Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Suggest a brewery you'd like to see in Ontario

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Derek wrote:Bells.

World class brews, large brewery & it's relatively close.
I'll second Bells and add Founders while we're in Michigan and Flying Dog out of Frederick MD.

www.flyingdogales.com

pootz
Beer Superstar

Post by pootz »

Aventinus rules!

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Torontoblue wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:I'd like to see Central City in regular LCBO stock and on tap around town. Private order prices this great brewery out of the game for me.
It's not just private order prices in Ontario which take this outta the game. Here in Alberta we're paying $17.99 a six pack; that's $4.00 higher than virtually every other domestic and US 6 pack. A 6 of Anchor Liberty Ale is only $14.00 and far superior, IMHO.

I like to support local and home grown, but not when the pricing is outta kilter!

Why are they so expensive?

And apologies for going off topic.
Interesting, the Central City stuff is totally reasonable in B.C. Maybe the other provincial agencies are gouging to keep them out of the market?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Stone.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

bartle

Post by bartle »

Bells, 21A, Founders, Jolly Pumpkin.
Honorable mention for Lost Abbey...The Angel's Share is pretty gnarly.
enjoi

Lackey

Post by Lackey »

Just one brewery? Russian River - no contest.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

Tapsucker wrote:I'm surprised nobody mentioned Stone.
I love them... but they're constraining their (geographical) expansion & keeping it more local.

Founders for sure! There's a ton of great breweries in Michigan, but those two are relatively large AND world class! (I miss being close to Michigan).

notdan

Post by notdan »

This article is somewhat in opposition to Stone trying to keep things local: http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive ... ope/59589/

Seems they want to build a brewery in Europe.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

notdan wrote:This article is somewhat in opposition to Stone trying to keep things local: http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive ... ope/59589/

Good for them. They will either fall flat on their faces or be the thin edge of the wedge that wakes up the continent. Good old American risk taking. :P
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Queef

Post by Queef »

dreamers
it's beer o'clock.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Another vote for Great Divide

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I will raise my original vote a Jolly Pumpkin, and vote for Jolly Pumpkin again.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

Another vote for Great Divide

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

notdan wrote:This article is somewhat in opposition to Stone trying to keep things local: http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive ... ope/59589/

Depends how you define local... :wink:

"Stone currently exports a limited amount of its beer, but doing so doesn't make much sense. It creates a huge carbon footprint, exposes the beer to harmful heat and light, and, when all the shipping and taxes are added in, the beer is outside most European consumers' price ranges—assuming they're willing to try an American beer in the first place. "It changes it from something you could enjoy regularly to something you only drink on special occasions, and that's not the way to win skeptical potential customers," Koch says."

Hey, if it works out... maybe they'd build in Canada?

As long as we're totally dreaming, how about some New Glarus?

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Derek wrote:

Depends how you define local... :wink:

"Stone currently exports a limited amount of its beer, but doing so doesn't make much sense. It creates a huge carbon footprint, exposes the beer to harmful heat and light, and, when all the shipping and taxes are added in, the beer is outside most European consumers' price ranges—assuming they're willing to try an American beer in the first place. "It changes it from something you could enjoy regularly to something you only drink on special occasions, and that's not the way to win skeptical potential customers," Koch says."

Hey, if it works out... maybe they'd build in Canada?

As long as we're totally dreaming, how about some New Glarus?
Well, Ontario may not be local but it sure isn't that much less local than New York State.