Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Years travel - please help!

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

Would have loved to, and maybe next time.. but the gf only has a few days off (and I don't want to go JUST for beer - we'll have to do boring stuff too, like checking out Alcatraz, sober! :P
Steve Beaumont wrote:For San Francisco accommodations, check out Joie de Vivre hotels. Their properties are all good quality and their website frequently features online-only specials. Is your timing set? Because you might want to factor in Beerapolooza week, which starts with the Double IPA fest at The Bistro in Hayward on Feb. 9 and continues through to the Barleywine Fest at The Toronado beginning on the 16th and running for the week following.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

crushinat0r wrote: Oh - my - god.. ok SOLD, San Francisco it is! Woot! Now to get tickets... and figure out what area of town to stay in.. I hear it's pretty sketchy.
I'll keep an eye out for a fellow Torontonian when we're down there. We're staying at the fairmont on nob hill. I figure a 10 minute walk to all the Rogue beers I can drink. Sweet! From the research I've done for my trip, City Beer sounds like the best bottle shop in San Fran. It also has its on taps, as well as letting you drink any bottle they sell for a $1 corkage fee. When are you flying out? We're there from the 28th-1st.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Bobsy wrote:
I'll keep an eye out for a fellow Torontonian when we're down there. We're staying at the fairmont on nob hill.
the fairmont's a great place in a great spot. have to check out the tiki bar in the basement. fabulously kitschy. oh, and if you're into wine, too, the lobby bar has about 20 single-vineyard california wines by the glass.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

tuqueboy wrote:
Bobsy wrote:
I'll keep an eye out for a fellow Torontonian when we're down there. We're staying at the fairmont on nob hill.
the fairmont's a great place in a great spot. have to check out the tiki bar in the basement. fabulously kitschy. oh, and if you're into wine, too, the lobby bar has about 20 single-vineyard california wines by the glass.
Excellent. The tiki bar was already on the list due to the regular simulated rainstorms. I think the hotel should be pretty good. I could hardly pick anything else when I discovered that Tony Bennett debuted 'I Left My Heart in San Francisco' there! Do you have any recs for bars in the area. I was thinking of Torononado, Rogue, 21st Ammendment, Thirsty Bear and Magnolia. If only the wife wasn't going I wouldn't have to do the other stuff...

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

I'm staying at the Club Quarters and already have City Beer and Rogue Pub on my list of "must visit" places. I already really want to go to the Anchor Brewery which is relatively close by...

Not sure if/when I'll have time to see anything else.. we're only there for 3 days :(

Ah well, at least I can get a feel for where to go for when I come back (for beer) :P Next time, road trip to Bear Republic and a wine tour sounds pretty damn good..

J
Bobsy wrote:
crushinat0r wrote: Oh - my - god.. ok SOLD, San Francisco it is! Woot! Now to get tickets... and figure out what area of town to stay in.. I hear it's pretty sketchy.
I'll keep an eye out for a fellow Torontonian when we're down there. We're staying at the fairmont on nob hill. I figure a 10 minute walk to all the Rogue beers I can drink. Sweet! From the research I've done for my trip, City Beer sounds like the best bottle shop in San Fran. It also has its on taps, as well as letting you drink any bottle they sell for a $1 corkage fee. When are you flying out? We're there from the 28th-1st.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

crushinat0r wrote:I'm staying at the Club Quarters and already have City Beer and Rogue Pub on my list of "must visit" places. I already really want to go to the Anchor Brewery which is relatively close by...

Not sure if/when I'll have time to see anything else.. we're only there for 3 days :(

Ah well, at least I can get a feel for where to go for when I come back (for beer) :P Next time, road trip to Bear Republic and a wine tour sounds pretty damn good..

J
I hope your San Francisco trip was enjoyable. We had an absolute ball and enjoyed fantastic weather for the past couple of days. We hit up the Rogue House, the Thirsty Bear, Beach Chalet, San Francisco Brewing Co, and Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House (which was absolutely schizo, but had great food and cheap bottled gems). We didn't visit a lot of the higher rated beer places such as Toronado because places closer to home were quenching our thirst very well. We also brought back 10 good bottles and a couple of wines from some tastings we did in Napa.

Overall, a nice place, but after being to Washington State earlier this year I think if I'd rather live in Seattle.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

tuqueboy wrote:have to check out the tiki bar in the basement. fabulously kitschy.
That turned out to be the understatement of the year. :wink:

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

The trip was great! The weather, fantastic, especially considering today's -20 temperature, ugh!

We did all the touristy stuff we could.. we had a 4 hour delay on connecting flights the first night we were there so I didn't get to the Rogue Ale House - I had planned to go there the first night, and was deeply disappointed in missing it.

I did, however, get to Toronado and Magnolia.. Both really good, I prefer the Magnolia ambiance, a bit classier, great food, and great beer (and sample sizes - woo! Got to try everything they have on tap!) Toronado was way more grungy, under staffed, no space at the bar to order, no table service, no food.. but at least you could go next door and bring food back.. and their selection was amazing, 30+ on tap.. and you could even buy great bottled beer To Go!

We also hit up Healthy Spirits to pick up some great brew, I ended up taking 18 bottles back with me, most were Wine bottle sized.. some great locals, but mostly belgians.. Even got a bottle that had been aged for 10 years that was pulled out of the back. Really knowledgeable staff.
Bobsy wrote: I hope your San Francisco trip was enjoyable. We had an absolute ball and enjoyed fantastic weather for the past couple of days. We hit up the Rogue House, the Thirsty Bear, Beach Chalet, San Francisco Brewing Co, and Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House (which was absolutely schizo, but had great food and cheap bottled gems). We didn't visit a lot of the higher rated beer places such as Toronado because places closer to home were quenching our thirst very well. We also brought back 10 good bottles and a couple of wines from some tastings we did in Napa.

Overall, a nice place, but after being to Washington State earlier this year I think if I'd rather live in Seattle.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

crushinat0r wrote:We also hit up Healthy Spirits to pick up some great brew, I ended up taking 18 bottles back with me, most were Wine bottle sized.. some great locals, but mostly belgians.. Even got a bottle that had been aged for 10 years that was pulled out of the back. Really knowledgeable staff.
Sounds like you had a great time! 18 bottles! Your case must have weighed a ton! It really shows the buying power of our dollar that my case only weight 13lbs on the way out and 38lbs on the way back. :lol:

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

Bobsy wrote:
crushinat0r wrote:We also hit up Healthy Spirits to pick up some great brew, I ended up taking 18 bottles back with me, most were Wine bottle sized.. some great locals, but mostly belgians.. Even got a bottle that had been aged for 10 years that was pulled out of the back. Really knowledgeable staff.
Sounds like you had a great time! 18 bottles! Your case must have weighed a ton! It really shows the buying power of our dollar that my case only weight 13lbs on the way out and 38lbs on the way back. :lol:
My suitcase was packed with another bag (that I use just to transport beer) and a roll of bubble wrap - I've done this before, I brought back 19 bottles from Vancouver :P

Going down, my case was 32lbs, coming back it was 47lbs, 30lbs (for the second bag), and my gf had 30lbs worth in her suitcase, god bless her.

I had 4 regular sized bottles, 2 doubles, and 12 wine-sized bottles, I can't wait to dip into them or do a San Fran tasting!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

crushinat0r wrote:My suitcase was packed with another bag (that I use just to transport beer) and a roll of bubble wrap - I've done this before, I brought back 19 bottles from Vancouver :P

Going down, my case was 32lbs, coming back it was 47lbs, 30lbs (for the second bag), and my gf had 30lbs worth in her suitcase, god bless her.

I had 4 regular sized bottles, 2 doubles, and 12 wine-sized bottles, I can't wait to dip into them or do a San Fran tasting!
That's an impressive setup! My concern coming back was breakage, so I ended up wrapping everything in some clothes I'd bought and stuffing crumpled brown paper bags in for padding. I'm going to Quebec City next month, and I'm definitely taking a roll of bubble wrap.

crushinat0r

Post by crushinat0r »

Bobsy wrote: That's an impressive setup! My concern coming back was breakage, so I ended up wrapping everything in some clothes I'd bought and stuffing crumpled brown paper bags in for padding. I'm going to Quebec City next month, and I'm definitely taking a roll of bubble wrap.
I brought:

- 12" x 40" roll of bubble wrap (staples sells them)
- 2 rolls of scotch tape
- Retractable knife (Very important)
- Every pair of socks I own
- loose other padding

I double wrap each bottle then double sock.. then put them all together nice and tight and pad the outside with spare whatever I can find.. weight is usually my concern, so I have this other bag I check that has pockets on the outside that I stuff with paper and padding.. it's great! Perhaps a little too much.. and took about 3 hours to pack all the beer (20 minutes to unpack). But well worth the effort, no broken bottles, no problems at customs, and now I have a ton of great beer to drink.

I learned from my first trip to Vancouver what I'd need.. and it paid off huge this time.. the nice thing about the roll of bubble wrap is that it is perforated every foot (perfect size for a double bottle or larger) and it's sticky, so it sticks to itself.. I use the tape as an extra measure.. again, I'm super cautious, cause I don't want to risk any breakage.

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

I would also add zip lock bags to your list. They come in handy if a bottle somehow manages to break.