Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Boston

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Ralphus

Boston

Post by Ralphus »

I'll be in Boston Monday to Wed evening in the downtown/beacon hill area. Its my first time in the city. I'll check out our BA/RB for destinations but I'm curious if anyone here has any bars or brewpubs they can recommend.

Thanks

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

I don't remember the beer selection being spectacular, but the Black Rose in Faneuil Hall is the best Irish pub/restaurant I've ever been to. Unbelieveable music and atmosphere. (I hope it's still there; it's been a while.)
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

If anyone has had a good Boston hotel experience - safe street at night, close to a good beer bar - I'd appreciate that information too.
Cheers!

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

Bukowski's in Back Bay is one my all time favorites. It's a really small dive bar with a great tap list, lively music and a unique crowd. I enjoyed the fact that they had Miller Lite on tap and referred to it on the menu as "house swill" and charged only 3 bucks a pint or something.

You could make the trip out to Cambridge where they have a couple great brewpubs (John Harvard's and Cambridge Brewing). I found the beer amazing but the atmosphere a little stuffy.

They don't have a brewpub, but I would recommend checking out the Harpoon Brewery whilst there. It's close to downtown in the Seaport near the airport.

Last time there I stayed at the Radisson http://www.radisson.com/hotels/maboston on Stuart Street. It was a nice place and had a Rock Bottom right across the street which was pretty good.

mjohnston

Post by mjohnston »

I realize the window's passed, but I'll comment for the archive :) I just got back from a long weekend there and had some good food and drink experiences.

Checked out Cambridge Brewing, which was offers good quality brews (their brews) but not a large selection. They also tend to be session oriented; the highest ABV was a 6% porter. I know ABV isn't everything, but if you're looking for imperials this isn't the place to go.

Sunset Grill offered the best selection. I had an 8oz Lost Abbey Angel Share for $7 and an Avery Reverend. Didn't have enough time to drink more than that, although I would have been inclined to given the amazing selection.

Lord Hobo had a lot of great lambics on the website but nothing when I got there. The most interesting thing on the menu was a Stone Imperial Stout, which was nice, but I only ended up having one drink there and moving on to cheaper and better stocked pastures. Food was pretty well done; I had a medium rare burger that was cooked properly (and lived to tell the tale; but that's never been a problem in the past). :)

On the beer store end, I hit Charles St. Liquor. It's nice because it's right at a red line (subway) stop. Picked up a Lost Abbey Angel Share, Rasputin 12th Aniv., Oak Aged Yet Espresso and Chocolate, Kelpie (been waiting to try it since the mix gift packs hit the LCBO), some Founders Breakfast Stout and Backwoods Bastard.

I'll mention some good food we had too.

1. On Sunday (not sure if it's only on Sunday but that's what I've heard), we had a fantastic cream donut at Flour bakery. Man, our "Boston Cream Donuts" have got absolutely nothing on this.

2. Neptune for oysters. Had a nice sampling across a number of types. They were all really fresh and the bar tender was very helpful in choosing a selection for comparison.

3. Chez Henri (near Harvard) for the Cuban sandwich.

4. Pizzeria Regina - nice napoli(ish)/new york style pizza.

5. Moulton's in medford for chowder and fried seafood; was tasty, fresh and non-greasy but I can't eat that much fried food :P Chowder was really good and the prices were better than I saw anywhere else.
Mat