Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

zeitgeist

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Fuggles

zeitgeist

Post by Fuggles »

so not to alter things in the "random talk" forum by talking about something not related to beer but.....

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/ This is a must watch movie. Regardless of what you believe.
Ummmm beer is good?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

This is a fantastic flick IMO.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

From the Wikipedia listing for the movie:
Criticism
In addition to attracting significant public interest,[5] it has been criticized for relying too heavily on anecdotal evidence[6] and for using unidentified, undated, and unsourced video news clips, voice-overs, quotes, and book citations without page numbers.[7][8]

In one of its few mainstream reviews the Irish Times called it "unhinged" and accused it of offering nothing but "surreal perversions of genuine issues and debates".[5]
Sounds like a winner. :roll:

Fuggles

Post by Fuggles »

Ironic.

One of the main points they bring up is how we all let media(like Wikipedia) make our opinions for us.

How many documentaries can you name that come with a bibliography?

Zeitgeist is basically the polar opposite of fox news. Both are propoganda but both are based of facts.

The only difference is one is meant to close your eyes and the other is meant to open them.
Ummmm beer is good?

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Fuggles wrote:Ironic.

One of the main points they bring up is how we all let media(like Wikipedia) make our opinions for us.
Umkay. Scientific proof of something there.

I obviously have different beliefs than you, but that is far from my list of things I would refer to as "must watch". More to the point, I fail to see how the movie has any relevance to this forum.

Feel free to point out how the movie predicts that I would say something to that effect.

Fuggles

Post by Fuggles »

" Random Talk
Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here."

but im not going to get into a silly internet arguement here so I will leave it at that.
Ummmm beer is good?

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Fuggles wrote:" Random Talk
Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here."

but im not going to get into a silly internet arguement here so I will leave it at that.
Okay, let me put it a different way so I'm not trying to argue, but rather point out why I have a problem with the post. If I had posted a link to Indoctrinate U and said this is a must watch movie (which I don't believe by the way) regardless what you believe, what would your reaction have been?

Fuggles

Post by Fuggles »

Well from watching the trailer I would have agreed with you I now plan on watching it.

Maybe I should have posted

I enjoyed zeitgeist and recommend it to others.

Forgive my ignorance but I still dont understand your problem with my post?

I was simply trying to share an interest with a community I am a part of. I realise this is a site for discussing beer, hence my choice to post it in the random section. If the mods feel it should not be here please remove it.
Ummmm beer is good?

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Fuggles wrote:Well from watching the trailer I would have agreed with you I now plan on watching it.

Maybe I should have posted

I enjoyed zeitgeist and recommend it to others.

Forgive my ignorance but I still dont understand your problem with my post?

I was simply trying to share an interest with a community I am a part of. I realise this is a site for discussing beer, hence my choice to post it in the random section. If the mods feel it should not be here please remove it.
Probably just too much of Ratebeer's off-topic forums. Had you said what you said above, you're likely right, I wouldn't have reacted the same way. But suggesting what for the most part is a film about the giant conspiracy theories of religion, 9-11, and central banks is a must-watch regardless of what you believe, combined with the inference that Zeitgeist presents facts meant to open your eyes while Fox News is meant to close them just screams "I am liberal (note small 'l'), hear me roar". And even if it was my perception and stereotype that caused that, surely you at least see the potential for the opening of a political and philosphical can of worms with a movie like that?

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

antiestablishmentarianism meets cyber space...surprised they didn't link beer drinking to a New World Order conditioned behavior...opiate of the people and all that... :roll:
Aventinus rules!

Fuggles

Post by Fuggles »

Point taken.

My initial post may have been a bit strong.

and I believe the whole point of the movie IS to open a can of worms.
Ummmm beer is good?

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

"Zeitgeist" looks interesting, thanks for sharing.

And "Indoctrinate U" is an excellent film, btw.

KwaiLo

Post by KwaiLo »

Looks like I have 2 movies to watch when I get home from work today, thanks guys.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Wow, a troofer movie. :roll:

Quite why the cabal that runs the world let you spill the beans is beyond me, unless of course they've since terminated you.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

Fuggles

Post by Fuggles »

Manufacturing dissent of course
Ummmm beer is good?