Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ola Dubh 40 in the T-dot?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

I grabbed 3 with 2 left at about 6:30pm on the day of the release. Couldn't post before now as one went as a gift. Apparently I was lucky since they ewere supposedly sold out at 5pm, but must have found an extra case somewhere in the back.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

icemachine wrote:I grabbed 3 with 2 left at about 6:30pm on the day of the release. Couldn't post before now as one went as a gift. Apparently I was lucky since they ewere supposedly sold out at 5pm, but must have found an extra case somewhere in the back.
Urgh... I had some bad luck. I got there at 5:40 or so and was told they just sold out after I didn't see any on the shelves. I had talked to 2 employees and the first one said the computer said there were 8 left, so then she asked the other employee that knew more about beer and he said it was sold out.

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Ale's What Cures Ya »

probstk wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:
mjohnston wrote:Toronto's closer to a lot of people than Buffalo, and without the hassle of customs.
Dealing with customs has always been better than dealing with LCBO staff.
Not really. On the way down, you have aggressive, power-trippin' American border staff. On the way back, you have potentially bitter and spiteful Canadian staff. At worst, the LCBO staff are disinterested and apathetic. And also, the damn taxes are already worked into the prices up here...no surprises!
Maybe you're just a suspicious looking sort of fellow? I've only ever paid extra on purchases twice out of the numerous times I've gone south, and only once had a problem at the border, and that was only because my idiot friend accidentally brought his wife's passport instead of his own.

The LCBO's incompetence on the other hand fills me with anger on a nearly weekly basis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:I believe it was mainly individuals who cleared them out at Summerhill a few bottles at a time.
Hell of an expensive beer, still I had to stop myself from grabbing a case just so others got a crack at the OD-40.

Anybody giving OD-12's as holiday gifts? Heck of a Gateway Beer for non-geeks. Lot of character, unusual, fairly easy to drink.
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Belgian wrote:
GregClow wrote:I believe it was mainly individuals who cleared them out at Summerhill a few bottles at a time.
Hell of an expensive beer, still I had to stop myself from grabbing a case just so others got a crack at the OD-40.

Anybody giving OD-12's as holiday gifts? Heck of a Gateway Beer for non-geeks. Lot of character, unusual, fairly easy to drink.
Does gifting oneself with OD-12 count?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

DragonOfBlood wrote:
Well sure, by the case. Done!!

Actually I heard a customer at the Cox Beach store today murmuring about 'that beer aged in whiskey' so word has really gotten around for both these beers.
In Beerum Veritas

Ale's What Cures Ya
Seasoned Drinker

Belgian wrote:
DragonOfBlood wrote:
Well sure, by the case. Done!!

Actually I heard a customer at the Cox Beach store today murmuring about 'that beer aged in whiskey' so word has really gotten around for both these beers.
Well that's good to hear at least. Now the next step is convincing the people that this is what real beer is all about.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Belgian wrote:Anybody giving OD-12's as holiday gifts? Heck of a Gateway Beer for non-geeks. Lot of character, unusual, fairly easy to drink.
I just gave the OD12 to a friend a few hours ago as part of a gift. She's just getting into good beer and seems to like darker beers so I gave her a bunch of different ones.

Fashionelle

Post by Fashionelle »

According to the lcbo site: OD40

City Address and Intersection Telephone Inventory
Date Quantity
On Hand
1. HAMILTON 233 DUNDURN STREET SOUTH (DUNDURN & CHARLETON) (905) 529-8761 - 4 left

2. BURLINGTON 2000 APPLEBY LINE
APPLEBY & UPPER MIDDLE RD (MILLCROFT) (905) 336-6200 - 1 left

Hawks28

Post by Hawks28 »

icemachine wrote:I grabbed 3 with 2 left at about 6:30pm on the day of the release. Couldn't post before now as one went as a gift. Apparently I was lucky since they ewere supposedly sold out at 5pm, but must have found an extra case somewhere in the back.
That is exactly what happened. I got there a little after 6, went straight to the area with the Ola Dubh, to find that they only had the 12 left. As soon as I get to the Ola Dubh section some guy says to me "You looking for the 40 too? Looks like were too late." I was there for both the 12 and 40 (12 sold out in my local in like 6 hours). So that guy goes and talks to one of the employees who comes over, tells us according to the computer there should still be like 15 left, but the computers probably behind and theyre most likely sold out. He looks around, and finds one last bottle behind the stack of 12 and gives it to the guy. I was a little dissapointed, because I was thinking if only I looked back there I would've got the last bottle, but I mostly just laughed thinking Oh well, at least I got the 12, which was not easy to find. The same employee comes up to me a few minutes later and says there was another case in the back, and asks me how many I want. I took 2, another guy took 4 and the rest were still there when I left.

So I got lucky. But now that theres another 100 cases coming in the new year, I suspect the majority of bartowellers in the GTA that really want a bottle will get one anyway, which is the way it should've been in the 1st place (hopefully for non GTA bartowellers, it will show up in your parts of the province too). Better late than never though. Still havent tried the 40, though I enjoyed my first bottle of the 12 I had last Sunday and am looking forward to drinking more of both.

Zuma

Post by Zuma »

I walked into the LCBO the other day for a sixer of STIPA and was surprised to see a few of the Ola Dubh 40 sitting on a shelf. I picked up a couple for myself and a few extra for those BTers on the hunt.

So if anyone in the Ottawa area has been anxiously waiting to try the Ola Dubh 40, just PM me and we can set something up.

As for the beer, I found it quite amazing. Night and day difference between it and the 12.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Just tweeted by Josh Rubin:

"The Ola Dubh 40's at LCBO warehouse. Shipping to stores likely next week. mmmmm."

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I wonder if we will see it outside of the GTA this time or if it will be a mad rush to the summerhill location to grab a bottle. I know I would definitely love to give it a try.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Looks like stock is back in on the 40. One store each in Guelph and Waterloo .

aeroeng

Post by aeroeng »

as of 3:30pm today, 20 bottles remaining at the store at hwy7 and dixie in Bramalea.