Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Anywhere to buy beer glasses in Canada??

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

The plain Rochefort glass (this one) is actually one of my favourites because it's so simple. No gold or silver (which wears off) or fancy lettering, just a simple design, lightweight, with a stylized "T" that doubles as a fill line. Perfect for Trappist and abbey beers, as well as saison. The newer, more rounded, design doesn't appeal to me at all.
Here's to the slow path.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

I think that design with the yellow writing is identical to my Westveletren chalices. The one with the gold is too shallow, imho would be better suited to a 250ml beer...can be easy to spill some precious Rochefort when it's near full.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Maredsous ones Peter mentioned (go Esprit) - narrower but nice-looking glasses. Beer is worth way more than the glass to me though. I don't use mine except to serve some lady a pilsner, very fancy you see.

Affligem chalice from gift pack - VERY similar to Rochefort one shown above. Not advising to drink Affligem, just saying! And I rarely use it because of the almost flared shape. I much preder the squat, "turned in bowl" Rochefort shape, when I have used them.

Never regretted buying some extra Chimay chalices, those are very multi-purpose - these glasses and Duvel Tulips are my favorite to use for any strong ales from Belgium. You can SWIRL those tulips for total aromatic enjoyment of any beer.

Things are not going so bad this year, beer-wise.
the glassware factor is way overblown..
Nice play on words.
In Beerum Veritas

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Early last summer when the last branded wheat beer glass was stolen Allen's took to serving the Barvarian delight in scratched up nonicks. That's not a good combination.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I agree the Rochefort glass is great. I got mine from a little town in Belgium. My interest in glassware is that it is my one itme I seek out as souvenir while travelling. Most recently I added a 'Pilsener' mug from Quito, Ecuador.

It is always more fun asking to buy / trying to find glasses in such countries. The place I got that one I enjoyed a great ceviche lunch and had the entire restaurant staff looking a me funny when I asked to buy the glass. But now I have a souvenir which reminds me of the best meal I had in a foreign country.

Some places here are great, offering glasses for free or only a few bucks...it's really hit or miss it seems.

I don't condone stealing glasses, but any smart retail business allots for a certain amount of 'lost/stolen' product, and if Esprit and others are providing complimentary glassware, it makes sense to me for beer bars to willingly help 'spread the word' on good beers by allowing their glasses to walk out the door.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

The new import agency Beer Barons, who are bringing Weihenstephan to Ontario starting in May, dropped me a line to let me know that they have Weihenstephan glasses available. They're $10 each, and anyone interested can contact them at 647-404-3700 or sales@beerbarons.ca.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

GregClow wrote:The new import agency Beer Barons, who are bringing Weihenstephan to Ontario starting in May, dropped me a line to let me know that they have Weihenstephan glasses available. They're $10 each, and anyone interested can contact them at 647-404-3700 or sales@beerbarons.ca.
Sweet! I picked up a stein when I was there, but I could always use a wheat glass (especially if their wheats become readily available here). I wonder if there's a korbinian glass?

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

Korbinian was the best beer I ever bought - years ago - at Premier. When I was there in October I asked the guys about it and they didn't know what I was talking about.

I wonder if B Barons will be bringing it in here? Guess I'll have to ask while asking about glasses.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Mmmmm. Wheat beers....with the first day of spring tomorrow I think I'm ready for patio weather and wheat beers. As for the Weihenstephan glasses godo to know - may have to pick one up after I've sampled some Weihenstephan.