, I'll arrange a cutoff date with the LCBO for orders. Everyone will need to place their own orders directly with the LCBO by that date and pay their appropriate deposits separately.

4) For products other than Hercules and Oak Yeti, we'll need to make sure that we don't order more than 5 cases so that we don't get hit with the lab fee. I'm sure this will be a headache to arrange, but we'll figure it out somehow.

For what it's worth, Sylvia at the LCBO was very helpful in providing information and answering any questions I had. I was on the phone for about 8 minutes in total and got all the answers I needed.