Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Anywhere to buy beer glasses in Canada??

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jan Primus

Anywhere to buy beer glasses in Canada??

Post by Jan Primus »

I need to gets some Rochefort chalices...the problem with buying from the states is the shipping etc costs more than the glassware.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

I've seen them at Pub Italia here in Ottawa. I haven't been to the store for a while though.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

I will give them a call...thanks.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Hi everyone...quick question...
Does anyone know a place where I can order some personalized beer glasses?

I'm talking about getting a 'blank' tulip / chalice glass, then providing some company with our desired logo / artwork to get etched / painted on. (However they do it)

Think of a Chimay or Duvel glass with some other logo on it.

It would be for a special event in the future to give out to each attendee. I think I recall seeing BeerBistro did this at an event last year?

Thanks, any tips are great. Do not want a standard pint glass.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

El Pinguino wrote:Hi everyone...quick question...
Does anyone know a place where I can order some personalized beer glasses?

I'm talking about getting a 'blank' tulip / chalice glass, then providing some company with our desired logo / artwork to get etched / painted on. (However they do it)

Think of a Chimay or Duvel glass with some other logo on it.

It would be for a special event in the future to give out to each attendee. I think I recall seeing BeerBistro did this at an event last year?

Thanks, any tips are great. Do not want a standard pint glass.
Pretty much all the breweries have these with their logos - maybe ask one of them.

Also, Ralph had these done for CaskDays, so he would probably know someone.

-Josh

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Chaucer's Pub in here in London also sells glassware for every beer they sell. Glasses usually are $5.00.

I even picked up the shakespeare glass from sleeman bards beer, which is an awesome glass.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

sphilp

Post by sphilp »

Yeah some bars will sell you a glass(or you could just take it ;)...). I know the Beer Bistro in Toronto serves Rochefort, so if you're ever there you could ask them if they could sell you one, or order one in for you.

devonsleigh

Post by devonsleigh »

i bought my rochefort chalices from ebay, from what i remember it came out to about $30 after shipping for two. The first set came broken but the seller was nice enough to replace it, AND include a bottle of Rochefort 8 for the trouble. Thank goodness for google's french translation so I can commumicate with the seller as my rudimentary francais doesn't really cut it.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

sphilp wrote:Yeah some bars will sell you a glass(or you could just take it ;)...)...
I know you're kidding, but please don't steal glasses. One of the pleasures of a good pub or bar is beer served in the correct glass. Theft will just inform the bar owner that proper glassware is more trouble than it's worth.

I have bought many glasses in pubs by just asking if I could purchase them, and I accept it when the response is "no." In fact my local pub has some beautiful Marston Pedigree glasses that they won't (understandably) sell.

I bought a Westmalle Chalice from the BB; the price was steep but I wanted it and in the end it probably would have cost just as much to buy it elsewhere and have it shipped in. It was very decent of them to sell it to me.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Thanks guys. Next time I'm out in TO I'll ask some of the good spots about it. On the noe of just buying glasses, I've done that a number of times. Almost always places will sell a glass, although a couple times I've been told no as their stock was limited. Beer Bistro has been the friendliest place for me in this regard.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

Really bugs me to hear that bars are selling the glasses I supply for free. I'll be bringing in a boatload of Belgian glasses in about 3 months time. My most expensive will probably be Westmalle at $12.00. and the average will be about $8.00...or you can wait until Xmas 2008 when you'll be able to get gift boxes of Westmalle, Chimay, Maredsous and St. Peter's with glasses which are below cost...ooops, I've let the cat out the bag about some of the gift boxes which have been purchased...oh well, one of the benefits of membership in bartowel. We will be bringing in Rochefort chalices but, frankly, they are actually standard glasses with a lousy one colour silk-screen. Don't believe the hype, the glassware factor is way overblown...any decent chalice like Chimay or Orval or Westmalle will suit any Trappist...but then again, it's all about the experience and I still like to drink a Belgian from it's own glass whether or not it makes a difference...it's all in the mind.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Hey Peter, the Rochefort chalices you speak of...these are the wide and shallow design with the gold lettering or the ones that are shaped like Westveletren chalice?

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

esprit wrote:We will be bringing in Rochefort chalices but, frankly, they are actually standard glasses with a lousy one colour silk-screen.
I guess Jan beat me to it! But I'll add some visuals - Is that the one shown here that's essentially the same as the Westmalle, or the newer goblet shown here that's a return to an older style?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

esprit wrote:...or you can wait until Xmas 2008 when you'll be able to get gift boxes of Westmalle, Chimay, Maredsous and St. Peter's with glasses which are below cost.
Good job, Peter! :D The LCBO seems to be getting more adventurous and knowledgeable about beer - as an agent/importer have you seen a difference in attitude when dealing with them?

ps. Are those Rogue bottles specially designed for the Canadian market? I saw your agency info on the side and as the picture is different from the US it got me wondering. Lot cooler if you ask me.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I bought some Corsendonk tulips from eBay and never regretted it. Even with the shipping and all, it was quite cheap.

If you're patient, just about everything will show up in an auction eventually.