Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Good Beer Bars in Chicago area?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

crawler

Good Beer Bars in Chicago area?

Post by crawler »

Short notice I know, but I have a full day in downtown Chicago tomorrow, and then an evening in the western suburbs (Lisle/Naperville/Aurora IL) on Thursday. Any good suggestions for beer bars that anyone on here knows about?

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Try America's Brewpub in Aurora. I have had a number of good beers there back about 6 or 7 years ago. Don't know its present status. In an old roundhouse, formerly owned by Walter Payton. Has a cigar room as well.

hops are your friend

Post by hops are your friend »

I haven't been to Chicago in many years, but last time I was there we went to Clark Street Ale House (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2954/) and the Goose Island brewpub (http://www.gooseisland.com/). I think many people like the Map Room (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2808) but I've never been there.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Map Room was great. Piece is a nice brewpub which I believe isn't far from the Map Room. Hop Leaf was also excellent, but it's a bit away from downtown, but a nice area if you make it up there. Clark St. Ale house is fun, but doesn't open until the later afternoon. If you're there for a late lunch and like Mexican hit the Frontera Grill.

aeroeng

Post by aeroeng »

Could pay a visit to Goose Island Brewery

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

You'se guys pretty much covered it. Clark St. or Map Room (which is kind of harder to get to), and maybe grab some deep-dish 'za to chase that beer down. Bring us back some Three Floyds!

kinguy

Post by kinguy »

Rob Creighton wrote:Try America's Brewpub in Aurora. I have had a number of good beers there back about 6 or 7 years ago. Don't know its present status. In an old roundhouse, formerly owned by Walter Payton. Has a cigar room as well.
We were there last year and quite enjoyed both the selection of beers and food. The most interesting beer was a chocolate beer that looked like a lager instead of a dark. As I recall, Aurora is a bit of a way from downtown Chicago, though.

SILENUS

Post by SILENUS »

Map Room, Hop Leef and Goose Island are my recommendations. If you also enjoy fine cigars, check out the Up Down Cigar shop on N. Wells in the Old Town. If you wnat to purchase beer at a store the downtown (Lincoln Park) Binny's has a great selection of US micros and Belgians.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Its easy to spot Clark's. It has a huge sign in front that says "Stop and Drink".
"Every day above ground is a good one."

crawler

Post by crawler »

Thanks for all the tips. Unfortunately, I only ended up having the time to go to one brewpub, which was the Rock Bottom at State and Grand. Food was great there, and I had two pints - the first was their "Erik The Red Ale" which was good and flavourful, slightly hoppy; the second was a seasonal porter that they just released - was okay, but I didn't really find it all that smooth compared to some other porters I've drank recently. There is apparently a really good IPA that they make, according to the person who was sitting beside me at the bar, but they just rotated it out of their draft list a couple weeks earlier.

Also had some Goose Island 312 Wheat Beer at another place, was definitely refreshing for what was a fairly hot and sunny Fourth of July.

clasher

Post by clasher »

Thanks for the heads-up about Three Floyds. I've got some Alpha King and one bottle of Dreadnought... if anyone is interested in some alpha king, I could be persuaded to do a trade for one or two...

I also stopped at a place out in the suburbs, Prairie Rock in Elgin, only had a chance to try the Vanilla Cream Ale, but it was definitely very good for what it is, almost like a cream soda shandy, nice on a scorcher of a day.

Anyway, I snuck a boatload of beer back over the border, so I'm a happy camper for now, bless Canadian customs :)