Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn Ales 2007 release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

emjay

Post by emjay »

Andicus wrote:Has the LCBO carried Twisted Thistle IPA before?

I found one in my cellar, hidden amongst empties (love it when that happens!), but I can't remember if I got it here or at BOTW.

BTW, nice job on the lists, Greg. The ratebeer links must be tedious, but are appreciated!
Yeah it has, and it was very good. I look forward to replenishing my stocks :)

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

But it's not an ESB or a Premium Bitter. It's a good honest plain Pale Ale of the English variety. So, it's never going to be 'hoppy'. It'll be bitter as a plain Pale Ale should be.

And I wouldn't trust what the majority of Rateberians write about if my life depended on it. I would rather believe what the Sam Smith's website says and my palate.

Anyway, just enjoy it as it's a pretty decent beer, thought he St Peter's is better.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sure. I guess there's no point comparing English varieties to ours and I don't have much exposure to the Brit stuff so there ya go. Matter of fact the limited exposure to real ESB here doesn't help either.

Twisted Thistle IPA for example is to me in a sense "brilliantly hoppy", but is it AS hoppy as Titan IPA, I don't think so. In fact I find it no hoppier that Black Oak Pale if I believe my taste buds - that said I like Thistle very much just for what it is.
In Beerum Veritas

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Speaking of ESB, I was enjoying a few pints of Fullers ESB last night - great stuff.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Just looking over that wonderful release list again and I'm surprised that the whole Harviestoun portfolio isn't coming over as I'm sure the Schiehallion would go down well over here, a wonderful cask lager which doesn't taste like a lager. Is it to late to get this added to the list?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Looking forward to the Aventinus Eisbock and the new release of Okocim baltic porter...I will be putting cases of both into the cellar for the long dry spell that ensues afterward.
Last edited by pootz on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aventinus rules!

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

pootz wrote:Liikomg forward to the Aventinus Eisbock and the new release of Okocim baltic porter...I will be putting cases of both into the cellar for the long dry spell that ensues afterward.
alas, i've been told that the okocim porter is no longer part of the release. will try to find out if it's been pushed back, or cancelled altogether. i was really looking forward to it as well.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

tuqueboy wrote:alas, i've been told that the okocim porter is no longer part of the release. will try to find out if it's been pushed back, or cancelled altogethe.
Really shocking news - NOT.

It's really incompetent that the LCBO can botch these releases so badly.

After all, the LC is so strict with brewers and importers about labelling and paperwork deadlines, then a few months later they screw everything up themselves. Hypocritical.
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

tuqueboy wrote:
alas, i've been told that the okocim porter is no longer part of the release. will try to find out if it's been pushed back, or cancelled altogether. i was really looking forward to it as well.
Disappointing but not surprising...Okocim never schedules Porter releases, they just happen when they have a production lull that allows a couple of fermenters to be tied up for 120 days maturing the porter....I suspect Okocim
probably changed the ETA on the LCBO.
Aventinus rules!

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Belgian wrote: Really shocking news - NOT.

It's really incompetent that the LCBO can botch these releases so badly.

After all, the LC is so strict with brewers and importers about labelling and paperwork deadlines, then a few months later they screw everything up themselves. Hypocritical.
can't always blame the lcbo. the goudenband, for example wasn't their fault at all. as pootz points out, this one might not be either. i'll try and find out.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I still think the LCBO are on the hook because they assume so much control they have to answer for. Can't have it both ways. They shoud replace the dropped brands not just say 'oh well.'
In Beerum Veritas

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

I'm warning you all now that I'll be buying the Fuller's and Scotch Irish beers from both releases in VOLUME. Don't get pissed off with me, I'm happy to trade overstock.
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

StevenThrasher

Post by StevenThrasher »

Jon Walker wrote:I'm warning you all now that I'll be buying the Fuller's and Scotch Irish beers from both releases in VOLUME. Don't get pissed off with me, I'm happy to trade overstock.
I did this with the Westmalle Dubbel last year. Looked on the LCBO web site and I figured the places with the most stock wouldn't miss it. I tried not to buy out any place.

Nothing in this release tempts me to buy in volume this year.

aeroeng

Post by aeroeng »

Noticed the other day that Faxe Red has hit the shelves at the LCBO. Don't recall seeing this one before

MattB

Post by MattB »

I "sampled" several of the Deuchars IPA this past weekend. Terrific beer ... good malt and a great hoppy finish. It's one of my favourites on cask when in London. Highly recommended.

The only piss off is that it's a seasonal offering, and in limited quantities. I hate it when these monopoly jerks bring in a good product for one time only. When it's gone, you're out of luck.

Bring on privatization, and do it quickly!