Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Volo - wow!

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Completely agree. Would love go on the patio on a Sunday afternoon.[/quote]

best day for me, only a few minutes away and no work or big plans

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Torontoblue wrote:It used to be open on Sunday's, patio open, beers flowing; no one turned up, so they were losing money. Unless a decent sized crowd turn out each and every Sunday then it's not worthwhile opening just on the off chance a couple of people want a drink.
I think part of the problem with Sundays at Volo is the local neighbourhood. I doubt it attracts many people on a Sunday as there is not much reason to be around there. Offices in the adjacent areas are closed, likely not a large contingent of local residents, and not a popular area for tourists or weekenders from the suburbs.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

zane9 wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:It used to be open on Sunday's, patio open, beers flowing; no one turned up, so they were losing money. Unless a decent sized crowd turn out each and every Sunday then it's not worthwhile opening just on the off chance a couple of people want a drink.
I think part of the problem with Sundays at Volo is the local neighbourhood. I doubt it attracts many people on a Sunday as there is not much reason to be around there. Offices in the adjacent areas are closed, likely not a large contingent of local residents, and not a popular area for tourists or weekenders from the suburbs.
What, Yonge Street isn't a popular place to go? That part of town is always busy with people walking up or down Yonge, every day, and yes even Sunday's.

No, the problem was that the majority of beer drinkers just weren't going to Volo on a Sunday, instead deciding to stay at home and BBQ, watch sports, drink their own beer, cut the grass or decorate!

Maybe now, a couple of years along the surging craft brew popularity trip, maybe more would come out on a Sunday, but I feel it would just be a phase for a few weeks and then more 'important' things than supporting a local beer bar would eventually take over.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Torontoblue wrote:
zane9 wrote:
What, Yonge Street isn't a popular place to go? That part of town is always busy with people walking up or down Yonge, every day, and yes even Sunday's.

No, the problem was that the majority of beer drinkers just weren't going to Volo on a Sunday, instead deciding to stay at home and BBQ, watch sports, drink their own beer, cut the grass or decorate!

Maybe now, a couple of years along the surging craft brew popularity trip, maybe more would come out on a Sunday, but I feel it would just be a phase for a few weeks and then more 'important' things than supporting a local beer bar would eventually take over.
but volo is much more of a destination then it has ever been before. opening 1 - 6pm through the summer makes sense to me. if they try it for a few weeks with poor results they can alway revert back to there old ways.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yeah. I had just assumed the business for Sundays at Volo was slow, and Duggan's is also closed. Beerbistro will close up on Sundays for any small reason (maintenance or booking an event.) I guess Sundays must be a little dead!

You guys should check out the re-vamped bottle list. More choices than I will ever get through, one of the least predictable bottle lists in the city!!
In Beerum Veritas

Mr. Lou Pepe

Post by Mr. Lou Pepe »

Sunday should be a day of rest - not drinking. :roll:

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Mr. Lou Pepe wrote:Sunday should be a day of rest - not drinking. :roll:
Are you being serious, or am I missing something? Resting while drinking is a terrific combo. :)

Weebay

Post by Weebay »

Drinking is resting for me!

I just wanted to chime in and say that Volo is my go to bar in city. Tomas really cares about the beer scene in the city and has helped a lot of DDC product get into the LCBO.

Would be great if they were open on Sundays.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

I tend to hit the downtown on Mondays, but if I were in the area and Volo was open at say 4 PM on a sunday I would definitely stop in for a couple drinks.

Jon Walker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Jon Walker »

Guys, just remember it's a family run establishment. Those guys spend a LOT of time in that place providing an excellent venue for all of us 6 days a week. Let's allow them the day off shall we?
I don't always piss in a bottle but when I do...I prefer to call it Dos Equis.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jon Walker wrote:Guys, just remember it's a family run establishment. Those guys spend a LOT of time in that place providing an excellent venue for all of us 6 days a week. Let's allow them the day off shall we?
Of course it's not fair to expect. Still, can't count the times as a beer geek I think 'what about Volo - ahh damn not open right now.' That doesn't automatically mean it SHOULD be our entitlement. And I'm impressed any independent bar paying Yonge Street rents can manage as well as Volo does.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Jon Walker wrote:Guys, just remember it's a family run establishment. Those guys spend a LOT of time in that place providing an excellent venue for all of us 6 days a week. Let's allow them the day off shall we?

Absolutely. I know that if I were running the place, I'd likely close for 2 days.......but that is why I am not a bar owner. :)
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

zane9

Post by zane9 »

Had another enjoyable evening at Volo last night. Apparently Wednesdays are not typically busy there: the atmosphere was relaxed and the service was great.

The Raffaele bread and the pork pie special of the day were fine, but nothing special.

Tried a few items off the chalkboard and was not disappointed. The Taps Chuck Norris was particularly good. I finished up with the Duggans #99, from the cask.

There are a quite a few selections on a price reduction: I tried the Garrison Hopyard. To be honest it wasn't to my taste, but that's just me. It would not be on my list at full price.

Just a couple of quibbles: while food is not their focus, there is room for improvement. Also, for newbies like me who don't come in with a lot of knowledge, simple things like noting on the chalkboard that the Duggans #99 is served from cask would be helpful.

But all in all I really enjoy Volo and have introduced friends to it.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

zane9 wrote:Also, for newbies like me who don't come in with a lot of knowledge, simple things like noting on the chalkboard that the Duggans #99 is served from cask would be helpful.
The chalkboard at Volo usually notes which beer(s) is/are cask. I'm surprised to hear that wasn't the case the other night.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

GregClow wrote:
zane9 wrote:Also, for newbies like me who don't come in with a lot of knowledge, simple things like noting on the chalkboard that the Duggans #99 is served from cask would be helpful.
The chalkboard at Volo usually notes which beer(s) is/are cask. I'm surprised to hear that wasn't the case the other night.
Yup, a picture of said chalkboard is even on their website... just like being there!

http://bit.ly/cOY92d

www.barvolo.com