Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

KLB

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

I was us up at the Peterborough Craft Beer show today, and I got some bad new on KLB. Amsterdam has bought them, and it looks like they are going to relocated the brewery equipment to Toronto and shut KLB down. So we lose another one.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Crap. That sucks.

Anyone up for a KLB wake? We can get a 6-pack or two of each of their beers for one last taste before they disappear.

Greg

DAN-D-MAN

Post by DAN-D-MAN »

Sad news indeed... my wife will lose her favourite beer, the Raspberry Wheat. I hope Amsterdam considers continuing some of KLB's beers.

Hey Greg, I'll join ya for a salute to KLB. I sure will be cleaning house at whichever LCBO or Beer Store I get to.

Publican

Post by Publican »

Greg, I'm up for it as well. I have never had enough of thier Pale Ale.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Publican on 2003-07-14 07:55 ]</font>

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

This has been rumoured for a while. I'm curious, however, since I thought that Amsterdam was going to move its equipment to Pbo instead. I have seen a "for sale" sign on their building on 600 King W. for some time, and I didn't think they were going to buy it.

I could be wrong though. I think if Amsterdam does move to Pbo they would meet with a bad local welcome if they discontinue all KLB beers!

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

I highly doubt they'd cancel the KLB Raspberry Wheat - that sucker is a cash cow. That might spell the end for the Amsterdam Framboise, however, which is a much superior brew.

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Yes, KLB is gone for sure. Andrew's house is even up for sale! As for their product line, I'm sure the only one that will continue is the Raspberry Wheat. It accounted for most of their sales and was the real equity in the KLB name. The Pale Ale, while being a very good beer, was never that successful in the marketplace. I'm truly sorry to see this come to pass. The micro industry needs more players to make it a viable voice. Amsterdam, which itself is owned by Ball Beer( who has most of their product contract brewed at Brick-still following?)seems to be moving into the giggle and tickle marketplace, at least as far as their marketing is concerned.
Truly a sad day.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

On 2003-07-14 10:28, Josh Oakes wrote:
I highly doubt they'd cancel the KLB Raspberry Wheat - that sucker is a cash cow. That might spell the end for the Amsterdam Framboise, however, which is a much superior brew.
Sadly, Josh, you're probably right. Given the choice between keeping one or the other, I could see an increasingly market-share-driven brewery like Amsterdam keeping the Raspberry Wheat over the Framboise.

But it's a pretty safe bet that they'll kill off the KLB Nut Brown and Lager in favour of their own Nut Brown and Blonde. And as for the Pale Ale, that could go either way, but if it does stick around I expect it'll be a dumbed down version, like what Brick did to Conner's Bitter.

Greg

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

A sad day indeed....

Personally, I'd take the KLB Raspberry over the Framboise, although I do like both of them.

The KLB nut brown is great when fresh, but it seems to go downhill quickly.

The Pale is a really dry pale ale, although nowadays when I want to grab for a Pale ale I'm grabbing for something way more hoppy...

Let us salute one of (my) first good microbreweries. We used to make road trips to Peterborough and load up on the old cases of large bottles....

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

At the festival, I was told that the Raspberry Wheat was probably going to be discontinued. My understanding was that all Amsterdam wanted from KLB was their equipment. Could be wrong of course, but my impression was that KLB is kaput.

Joe

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Raspberry Wheat a "cash cow"...yeah, right..I guess that was their problem, making too much money...that'll kill you every time.

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

I should add that anyone who thinks either of these guy's versions of a raspberry beer are good needs a taste bud transplant....give me a Belgian lambic anyday! Frankly, with the takeover I hope Amsterdam invests in a new raspberry because the one that KLB has been using is very tired...how many batches of beer can you brew using only a single berry?

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Different beers for different occasions... Cant imagine sitting in the backyard having a BBQ with belgian lambics. I like the 'hint 'o raspberry' the KLB beer has.

Besides, give me a New Glarus Belgian Red over any of them. Not really a lambic (or Belgian), just damned tasty....

Josh Oakes

Post by Josh Oakes »

Good thing rabbit knows so much about business. After all, he apparently thinks it's impossible for a company with one successful product to go out of business.

After all, it's not like there are any other factors to consider...you know, like the performance of other products, tax & regulatory considerations, competitive environment, debt load (small, capital-intensive businesses never have to worry about things like debt) or personal issues (no small business has ever closed because of personal issues). Look at Denison's - did they close because their beer was bad? Because they didn't have a marketable product? Absolutely not.

Truth is, I don't know why they went under, but it wasn't because of the Raspberry Wheat. That was a money maker.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

They should have never bothered to expand. I'm guessing they got greedy and collapsed under the weight of thier own financing.