Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Beer Store: Exposed as the crooks that they are!

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Just gave him a piece of my mind too.

That petition has nearly 3000 signatures now
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

I signed the petition and sent a note to McGuinty. He seems pretty flippant about the whole thing, doesn't he? At least Tory has enough balls to give lip service to considering alternatives. NDP is absolutely hopeless, though. I've talked to Layton directly about the subject, and they're not budging.

I bet the Greens could be persuaded though. They're pretty friendly to small, local business.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Straight from Dalton's lips (or arse)

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/456876

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" there's a lovely motto for a PREMIER OF A PROVINCE!!! Great to know we have such a forward thinking, creative government.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

Message to Dalton sent. I wonder what other issues he can drop the ball on?

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

Bytowner wrote:Straight from Dalton's lips (or arse)

http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/456876

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" there's a lovely motto for a PREMIER OF A PROVINCE!!! Great to know we have such a forward thinking, creative government.

A$ far a$ he'$ concerned, it'$ not broken.

That's why we've to to convince him that it is.

Don't forget about your local MPP, especially if (s)he's Liberal.
http://www.ontariotenants.ca/government/mpp.phtml
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Just sent a message to Dalty.

The fucking idiot.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I've been biting my tongue over this for a while, but I've finally reached my limits. UNDER-AGER'S STILL BUY ALCOHOL, IT'S A SIMPLE REALITY. If they don't buy it directly, guess what? THEY HAVE FRIENDS. There's an entire WORLD of fake ID's out there, many are very legitimate looking. It makes me laugh every time the defense is used for TBS as well as the LCBO, that they help to stop sales to minors. It's entirely dependant on the cashier. If they think you look at least 19, 9 times out of 10 they aren't going to hold up a line of people waiting behind you to examine your ID.

I'm not saying I ever managed to purchase alcohol while underage, because I never did, in fact I never even attempted it. But I know PLENTY of kids who did, and got away with it. Beyond that, just getting access to alcohol at all is NEVER a problem for kids who really want it. Throw whatever bogus statistic you want at me, I'd be willing to bet money that in reality, rates of underage drinking are just as high in Ontario as anywhere else, or at least that the differences are marginal.

I hate how corner store owners and bartenders are always just assumed to be out to corrupt your kids just to make a dollar. As if the rest of the world isn't :roll: .

If the government wanted to stamp out underage drinking entirely, they'd have to pass a law forbidding people under 19 to interact with anyone who's able to buy them booze, from their friends to their parents. Even then, it's not hard to figure out how to make your own alcohol. Teenagers are going to drink and party. It's life. Get over it. You did it too when you were young :P .

The 'socially responsible' 'we save your kids from the evils of having fun/you from getting killed by a roaming gang of enraged drunken 12 year old's' arguement is always one that makes me snicker, but also cringe.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Sooo.... when can I get a Free Our Beer t-shirt? I would most definately buy one of those.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12615040077

A facebook group I joined months ago.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Pub Style wrote:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12615040077

A facebook group I joined months ago.
Joined. 8)

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

JesseM wrote:I've been biting my tongue over this for a while, but I've finally reached my limits. UNDER-AGER'S STILL BUY ALCOHOL, IT'S A SIMPLE REALITY. If they don't buy it directly, guess what? THEY HAVE FRIENDS. There's an entire WORLD of fake ID's out there, many are very legitimate looking. It makes me laugh every time the defense is used for TBS as well as the LCBO, that they help to stop sales to minors. It's entirely dependant on the cashier. If they think you look at least 19, 9 times out of 10 they aren't going to hold up a line of people waiting behind you to examine your ID. . .
Wait'll David Miller bans underage drinking. That'll put a stop to it.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

:lol: . Know that!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Ontario Craft Brewers Retail Shop

Let Ontario Craft Brewers Open Their Own Retail Stores

Now that I think about it, these should probably all be consolidated.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Yeah I actually just joined all three groups, but seeing them all listed in my news feed gave me the same feeling, that they're all really the same group essentially, or at least could be grouped together.