Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

DFH 60 Min, preceded by a can of Shlitz Genuine Gold (honestly one of the worst beers I've ever had). Trying to chill out to some Tchaikovsky. It's been one of those kind of days.

aeroeng

Post by aeroeng »

Right now, enjoying a Stevens Point Brewery Oktoberfest (Marzen Style) from Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Picked this one up in Ames, Iowa a couple of weeks ago.

Really enjoying all of the different beer produced by US breweries. We need more of these right here.

Jan Primus

Post by Jan Primus »

Brooklyn's IPA...much better than I was lead to believe.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Great Lakes Pumpkin Ale from the bomber was really good, the fruit and spice are subtle but very nice.

The Headstrong Munich Lager is stunningly good - this canned version is now made in the USA, and exhibits a full flavor with hints of fruitiness. Much better than my earlier experiences (Wellington-brewed, 650ml bottle.) I WANT the Grand River -brewed Ontario draught version now!

The Dogfish Head 60 is growing on me more each time, though I swear the six pack is slightly off. It's still a regal beer that can take LCBO's abuse and really shine.

Just having some soda water with half a crushed lime, I swear it tastes exactly like very fresh Corona.
In Beerum Veritas

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Belgian wrote: The Headstrong Munich Lager is stunningly good - this canned version is now made in the USA, and exhibits a full flavor with hints of fruitiness. Much better than my earlier experiences (Wellington-brewed, 650ml bottle.) I WANT the Grand River -brewed Ontario draught version now!
I had forgotten about this. The minerals in GR's water are similar to Munich, and their first batch of Hannenberg (helles) was spectacular. I'll definitely have to try this one out!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote: The minerals in GR's water are similar to Munich, and their first batch of Hannenberg (helles) was spectacular. I'll definitely have to try this one out!
What a difference the WATER makes. I did try GR Hannenberg Pils at ?C'est What? and it blew my socks off - I actually said I could pretty much live on that kind of German-style Pilsner. We have some definite 'sleeper beers' in Ontario (but that's another thread??)
In Beerum Veritas

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Had a grand ol' Grand River weekend.

Had the Executioner's and the Mill Race Mild (among many others) at the Castle on King on Saturday night and stopped by the brewery to taste/pick up some Bumbleberry Wheat, Vlaams Rood, Hannenburg Pills and Town Hall Lager on the way home on Sunday......they say the pumpkin ale should be available by Thanksgiving. Awesome beers as always. Thanks GRB!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Had my one and only 1993 Thomas Hardy Ale over the weekend. Shared it too!!!!!! Also got to sample some Black Saisson from a local homebrewer/fellow alcoholic. A great, malty, bitter, spiced, chocolaty, coffee version of your regular saisson. Puts a lot of full timers to shame :P

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Derek wrote:
Belgian wrote: The Headstrong Munich Lager is stunningly good - this canned version is now made in the USA, and exhibits a full flavor with hints of fruitiness. Much better than my earlier experiences (Wellington-brewed, 650ml bottle.) I WANT the Grand River -brewed Ontario draught version now!
I had forgotten about this. The minerals in GR's water are similar to Munich, and their first batch of Hannenberg (helles) was spectacular. I'll definitely have to try this one out!
So the can is still brewed in the US? It certainly still tastes as lack-luster as usual...

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Torontoblue wrote:Also got to sample some Black Saisson from a local homebrewer/fellow alcoholic. A great, malty, bitter, spiced, chocolaty, coffee version of your regular saisson. Puts a lot of full timers to shame :P
i keep trying to convince the bastard to bring a growler over for me, but it hasn't happened yet. i did at least get a little sample of it on sunday though. definitely good stuff. though i can't really complain when i'll be tapping my quad and saison this weekend...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Derek wrote:
Belgian wrote: The Headstrong Munich Lager is stunningly good
So the can is still brewed in the US? It certainly still tastes as lack-luster as usual...
Too bad then I guess. The new stock from (magical) Barrack Street WAS refrigerated (he repeated like a broken record.... click... click... click... ) well big D let me know if the GR one is decent.

I was drinking that Minervois I spoke of (Dom. Des Homs) from the Languedoc (=French for 'Good wine region that people don't over-hype') - it's a very nice Grenache / Syrah - good value & worth having a few spares on hand.
Last edited by Belgian on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Behaven Wee Heavy. Once again, I encounter a U.K. beer of notably low carbonation (others include Greene King, Fuller's Porter). This is all to the good provided the beer is served at a room or cellar temperature: served cold it might taste too flat.

This Belhaven is similar to St. Andrews we used to get from Caledonian, with that roasted malt note that almost tastes peated even though it isn't. It's a smooth beer with many subtleties, as close to an English old ale as we are likely to get at the moment in Ontario from the U.K. Yes, it lacks the fruitiness of the best of those, and is more restrained in the Scottish, cold(er) fermentation way, but I sense a family resemblance.

Gary

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Gearing up to watch the U.S. Vice presidential debate with a Phillips Amnesiac IIPA. You can see Russia from the brewery dontcha know?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

watching the debate while I imbibe a Rochefort 10. I only have two things to say; way to go Joe and damn this is a good beer. I would have its children if i could. ;)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Isn't anyone watching the Canadian debate?

Actually I was flipping back & forth... but finally tired of both.

The Amsterdam Oktoberfest is pretty good this year. Personally I'd cut back on the smoked malt, but it's still very drinkable.