Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Converting the Unbelievers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

denguy

Converting the Unbelievers

Post by denguy »

I am (slowly) converting two people to the fine offerings from the pleasantry of Ontario craft beers. One was/is a Carling (or some cheap beer) drinker, and the other a recovering Keiths addict.
"Just say, 'Nay!'" I tell them, "to the world of MolBats. You must first repent and admit your sins before you can allow yourself to move on."

I managed to move the Keiths addict from Stella to Creemore and I'm now trying to ease him into Cameron's.

Anyway, the Carling drinker didn't like my King Pilsner or the Saint Andre's (don't judge him too harshly, he's but a babe in these trying sessions).

Does any of you lot have a recommendation for a beer that might help the ex-Carlingite convert? I really thought the King Pil or Saint Andre's would be to his liking. But alas....

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Geez. He didn't like King?

You could try giving him Steam Whistle or Mill Street Organic. Those are very inoffensive. Try slipping a Mill Street Wit in there, just to see what they think.

If they really don't enjoy it, it could be lost cause. It might just be a price issue. Or maybe they just really like the carbonation?

Or maybe...just maybe...what they've really been looking for all this time is an Imperial Stout.

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

denguy wrote:I am (slowly) converting two people to the fine offerings from the pleasantry of Ontario craft beers. One was/is a Carling (or some cheap beer) drinker, and the other a recovering Keiths addict.
"Just say, 'Nay!'" I tell them, "to the world of MolBats. You must first repent and admit your sins before you can allow yourself to move on."

I managed to move the Keiths addict from Stella to Creemore and I'm now trying to ease him into Cameron's.

Anyway, the Carling drinker didn't like my King Pilsner or the Saint Andre's (don't judge him too harshly, he's but a babe in these trying sessions).

Does any of you lot have a recommendation for a beer that might help the ex-Carlingite convert? I really thought the King Pil or Saint Andre's would be to his liking. But alas....
Did he give any particular reasons for not enjoying the King and St. Andres? That might help us to diagnose his condition.

-Josh

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

I find that Sam Adams is a good crossover beer. It's not overwhelming, has pretty good character, and is well-known enough that your unsuspecting victim won't be suspicious. :P

denguy

Post by denguy »

detritus wrote: Did he give any particular reasons for not enjoying the King and St. Andres? That might help us to diagnose his condition.

-Josh
Perhaps he wasn't used to it, he's not a fan of cream ales, but--I don't know why he wouldn't like the King or St. Andre's, I bought those two specifically because I thought he'd like them.

I was thinking of going with Red Leaf next.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

I usually keep some Mill Street Stock Ale or even Robert Simpson Confederation Ale in the fridge for just such occasions. I find that they're good "gateway" beers.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

detritus
Bar Fly

Post by detritus »

Try giving him something like a Mill St Stock Ale in a glass, without telling him what it is.

-Josh

flip

Post by flip »

I'll throw my hat into the ring for Mill Street Stock Ale as well.

My brother brought an unbeliever to town one weekend and we went to the Mill Street brewpub. He ordered the Stock Ale and wouldn't stop talking about it.... even after he went back home. Apparently he started showing up at people's parties/events with six packs of it asking "Have you tried this before?" :)

I don't know if your friends will take to it quite as much, but it certainly opened this guy's eyes...

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Harder to find, but also a good gateway is F&M Stonehammer Pislner.

Don't be afraid to try something hoppy either. Often it's the malty character that turns off macro to micro movers. Black Oak Pale might get a good result.

706Union

Post by 706Union »

The_Jester wrote:I usually keep some Mill Street Stock Ale or even Robert Simpson Confederation Ale in the fridge for just such occasions. I find that they're good "gateway" beers.
Sorry if this is hijacking but ...
I've had (surprisingly) poor experiences with both of these beers.
A very similar taste issue - a potent "stinky cheese" kind of flavour and aroma is the best way I can describe it.
I have found the identical issue with Black Oak Pale Ale, Trailhead Lager, and Red Cap Ale.
Also King Pilsner and Creemore Lager to a lesser degree.
Anyone know of a common ingredient that is putting me off?
Did I get bad beer? Many of these were one-time purchases.
TIA.

Colin @ Canada

Post by Colin @ Canada »

1) Wellington Trailhead Lager
2) Cameron's Lager
3) Amsterdam Blonde Lager
4) Brickman Pilsner
5) Walkerville Amber lager
Or better yet, pick them up one of those Discovery packs at the LCBO which is a taster box of Ontario Craft beer.

Illuminatus

Post by Illuminatus »

Colin @ Smokeless wrote:1) Wellington Trailhead Lager
Wellington Trailhead is quite good given the low price.

denguy

Post by denguy »

Colin @ Smokeless wrote: Or better yet, pick them up one of those Discovery packs at the LCBO which is a taster box of Ontario Craft beer.
Yes, good idea. Six transitional beers in one box.
I'm also going to get him the Brickman Pilsner and the Trailhead.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Going from macro to a beer like king pilsener, for intance, is always going to be difficult for the macro drinker---mild, slightly sweet and thin to malty with a definite bitter, hoppy aftertaste; I once heard king criticized by a macro drinker for "tasting too much like beer". It sounds like the only solution is a macro style craft beer , then work from there. Good luck.

esprit
Seasoned Drinker

Post by esprit »

706Union, the common ingredient is beer...sounds like you don't really enjoy it as I've never heard of anyone rhyming off a list that long that they don't like. There is the odd beer I don't like but your list includes some that I like very much...I know it's a matter of personal taste.