Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Golden Tap Awards 2010 - August 20th & 21st

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

notdan

Post by notdan »

The only surprise I saw on the winners list was Church Key - Black IPA for best beer of the fest. I just picked up a couple bottles at the brewery a few days ago and haven't tried it yet, but I really didn't have high hopes. I love their West Coast Pale Ale, but the with the oddity that is the Lactese Falcon and a flagship beer like Northumberland, I just wasn't really expecting much. I'll have to crack open a bottle of the Black IPA tonight.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

notdan wrote:The only surprise I saw on the winners list was Church Key - Black IPA for best beer of the fest. I just picked up a couple bottles at the brewery a few days ago and haven't tried it yet, but I really didn't have high hopes. I love their West Coast Pale Ale, but the with the oddity that is the Lactese Falcon and a flagship beer like Northumberland, I just wasn't really expecting much. I'll have to crack open a bottle of the Black IPA tonight.
It's really nice. I wasn't at the GTAs, but I had it on tap a few months ago at C'est What. Solid effort, I think you'll like it. At the brewery, is it in regular bottles or bombers?

notdan

Post by notdan »

velovampire wrote:At the brewery, is it in regular bottles or bombers?
Bombers. Rather pricey ones too. They were either $8 or $10, I forget. The Scarlet Pilsner was also in bombers, and was either $8 or $10... I forget which cost more. Sadly they didn't have any of the West Coast available, claiming they were too busy making Northumberland for the LCBO.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

notdan wrote:
velovampire wrote:At the brewery, is it in regular bottles or bombers?
Bombers. Rather pricey ones too. They were either $8 or $10, I forget. The Scarlet Pilsner was also in bombers, and was either $8 or $10... I forget which cost more. Sadly they didn't have any of the West Coast available, claiming they were too busy making Northumberland for the LCBO.
That's a shame re: the Black IPA in bombers. I've always found that the Church Key bombers are too pricey for purchase in quantity. I'd like to be able to pick up a case or two of the that beer, but as it stands, it really doesn't warrant that price, and I'd likely only get a couple bottles max. next time I'm there.

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

first time i actually made it to the GTAs, and it was fun even if i was tired from a long brewday and could only enjoy a pint since i was driving. that cheshire valley was the shit. i could have drank that all night.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

There's some great coverage of the Golden Taps in today's Toronto Star. I can't seem to find it online yet.

Thanks to Josh for the article. Check it out if you have the chance.

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Here's the Star article

http://www.thestar.com/living/food/arti ... rd-winners

and one in the Ottawa Citizen with a Beau's focus

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Beau+ ... story.html

To Cass
Well done all around on the GTAs!

As attendees at the dinner on Friday we just wanted to say thanks for a fantastic weekend!

Re: Jim Brickman - thanks Jim!
Living about 100 m from the brewery, it's sad that the only really good thing that comes out of that brewery now is the smell when they are brewing. We miss Jim. The world didn't need another Laker, but it sure needs another Connors or a Brick Bock.

Re: Oktoberfest in Vankleek Hill - keep it up!! imagine an Oktoberfest with real beer?! In KW they serve Heineken at Oktoberfest...something that always makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

NRman wrote:Here's the Star article

This Star article is actually from last year's GTAs!

NRman
Bar Fly

Post by NRman »

Cass wrote:
NRman wrote:Here's the Star article

This Star article is actually from last year's GTAs!
my bad. :oops:
What I said about you, Jim, and Oktoberfest is still timely though!!

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

I can't find a link to the story either, but here's the text:

Living
A celebration of Ontario beers; Public helps pick province's best brew at 8th Golden Tap Awards
Josh Rubin Toronto Star
517 words
24 August 2010
The Toronto Star
TOR
ONT
E8
English
Copyright (c) 2010 The Toronto Star

Steve Beauchesne, Ron Keefe and Ralph Morana had plenty of reasons to smile Saturday night at the Golden Tap Awards, held at downtown beer palace Beerbistro.

All three were big winners at the 8th annual awards, which celebrate Ontario's beer scene.

The awards, organized by beer aficionado website Bartowel.com, are voted on by Bartowel.com members and the public. A panel of beer experts picked four "Editor's Circle" awards.

Keefe, who runs North Toronto's Granite Brewery, won three awards: Best brewery for cask-conditioned (i.e. living) ale, best cask-conditioned ale (for his Hopping Mad IPA), and best brewpub.

Beauchesne, who runs Ottawa-area Beau's All-Natural Brewing, took home the awards for best craft brewery, and for best regularly produced craft beer.

Morana, owner of Bar Volo on Yonge St., won for the Ontario bar with the best bottled beer selection, and best cask ale selection.

Beauchesne was gratified to win the awards.

"It's nice to win judged competitions, but knowing that the public likes our beer is very nice, too," he said.

"If anything, they're even more important than the judges."

Bartowel founder Cass Enright said there were about 1,000 voters this year, a drop from about 1,500 in 2009. Enright attributed the drop to new security measures designed to foil online ballot stuffing.

2010 Golden Tap Awards

Best Ontario microbrewery: Beau's All Natural Brewing Co.

Best Ontario brewery for cask-conditioned ale: Granite Brewery

Best Ontario bar for draught beer selection: C'est What

Best Ontario bar for bottled beer selection: Bar Volo

Best Ontario bar for cask-conditioned ale: Bar Volo

Best Ontario brewpub or tied house: Granite Brewery

Best regularly produced craft beer in Ontario: Beau's Lug-Tread Lagered Ale

Best seasonal or specialty beer in Ontario: Black Oak Ten Bitter Years

Best Ontario cask-conditioned ale: Granite Hopping Mad

Best beer of the festival (Golden Tap Awards): Church Key Black IPA

Editor's Circle Awards:

Great Lakes Caskapalooza: A selection of 20 special-edition cask ales presented at the Toronto Festival of Beer.

Ralph Holm/Drinkvine.com: Holm created a website that sends users alerts when beers they're interested in arrive on LCBO shelves.

Milos Kral/Chancey Smith's: Kral is manager of Chancey Smith's, a London restaurant with an extensive beer list.

Brian Morin/Beerbistro: Morin, chef-owner of Beerbistro, was praised for his dedication to helping improve Toronto's beer scene.

Bar Volo was tapped for having the best best bottled beer selection. Steve Beauchesne, who runs Ottawa-area Beau's All Natural Brewing Co., won 2010 Golden Tap Awards for best craft brewery and best regularly produced craft beer. He said he was gratified the public voted for Beau's. Beau's All Natural Brewing Co., located near Ottawa, won two Golden Tap Awards on the weekend. Granite Brewery took home three awards. Toronto Star/Keith Beaty Zach Slootsky photo file photo

peterchiodo

Post by peterchiodo »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Very cool. I'm glad to see some new winners in there as well as some familiar ones.

Being a local, it is especially nice to see Milos and Chancey's awarded for all their hard work and dedication to the beer we all love so much.
Yes...great job Milos and Chanceys!