Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

The Twisted Kilt

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I heard today that a new pub called The Twisted Kilt will be taking over the Bow & Arrow's location.

I haven't heard when it will be opening, or whether The Neighbourhood Group is still involved. Hopefully, it'll be a decent place that resembles the Bow in better days, and not just another pretend-a-pub.

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

GregClow wrote:I haven't heard when it will be opening, or whether The Neighbourhood Group is still involved. Hopefully, it'll be a decent place that resembles the Bow in better days, and not just another pretend-a-pub.
I heard that it won't be the Neighbourhood Pub Group, but a group associated with another pub here in Toronto and the rumour is there will be a good selection of craft beers. Just what I've heard.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Oh yeah... I meant to say all of the above too. Some folks have been working on it for quite a while, and last week a banner went up outside. I believe it had 'Sleeman' quite prominently placed on it, so we'll see if the tap list is craft-orientated or macro-dominated with a tip of the cap to something like Tankhouse.

Here's hoping craft...its only 15 minutes walk from home!

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Its 10 minutes from work, so I can bring friends and clients if its a craft place

wittaker

Post by wittaker »

I'm going to miss the Bow. One of my first "micro" spots. I also enjoyed the Celtic music on Sundays.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Hopefully they replace all the beer lines... and possibly even the taps!

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I'll miss the Bow too, as it was a micro introduction destination for me as well. But as said earlier, something needed to be done, it was dreadful at the end.

Derek - good advice!

I really really really try not to judge a place by its name, especially one that has not opened yet, but I hope this pub is a little more inspired and unique than its new name - it sounds like a name straight out of a boardroom where they cut cookies.

$

Post by $ »

I had given up on beer and degenerated to coors and busch lite until we moved near the bow. First time there I tried a cask beer and my faith in beer was restored. So I'll miss the bow.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

The name is reminiscent of the American chain "The Tilted Kilt." Kind of a pub version of Hooters.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

TJ

Post by TJ »

The_Jester wrote:The name is reminiscent of the American chain "The Tilted Kilt." Kind of a pub version of Hooters.
And also a not-particularly-great pub in downtown Whitby which should change its slogan to "home of the cougars".

http://www.tiltedkilt.ca/

Asst. Grain Shoveller

Post by Asst. Grain Shoveller »

Here's some secret insider information from "Deep Pint" an industry info gatherer (and general gossip monger):

Twisted Kilt will be doing substantial behind the front of the house renovations.
A new beer fridge is being installed
New beer lines are being installed
Draft lines will go down to 18
Cask lines will remain at 3
A new kitchen will be installed.
The management team appears to be well experienced and they want to keep a similar line of craft beers on tap.
They also plan on having a great menu.

They estimate 3 weeks before they will be ready.

My guess is they will be up and running by September

Look forward to seeing you there

Cheers
Deep Pint

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Deep:

That sounds very very promising. There's an excellent beer called Hop Bomb that you might be familiar with - I hope it might be featured on one of those three beer engines!

The Liquor Lady

Post by The Liquor Lady »

I guess things change with the times. Hope things get better for my friends that worked at Neighborhood Pubs Grroup. Working at Niagara Brewing Co as inside sales, and calling them each week for their orders, man....these guys were great!

A lot of laughs and their loyalty to craft beer was amazing!
Bonnie from the former Niagara Falls Brewing Company...glad I found this place!

gregman98

Post by gregman98 »

I live near Yonge and Davisville, and while taking a bike ride, asked a contractor working there when the bar is opening.

According to him, the Twisted Kilt will open this Thursday (Sept. 24th).

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

A bit of detective work leads me to believe that the Twisted Kilt has some connection to Vdara, a restaurant on Queen West near Bathurst (in the spot that used to be Satori, Habitat, or for the older folks, Future Bakery).

I've eaten there once, and the food was quite decent. They also had a few good local brews on tap, so they seem to be in touch with the craft beer scene, which is a good sign.