Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Guinness "Beers Of Ireland" Pack at LCBO

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gedge
Bar Fly

Guinness "Beers Of Ireland" Pack at LCBO

Post by Gedge »

Saw this the other day. What a waste of space. I believe it is two cans of Guinness, two cans of Kilkenny and four cans of Harp. All in an attractive cardboard box! With a handle!

I'm so glad we can finally get these elusive UK beers in Ontario!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

It's so sad that the fine art and culture of Irish brewing has been so massively misrepresented by Guinness internationally. So much good beer, so little availability out here :(

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I actually don't think there is much good beer left in Ireland anymore. Guinness has sucked the life out of the market to such a degree that there are very few micros or brewpubs remaining. There's Carlow Brewing (who sent us the O'Hara's stout recently), the Porterhouse brewpub in Dublin, Hilden and Whitewater in Northern Ireland, but not too much else that I'm aware of. Do others have any recommendations?

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Macro's do that sort of thing... it's sad, but there's still a few:
http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/directory/6/IE

aeroeng

Post by aeroeng »

Now why couldn't they bring in the Carlow 3pack (ie O'hara's Stout, Curim Wheat, Molings Red). I got me one of those when I departed from Dublin last summer. They already had O'hara's here.

Other then that, I didn't find that many micros while in Ireland. I visited a few stores and the only other one of interest I found was Finians Irish Red

flip

Post by flip »

I was in Ireland a couple of years ago. We didn't get a chance to stop at Carlow Brewing but I can certainly vouch for The Porterhouse. We stopped in there in our first day in Dublin and ended up returning two more times before we went home.

I did think that Guinness and Harp did taste better in Ireland, but the Porterhouse had what was hands down and without question the best beer I had during my stay.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Even the Ales Of England pack they used to bring in years ago had a few things you couldn't get otherwise (Boddington's Gold, Marston's and Flowers).