Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Taste T.O.

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Taste T.O.

Post by GregClow »

We're a few days away from the official launch, but I wanted to give BarTowellers an advance look at a new project that my wife and I have been working on for the past few weeks...

Taste T.O. is a new website & group-blog dedicated to covering Toronto's food & drink scene. It will feature restaurant reviews, shop & product profiles, local food/industry news, round-ups of food news & reviews in the local press, and lots more.

BT folks will probably be particularly interested in my Beer Of The Week feature, which will be posted every Tuesday. We've been running the site in low-key "beta" mode since late January, so there are three posted so far, as well as an article previewing several upcoming beer events.

Visit it, bookmark it, RSS it - and click on some Google ads so we can keep the damn thing running without going broke! :wink:

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Nice-looking blog! I understand you'll have a feed just for the beer postings soon?

Not that I'm not interested in the rest of the blog, it's just that my idea of a complete meal is a thing of fried meat and two Tankhouses.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

shintriad wrote:Nice-looking blog! I understand you'll have a feed just for the beer postings soon?
It's already available at http://www.tasteto.com/category/beverages/beer/rss2 or http://www.tasteto.com/category/beverages/beer/atom - just stick '/rss2' or '/atom' at the end of any category address on the site, and you'll get a feed for posts in that category. I just haven't had the time to set up a page with all the links yet.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Very nice Greg. I like the write up on the Rhino. When I lived near there in the early 90's it was one of my favourites along with Squirrelly's down the road near Bathurst.

Your comments on the service and food sadden me. I used to be amazed at how well we were taken care of at the Rhino while they tried to run a business in a neighbourhood that didn't have the means to spend much in those days.
I remember one night after a long very bitter cold spell, my wife and I went there to find the place packed to the rafters. After almost 45 minutes the waitress apologized profusely for the delay in our meal because of the unexpected crowds. At the end of the meal, she insited on not charging us for the many beers we had while waiting. I got into a big argument with the bartender that night as I insisted on paying. I figured after several weeks of down business they needed all the support they could get. I still lost the argument, so the waitress got a nice tip!
I hope they get back on track beacause, as you say, it really felt like home.