Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

King Pilsbock and King Dark

Contribute your own beer reviews and ratings of beers that are made or available in Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

schomberger

King Pilsbock and King Dark

Post by schomberger »

Just thought I'd point out the return of the seasonal Pilsbock. As mentioned by Belgian within amother thread, it is different (for the better)from the last version two springs back.
Alcohol level 6.5% is the same, and nicely integrated into an overall flavour and mouthfeel that leans more towards a dry bock (for me anyway) than a pilsener, despite the saaz hops. I'm really enjoying this version (now on my 3rd sixer). Oh, just for reference, it's quite different from Christoffel Noble, an imperial pilsener.

I must also mention the King Dark 080810 best before is the first batch using a coarser filtration (according to brewmaster Phil). I think the result is fantastic---seems to be a deeper, maltier flavour with a tad more body. If you haven't tried this in a while, I strongly recommend you do, but make sure it's the 080810.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Had the Pilsbock last night at C'est What and I really enjoyed this. Never had a previous version so I can't compare but this one was great.

Is this only avail in bottle at the brewery? Would love to get some for home consumption.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

Unfortunately the bottles are only available at the brewery (which is on King Road in Nobleton). I asked them about getting these seasonals into the LCBO---they may do larger format singles in the future.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

And I have to go to Nobleton on Tuesday for work. Looking forward to trying these

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I can't wait to try the Pilsbock. We always complain that OCB's don't take enough chances or brew enough different styles, but the pilsner/bock hybrid is very unique in Ontario. I'm gonna be in Toronto on the 3rd so I might make the extra trip to Nobleton.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Finally got my hands on this yesterday and it is drinking really well. Pours a deep golden hue with an amber tinge, a sliver of white head, and globs of lacing on the footed pilsner glass. Smell and taste are cherry cookie and medicinal aromas, bready German malts, wheat, sticky bock sweetness, spicy, herbal, and grassy Saaz hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is crisp, silky, tingly hop bite, dry grainy aftertaste. Quite refreshing despite the high ABV. There's nothing amazing about this beer but its very tasty and quaffable. Moreish in the sense that I always want to take another sip. A unique and original concoction, which is hard to come by in Ontario. Cheers to King Brewery for making something different.
Last edited by cratez on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Once you go black, you never go back. Once you go pilsbock, you never go....................?????????????????
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!