Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Super Premium Beers Release

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I was surprised to find the Mort Subite Gueze at a restaurant in the east end last week.

Happy to see the Young's on there.

The whole concept of "super premium" makes me laugh. Is this to distinguish these listings from merely "premium" beers like Keith's?

Raptor2023

Post by Raptor2023 »

detritus wrote:
GregClow wrote:
shintriad wrote:If my memory serves me correct, most of those beers were already regular LCBO offerings not that long ago.
Young's was on the general list at one point, I think, but it was quite some time ago. It's been in at least one seasonal release as well, about 3 or 4 years back.

Erdinger is oddly already listed as being in stock at a bunch of locations. Maybe (very) old stock from the previous appearance as a seasonal release?

Sam Smith Nut Brown has definitely been there as part of the Christmas pack, but I don't remember if it's ever been available separate from that.

Mort Subite Kriek and Greene King IPA have never been at the LCBO as far as I can remember. If they were, it would've more than 6-7 years ago.
Odd. I swear I remember seeing the kriek around. I must be mixing it up with a different one (probably Belle-Vue).

-Josh

Might you be talking about the recent Liefman's?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

kinguy wrote:
detritus wrote: Odd. I swear I remember seeing the kriek around. I must be mixing it up with a different one (probably Belle-Vue).

-Josh
I also recall the Mort Subite Kriek being around in the last few years. The Framboise has also been on LCBO shelves in the recent past.

The mort subite framboise has been a regular list product for ages.

I don't know if a lot of you are aware of this, but in the vintages releases, quite some time ago now, there used to be beer in those releases. Maybe people are remembering those releases?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Raptor2023 wrote:
detritus wrote:Odd. I swear I remember seeing the kriek around. I must be mixing it up with a different one (probably Belle-Vue).

-Josh

Might you be talking about the recent Liefman's?
I must've been thinking about either the framboise of the "gueuze".

As an aside: by putting these Mort Subite beers on the shelves regularly, the LCBO is effectively deep-sixing even the remotest chance that we'll ever see a real gueuze/lambic on the shelves. Can you imagine the reaction someone that's used to Mort Subite would have to a bottle of Cantillon?

-Josh

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cantillon???

I'm sure these four brewers Greg Clow listed have to guarantee the LCBO they will supply to the whole province non-stop. Really streamlined in favor of bigger brewers.

I look forward to the Youngs in cans, and... the Erdinger? - well even a gigantic German brewer can't totally wreck the style if you get it home fresh and undamaged. The Austrian "Edelweisse" last year was definitely my cheap thrill.

The SS Brown Ale might be okay, but it's pastuerized. One should really try Black Oak Nut Brown, the Hockley Dark and the Wellington Dark for comparison. We have some great fresh live beers made right here.

As for Budvar Tmavý (Dark), you guys ever try King Dark because I like that one too.
In Beerum Veritas

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Belgian wrote:Cantillon???

I'm sure these four brewers Greg Clow listed have to guarantee the LCBO they will supply to the whole province non-stop. Really streamlined in favor of bigger brewers.
It was just an example. Substitute any 'real' gueuze.

-Josh

haelduksf

Post by haelduksf »

Since when is Erdinger "super-premium"?

I mean, it isn't Carling, but it ain't no Thomas Hardy either.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Gedge wrote:The whole concept of "super premium" makes me laugh. Is this to distinguish these listings from merely "premium" beers like Keith's?
Yeah, it's a bit silly. Just industry marketing categories, I guess.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

GregClow wrote:
Gedge wrote:The whole concept of "super premium" makes me laugh. Is this to distinguish these listings from merely "premium" beers like Keith's?
Yeah, it's a bit silly. Just industry marketing categories, I guess.
They probably consider Big Rock's Grasshopper "Premium", in which case I'd consider this one "super-premium".

It's an easy drinker, and I'll probably buy it in the summer... but there are certainly more flavourful wheats... such as their dunkel-weisse (an ultra premium?).

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Derek wrote:... such as their dunkel-weisse (an ultra premium?).
Über-premium?
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Can't wait to try the super premium Young's Double Chocolate stout. I've missed it on it's previous visits....

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

My gf will be happy with the news that the Young's Double Chocolate stout will be added to the general list. I am happy as well as I no longer have to get these from premiere, thus freeing up some bottle room in the car.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Detritus, everyone is entitled to their opinion and now I’m going to give you mine

As to Sam Smith Nut Brown being mediocre, beeradvocate rates it B+ and the Alstrom brothers rate it A+. Ratebeer give it an 84 with a score of 3.5…I suppose the thousands of people that have reviewed this beer are dorks and your palate is somewhat exceptional. I generally do not take issue with people’s personal opinions of my products but I will when they slam products which are considered some of the best of their style. Your opinion is yours and, frankly, your palate is questionable but you have every right to post your opinion on bartowel just as I have the right to suggest you have no taste.

In regards to Mort Subite Kriek, it has never been available in Ontario and perhaps you can enlighten me as to where it is “incredibly widely available” in other jurisidictions. It is not available anywhere in the U.S. and, to my knowledge, anywhere else in Canada As to “quite bad”, I don’t know what it takes to get you “excited” about “boring” brands but perhaps another euro lager from Kazakhstan would fit the bill. It pisses me off when we when we finally get some interesting beers listed that people like you want to crap all over the effort..may you choke on a cherry pit. Cantillon will never show up on the General List so get real…would you rather have no lambics or some commercially popular ones. Move to Buffalo and get an apartment next to Premier Gourmet to satisfy your tastes.

Mort Subite Framboise has been on the LCBO General List for the pat 3 years.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

I'm not done yet, here is what the World Beer Championships had to say about SS Nut Brown...so Detritus, give us your expert review.

Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Nut Brown Ale.

Reddish dark copper color. Tangy molasses, candied citrus, and dark caramel aromas. A round entry leads to a dryish medium body of roasted pecans, light molasses, and toasted pumpernickel flavors. Finishes with a tangy, nutty, dried citrus and earthy hop fade. Very supple, refreshing, and appealing.

WORLD BEER CHAMPIONSHIPS AWARD: Gold Medal

RATED: 92 points (Exceptional)
ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 5.0%
CATEGORY: English Style Brown Ale
TASTING LOCATION: Our Chicago Tasting Room
TASTING DATE: Feb-27-2007
BEER ID: 180800

I'm sorry to go over the top on this issue but if Detritus had prefaced his comments with something like " I don't know what I'm talking about and it is only my personal opinion and no one should take it seriously as my taste buds are in my ass" then I would not have taken offence. When the beer world recognizes a brew as being world class and some joker casts aspersions on it I'm going to sit up and take notice. You don't like the beer...OK..say so but don't tell me it's mediocre as it's your taste that's mediocre.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

...but that's only my opinion and I could be wrong. In the past, rabbit would have posted these comments...now it's me and I'm upfront and I'm loving the exposure. Bad week so far so I need someone to rant against and this board offers the best opportunity for same...