Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Muskoka Pilsner Light

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Muskoka Pilsner Light

Post by cratez »

Anyone tried this yet? I'm pretty excited about the Mixer 5 Pack, as it'll be perfect for a session or two. Their Hefe is excellent and the Cream Ale and Dark are good too. But the word "Light" always throws up red flags for me. I'm hoping it'll defy my low expectations. Thoughts?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

when i heard muskoka had a new product "light pilsner" wasnt at the top of the list of styles id have picked.

it'll probably be decent and same, like all the othe muskoka brews

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I didn't realize it was coming out, so I'm interested in trying it. I like most of their lineup.
With that said, with the hotter months ahead, I really look for drinkability, coldability, and frostability. Unless my mouth tastes frozen and mountains turn blue, I'm not interested.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I didn't realize it was coming out, so I'm interested in trying it. I like most of their lineup. (sober)

With that said, with the hotter months ahead, I really look for drinkability, coldability, and frostability. Unless my mouth tastes frozen and mountains turn blue, I'm not interested. (not)
its weird, its almost as if len got drunk partway through that post

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I didn't realize it was coming out, so I'm interested in trying it. I like most of their lineup.
With that said, with the hotter months ahead, I really look for drinkability, coldability, and frostability. Unless my mouth tastes frozen and mountains turn blue, I'm not interested.
LOL. Yeah, I think Muskoka tries to walk a fine line between making good craft beer and pleasing the cottage country, middle-aged dad, don't-give-me-too-much-flavour crowd. I'm just hoping this Pilsner won't be another 'Ontario Inoffensive' beer that aims for approachable mediocrity. But that might be wishful thinking on my part. Oh, and no offence to the middle-aged dads on this site who also happen to be beer geeks. :D

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

I saw this news earlier in the week and I was seriously disappointed.

Don't we already have several light pilsners out there?

I was just wishing that Ontario brewers would do something exciting and different. I had just come back from Quebec City where there are many craft brewers doing awesome things quite similar to the scene in the US.

Light pilsners, light lagers, cream ales.... pfffffffffffftttttttttttt. Come on.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

matt7215 wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:I didn't realize it was coming out, so I'm interested in trying it. I like most of their lineup. (sober)

With that said, with the hotter months ahead, I really look for drinkability, coldability, and frostability. Unless my mouth tastes frozen and mountains turn blue, I'm not interested. (not)
its weird, its almost as if len got drunk partway through that post

Matt, you know I'm only on here WHEN I'm DRUNK so.................

:D :D :D :D
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Just glad a brewer is making 'fishing beer' that also happens to be quite nice & drinkable. Other brewers will make challenging beers. Not these nice Muskokies.
In Beerum Veritas

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

@Belgian: What brewer is NOT brewing a "Fishing Beer"?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Peter Collins wrote:@Belgian: What brewer is NOT brewing a "Fishing Beer"?

Good question, Peter.

Currently, the list seems to be:

Denison's
Grand River

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Would GRB Hannenberg Pils not qualify?

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Peter Collins wrote:@Belgian: What brewer is NOT brewing a "Fishing Beer"?

Good question, Peter.

Currently, the list seems to be:

Denison's
Grand River
len ive gone "fishing" while floating down the grand river drinking a Plowmans Ale growler.......from the growler.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Peter Collins wrote:Would GRB Hannenberg Pils not qualify?

Well it could, but it really isn't all that accessible and isn't advertised as such.

Peter Collins

Post by Peter Collins »

Accessible in a taste sort of way or purchase sort of way?

Some quotes from the GRB site about the Pils:

"Balanced, and very drinkable Pils with great flavour"
"minimal aftertaste"

I can totally see your point but my issue is with Ontario breweries just churning out lagers, light lagers, pilsners, light pilsners, cream ales, non-hoppy pale ales, etc. I can understand and see where they are coming from but how many more shades of beige do we need?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Peter Collins wrote:Accessible in a taste sort of way or purchase sort of way?

Some quotes from the GRB site about the Pils:

"Balanced, and very drinkable Pils with great flavour"
"minimal aftertaste"

I can totally see your point but my issue is with Ontario breweries just churning out lagers, light lagers, pilsners, light pilsners, cream ales, non-hoppy pale ales, etc. I can understand and see where they are coming from but how many more shades of beige do we need?
Well, in a purchase sort of way, but also in taste. It is quite bready with lots of biscuit flavours. Perhaps not for everyone.