Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Oktoberfest at the Castle

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Oktoberfest at the Castle

Post by pootz »

Just got word of what Herold will have 0n tap the first 2 weeks of October:

Paulaner Dunkel Weisse
Hacker Pschorr Octoberfest
Warsteiner Dunkel
Denisons Hefe Weisse
Mill Street Oktoberfest
Stratford Brewing Oktoberfest

as well Perry will be running up a special kellerbier lager in cask just for the Castle's Oktoberfest.

Add to this fresh home made Oktoberfest sausage and schnitzels and we're ready to "fest" here in K-W...thanks to the Castle/Herold K-W is no longer an authentic Oktoberfest craft beer desert.

If you're in the K-W area join me for a brew...I think I'll be chained to a Castle bar stool until that Maerzen is all gone. 8)

BTW: word is Rob at Grand River will be whipping up a special "big" house brew for the Castle in the near future.
Aventinus rules!

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

I sampled the Mill Street Oktoberfest and reallly enjoyed it.

Don't know much about the style though. Would any say it's close to proper?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

jaymack wrote:I sampled the Mill Street Oktoberfest and reallly enjoyed it.

Don't know much about the style though. Would any say it's close to proper?
Talked to Joe t the brewery and he said this year's Oktoberfest beer is a bit of a departure from the Maerzen style with hops accenting over the malts...kind of a reversal of the maerzen style which is malt forward and hops paired back....but the results are quite drinkable. 8)
Aventinus rules!

Steak Andersson

Post by Steak Andersson »

Just wanted to verify that the Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest is there now - I'm thinking of making the trek to the Castle on Friday afternoon.

Is it being dispensed from the keg, as opposed to gravity? (I suppose gravity would be too good to be true.)

Thanks for any info.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Steak Andersson wrote:Just wanted to verify that the Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest is there now - I'm thinking of making the trek to the Castle on Friday afternoon.

Is it being dispensed from the keg, as opposed to gravity? (I suppose gravity would be too good to be true.)

Thanks for any info.
All the German beers are on forced tap...Perry is supposed to deliver a German Kellerbier on cask later this month.

I was there yesterday and they had the Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest Lager and the paulaner dunkelweisen...the Mill Street Oktoberfest goes on today and the Stratford stuff next week some time. They also have Grand River's Punpkin ale on now
Aventinus rules!

Zithal

Post by Zithal »

The Pumpkin Ale was a wonderful surprise. The only other time I've had it, aside from some of some yummy Biergotter homebrew batches, was at Pepperwood's in Burlington and it was exceedingly watery there.

Grand River did a great job with it and I hope it doesn't run out too soon.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

I just want to thank you, Pootz, for the tip about the Castle. I went last week and sampled from the Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest, Mill Race Mild, Fuller's London Pride, and Warsteiner Dunkel.

Next time I go it'll be an all-weiss exerience.

The schnitzel was first-rate too.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Mississauga Matt wrote:I just want to thank you, Pootz, for the tip about the Castle. I went last week and sampled from the Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest, Mill Race Mild, Fuller's London Pride, and Warsteiner Dunkel.

Next time I go it'll be an all-weiss exerience.

The schnitzel was first-rate too.
Glad to oblige...We'll make a Feinschmecker of you yet :wink:
Aventinus rules!

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Zithal wrote:The Pumpkin Ale was a wonderful surprise. The only other time I've had it, aside from some of some yummy Biergotter homebrew batches, was at Pepperwood's in Burlington and it was exceedingly watery there.

Grand River did a great job with it and I hope it doesn't run out too soon.
I think so too.....my favorite Grand River ale...I can drink growlers of this.
Aventinus rules!

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

I thought the Highballer was good, but better when mixed half and half with Mill Race Mild.

Trafikker

Post by Trafikker »

Where is the Castle? never heard of it.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Aventinus rules!

Trafikker

Post by Trafikker »

Ah, Kitchener, that's why I haven't heard of it. Have to go for a road trip someday.

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Trafikker wrote:Ah, Kitchener, that's why I haven't heard of it. Have to go for a road trip someday.
Ya I Know it's hard to think of this craft beer desert of K-W as having a viable oasis but we do now and it's a good 'un and getting better all the time. :wink:
Aventinus rules!

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

Ah yes... Good ol Kitchener. Was staying at the Delta downtown around this time two years ago (during Oktoberfest - though I was in town for work).

Got my car window smashed overnight.

The bastards mercifully left my new sunglasses, CDs and phone headset. They took a wrapped gift (a hockey helmet) that they deemed unworthy as I found it unwrapped on my way out of the parking lot.

In the end, all that appeared to be missing was a small gift (a towel/blanket) for my newborn niece! (And my missing window, of course...)

I love Kitchener! :-?