Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Aus Stein trinken

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

shintriad
Bar Fly

Aus Stein trinken

Post by shintriad »

My pops just brought me back a cool (if somewhat kitschy) stein from Austria.

Just wondering, under what circumstances would you drink from a stein? I just poured myself a Weihenstephaner, which seemed as good a choice as any, but I'm just curious as to what's considered an auspicious stein-scenario.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

shintriad wrote:My pops just brought me back a cool (if somewhat kitschy) stein from Austria.

Just wondering, under what circumstances would you drink from a stein? I just poured myself a Weihenstephaner, which seemed as good a choice as any, but I'm just curious as to what's considered an auspicious stein-scenario.

I have several and I drink from them when I feel like it, for no real reason other than I feel like it. I find they keep the beer cold for a long period of time. I usually fill em' up with a wheat.

That said, I am looking for the coldest tasting beer on the market. I need a beer that is as cold as the mountains. Maybe something that tastes like ice cold. When I find this beer I will put it in my stein and it will become colder, resulting in the coldest tasting beverage on earth.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Magni

Post by Magni »

Ah but we all know what beer 'tastes like cold'

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Steins are really good for German Pilseners or Helles/Dortmunder's. At least I find. Or if it's some crappy pale lager that I have to drink when there's nothing else around and I really don't care what it would look like in a proper glass. Wheats seem sort of weird to me to put in one, but hey to each his own.

I really love steins and would start a collection if I actually had real money!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

You can only use steins if you wear lederhosen or have an absurdly busty maiden server you your beer - It's the Bavarian tacky law of 1410! :lol:

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I'm having flashbacks to the liter-sized steins in Munich beer halls. Oompah band playing and old men in lederhosen. I'd definitely get the hofbrauhaus oktoberfest that's coming out in this fall's release and fill her to the brim.

Mississauga Matt

Post by Mississauga Matt »

I go to the same rental cottage each year. I need to drink out of some sort of beer vessel, so rather than risk breaking a glass or two in transit or on site, I take my indestructible Paulaner stein. Wheat beer, pilsner, dark ale, stout - everything tastes good in it.
Guess what? I got a fever. And the only prescription ... is more cowbell!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I feel like an old German guy with my steins in hand.

I have a few flip-top ones (designed to keep out flying nose beer) plus a few vintage Oktoberfest München ones, a Czech Leander white porcelain one (ooh!) a crystal one and I dunno... some others.

German Kitsch at its finest, and they DO serve (no pun) lager styles well. Weizen just needs a high Hefe glass with a broadening top and a rim that turns slightly in.

Some trivia; glass-bottomed German beer steins were not uncommon. You could keep an eye on potential attackers while you drink... seriously.

Ahh, steins... weird, lumpy heavy ugly & grey - yet fun!
In Beerum Veritas

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

shintriad wrote:... but I'm just curious as to what's considered an auspicious stein-scenario.
Definitely martinis. Some will also say cranberry juice, but I'm a bit of a purist.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

biegaman wrote:
shintriad wrote:... but I'm just curious as to what's considered an auspicious stein-scenario.
Definitely martinis. Some will also say cranberry juice, but I'm a bit of a purist.
What's a "martini"? You mean like those $12 chocolate-flavoured drinks? Mmm, yummy! :roll:

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Any advice on finding "good" steins? I have a Hofbrau pewter top 1L and an Augustiner (Salzberg) 1/2L pewter top. I'd love to get more but the tacky tourist ones just ain't the same (just weigh them in your hand, far too light). I saw a couple in antique shops in Berlin but they were hundreds of euros.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Check out pretty much any antiques market. The ones around where I live all have hundreds of steins available, many of which are pretty decently sized, and they're always extremely well priced. You just have to make sure you wash it out at least once before using it :wink: .

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Steins are something friends & family from Germany will most likely present you, lacking any idea what else to give you for a present or as a thank-you gesture. It is probably the most easy thing to gift, to re-gift, or having owned it a while to one day decide to give the thing away.

A lot of times the Steinkitsch will just gather dust or clog cupboards, so make new German friends or else tell the ones you know that you collect unloved Steins. Or travel!

(I would like to inherit my late father's old "Bavarian Flag" - patterned Stein, it is the coolest one I have seen.) (Then I may give away one or two others... heh!)
In Beerum Veritas

Hamilton Brian

Post by Hamilton Brian »

My pewter-lid steins come in handy in my attempts to ward off the next plague brought about by flies landing in my suds.

I brought a bunch back from when I lived in Germany. Good conversation pieces and I think we're going to use a couple as our vessels at the Winking Judge.