Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Warmers 2007 release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Schneider eisbock stock levels were just updated....I have a shot at some....will be buying a case 8)
Aventinus rules!

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

If the Mill Street can live up to the Asam, then I will be very impressed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hamilton Brian wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Has anyone tried the Mill Street barley wine yet?

Tried it last night; I felt it was very malty with little note of hops...it really reminded me of a doppelbock in flavour, say the Asam that we got a couple of years ago.
Wow. A barley wine (ale) that tastes like a doppel bock (lager.)

To be fair really fresh unpasteurized draught Paulaner Salvator did make me think of a good Dubbel or some Belgian ale like that. When you've got full-out malt expression going on then the yeast character doesn't always seem to define the whole thing. Personally I think Doppels can be underrated, amazing beers.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Salvator is the original Doppelbock (liquid bread that the monks brewed for lent). Since the style evolved from the dubbel, it's not surprising that it's similar. It definitely bridges the two styles like a 'missing link'. I've had it fresh as well (vom fass) and thought the alcohol was a little too warming.

I really like dubbels and I love doppels, but the Salvator is kind of average. Maybe it's simply because I've had quite a few (as it's readily available at the LCBO), or maybe it's because it's made in a macro beer factory... I dunno.

But back on topic... I'm looking forward to some of these warmers. I've only had the eisbock once (in the Aventinus room at the Schneider house in Munich), but thought it was incredible! :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:
I really like dubbels and I love doppels, but the Salvator is kind of average.
I agree in bottles it's kinda plain jane - however on draught in Germany, Salvator IMO was awfully good - alcohol noticeable yes but so aromatic - I nearly liked it better than Kloster Andechs (which I also had in München.)

It makes sense the origin of the Doppelbock style is the adapting to a Lager yeast of the Belgian abbey Dubbel - the word "Doppel" even means the same thing [ = "double".]

As far as "Macro beer factory" that's only relative - and in Germany many larger beer-makers prove "big" need not be "crappy". Look at Schneider as an obvious example - Aventinus is a world-class beer and a Top Ten beer of many experienced beer raters.

Fact is "Macro Scale" only diminishes quality when they decide to let it go, and only to the extent the market will bear. You could say Lion Stout and London Porter are just macros as well - but there would be nothing to gain in making them badly.
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Raphael wrote:If the Mill Street can live up to the Asam, then I will be very impressed.
Asam Koster Bock and MS Barley wine compared? :o

apples and oranges buddy...but Asam is a damn fine "apple" and The Mill Steert BW a very good "orange". :wink:

Put 12 Mill Steet in the cellar...probably drink or trade half that by spring melt...this years MSBW is darker and more mellow off the start than previous years and I concur with another poster who likened it to an olde ale rather than a barley wine....damn strong olde ale which hide its booze well.
Aventinus rules!

ctalbot

Post by ctalbot »

Despite being a bit concerned about the price, I ended up grabbing two bottles of the Mill Street Barleywine over the weekend. I have opened either bottle yet. I feel like I need a special occasion to crack it -- or at least others interested in sampling. ;)

Chris

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Just returned from the Royal York and Bloor LCBO. They have in the Riggweltter, St. Ambroise Vintage, Royal Oak, Aventinus Eisbock, Winter Welcome, Innis and Gunn, and the Mill Street Barley Wine.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

None showing up in Richmond Hill yet, save the Trafalgar
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Bobsy wrote:Just returned from the Royal York and Bloor LCBO. They have in the Riggweltter, St. Ambroise Vintage, Royal Oak, Aventinus Eisbock, Winter Welcome, Innis and Gunn, and the Mill Street Barley Wine.
Went there tonight. Bought one of each. Lots on the shelf except the St. Ambroise - bought the last one. Affraid of the Aventinus - 500ml and 12% :o

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

LCBO internal search lists the SA Vintage Ale at 4.8 % ABV? WTF?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

lagerale wrote:Affraid of the Aventinus - 500ml and 12% :o
So they're actually selling the Aventinus Eisbock in 500 ml bottles? Wow. Anytime I've seen it south of the border, it's been in smaller bottles - 330 ml, I think - so I figured the 500 ml in the LCBO's original announcement was a typo.

This makes the $3.95 price-tag even more insanely cheap!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

lagerale wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Just returned from the Royal York and Bloor LCBO. They have in the Riggweltter, St. Ambroise Vintage, Royal Oak, Aventinus Eisbock, Winter Welcome, Innis and Gunn, and the Mill Street Barley Wine.
Went there tonight. Bought one of each. Lots on the shelf except the St. Ambroise - bought the last one. Affraid of the Aventinus - 500ml and 12% :o
I left that last one one the shelf - I felt bad grabbing them all, and I only took two!

I took my haul home last night and enjoyed the eisbock and the royal oak. On the nose the eisbock reminded me a little of trois pistoles, and some of the other high alcohol unibroue beers. The flavour was very intense and fruity, with a huge warming finish. The alcohol seems well-integrated into the drink, but nonetheless hits pretty early. I'm intrigued about the aging potential of this beer - has anyone tried an aged bottle?

The royal oak obviously had a very different character, and reminded me of some of the better bitters I had before I moved here. The flavour is very crisp with hints of citrus and pine, and the level of bitterness surprised me. I don't know its IBU, but to me it didn't seem that much less bitter than something like the Grains of Wrath DIPA. You could easily make this a session beer, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of hops in their drink.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

GregClow wrote: ...This makes the $3.95 price-tag even more insanely cheap!
They really should rename it Aventinus "Eiswine" and/or perhaps classify it as wheat wine....in the same vein as another thread referring some strong Belgian ales as Belgian Barley wines.

Bobsy, you must have had a good night if you drank both a bottle of the Eisbock and the Royal Oak. I tried out the Riggweltter and was pleasantly surprised by this strong ale - though only 5.9%.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

The Royal Oak is just a great typical English bitter, and it's bottle conditioned, which is a bonus too. The first tasting of the Plowman's Ale from Grand River reminded me of Royal Oak, but ever since the taste profile has changed a bit in the Plowmans. The origianl bitterness seems to have subsided. Anyway, I'm going off topic. What are the chances of Royal Oak becoming a general release and dropping Charles Well's Bitter or the rather plain Old Speckled Hen in it's place?