Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO strike

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

First of all, lets drop the political posturing and emotions.

In this day and age unions are really just HR outsourcing agencies. Employers turn to them (unfortunately without choice) for a labour pool. The union staffs, manages wages, benefits etc. They are a business unto themselves. The only real difference is that their operation is financed by the worker not the employer (the employer funds the programs through payroll and other plans, but the worker pays the union salaries).

So, if you want real free enterprise then let employers choose the outsourcing companies (unions) they want to deal with and let the workers choose the HR departments (unions) they fund.

This really is not about workers rights. That can be dealt with under labour law. It's about one more form of monopoly that employers, workers and consumers are stuck with.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

velovampire wrote:I couldn't believe how much people were buying. Literally every person in the massive line had a shopping cart overflowing with cases of wine, beer and various bottles of liquor. It was like the opening scene in Leaving Las Vegas, multiplied by 70-80. I put down the single bottle of rum I had intended to buy and walked out. Seriously, how long do these people think the strike is going to last, if it even happens at all?
I suspect that the vast majority of the people buying cases and cases of booze were bar and restaurant owners. They're the ones that are going to be really fucked over if the strike happens and lasts more than a few days, so I can't blame them for buying as much as they can get their hands on.

$

Post by $ »

jethro796 wrote:Let's remember that private sector and/or non union employees enjoy many rights and freedoms on the coat tails of unionized employees.
Our society as a whole benefits from a 5 day work week (some only working 37.5 hours a week), benefits for most full time employees, and their families as well as paid vacations.
If it weren't for unions we would still be working 6 day weeks - 12 hours a day for far less than minimum wage.
Bullshit.
If it wasn't for unions most of us would be working 25 hours a week because goods and services would be cheaper and workers more efficient.

You have no right to tell an employer he must only let his workers work X amount of hours a week, pay for vacations and provide benefits. You have no right to tell and employer that they must hire someone at a minimum wage. You have no right to tell a worker the same either. If I am willing to work 50 hours a week at $1/hour it is no one's concern.

This is the same attitude that gives us government monopolies, garbage strikes, endless debt and higher taxes with no increase in the value supposedly provided.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

$
Are you kidding me?

Do you seriously believe that,

"Bullshit.
If it wasn't for unions most of us would be working 25 hours a week because goods and services would be cheaper and workers more efficient."

Have you studied 20th century History at all? How about the Industrial revolution in during the 19th century in Britain?

Sigh...I guess every forum needs a troll.
Last edited by dutchcanuck on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garthicus

Post by Garthicus »

LCBO shelves @ Yonge & Davenport http://twitpic.com/88gan

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Garthicus wrote:LCBO shelves @ Yonge & Davenport http://twitpic.com/88gan
Seriously?

Insane.

wilco

Post by wilco »

Garthicus wrote:LCBO shelves @ Yonge & Davenport http://twitpic.com/88gan
Hopefully this will help the LCBO figure out that won't buy crappy box wine, even as a last resort

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

$ wrote:... If I am willing to work 50 hours a week at $1/hour it is no one's concern...
Go for it.

wilco wrote:Hopefully this will help the LCBO figure out that won't buy crappy box wine, even as a last resort
Actually, my mother-in-law will drink that boxed wine. Hell, she'd probably drink whatever's in those cups.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

dutchcanuck wrote:$
Are you kidding me?

Do you seriously believe that,

"Bullshit.
If it wasn't for unions most of us would be working 25 hours a week because goods and services would be cheaper and workers more efficient."

Have you studied 20th century History at all? How about the Industrial revolution in during the 19th century in Britain?

Sigh...I guess every forum needs a troll.

We've got a couple around these parts.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Nothing like a craft beer forum for insightful and reality based social and political commentary. :roll:

Anyone want anything from Vancouver!? :D

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

The strike has been averted for the time being, and the deadline has been extended. My sources tell me this is to clean up some language issues, so basically the major issues have already been put to rest.

Based on what I have heard, things are looking quite positive for our members at this time, and I think we may have even obtained a 5 year contract this time around.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

Well that's disappointing.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

DragonOfBlood wrote:Big surprise.

http://www.opseu.org/news/press2009/jun-23a-2009.htm

:roll:
so much for last call!

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Voting in favor of a strike is a simple bargaining tactic. You can vote yes, but still not actually want to go out.
I am aware of that - my point is that the union encourages it's use as a tactic in order to say publicly "our members want a strike" when, in your own words, they don't.